• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Walter Payton Award Watch List & JJ

kurtismichael

Well-known member
So The Sports Network revised the Waltor Payton Award watch list today and added 3 new players, none of whom is named Jordan Johnson. At this point in the season has his performance warranted being on the list. Vernon Adams and Denarious McGhee are on the list as a comparison to other Big Sky QBs. Please comment, discuss and debate.

I believe he should be on the list. He is near the top in the nation in pass efficiency, no INTs and the Griz are winning so far.
 
kurtismichael said:
So The Sports Network revised the Waltor Payton Award watch list today and added 3 new players, none of whom is named Jordan Johnson. At this point in the season has his performance warranted being on the list. Vernon Adams and Denarious McGhee are on the list as a comparison to other Big Sky QBs. Please comment, discuss and debate.

I believe he should be on the list. He is near the top in the nation in pass efficiency, no INTs and the Griz are winning so far.

Win and they will come.
 
I won't definitively say that JJ should be there at this point, but I do think MchGee should be taken off. Yeah, he missed a couple of games due to injury, but one TD pass at this point in the season doesn't exactly scream national player of the year to me. :twocents:
 
Personally I think McGhee does deserve to be on the list. They got beat by SFA for Goodness sake. They are nothing without him. He is a winner...unfortunately. And not a bad guy either, so they say. I for one expect JJ to be on there after we beat CP and EWU. GO GRIZ!
 
I believe there is one more watch list update before the finalists are announced in early December. If JJ continues on his present course, as do the Griz, he'll probably be on the next update.

I don't believe DM should be penalized for injury, but if he doesn't pick up his pace before the next watch list is released, he should probably be removed. At any rate, it's kind of moot. They put a ton of guys on those lists and only a few have a chance to win it.
 
mcg said:
JJ not on the list is baloney, just look at the stats.............
Okay.
#2 in passing efficiency. JJ = 186.0, #1 Adams (EWU) = 188.3
#2 yards per completion. JJ = 16.95, #1 McDonagh (PSU) = 17.58
#8 in passing TD. JJ = 16, with NO INT.
. . . . #1 Jimmy Garoppolo (East Illinois) = 28 (4 INT)
. . . . #4 B Bialkowski (Lehigh) = 17 (8 INT)

Here's the killer:
#42 in passing yards. JJ = 1,322. #1 Jimmy Garoppolo (East Illinois) = 2,359.
. . . . #2 Bialkowski (Lehigh) = 2,174
. . . . #8 Adams (EWU) = 1,891

With their powerful running game, the Griz simply don't need JJ to pass all the time ... so he doesn't pile up the huge yardage.
And when they get close, JJ has backs who can pound it in, so he does not get so many passing TDs.
 
IdaGriz01 said:
mcg said:
JJ not on the list is baloney, just look at the stats.............
Okay.
#2 in passing efficiency. JJ = 186.0, #1 Adams (EWU) = 188.3
#2 yards per completion. JJ = 16.95, #1 McDonagh (PSU) = 17.58
#8 in passing TD. JJ = 16, with NO INT.
. . . . #1 Jimmy Garoppolo (East Illinois) = 28 (4 INT)
. . . . #4 B Bialkowski (Lehigh) = 17 (8 INT)

Here's the killer:
#42 in passing yards. JJ = 1,322. #1 Jimmy Garoppolo (East Illinois) = 2,359.
. . . . #2 Bialkowski (Lehigh) = 2,174
. . . . #8 Adams (EWU) = 1,891

With their powerful running game, the Griz simply don't need JJ to pass all the time ... so he doesn't pile up the huge yardage.
And when they get close, JJ has backs who can pound it in, so he does not get so many passing TDs.

Still, 17 isn't too shabby, and obviously no one can touch him in TD-to-interceptions ratio. :lol:
 
JJ is playing very efficient, smart, and winning football and I think he is one of the best QBs in the country, but he isn't putting up the big numbers nor has the big wins that are going to get him on that list yet. McGhee will stay on there, because he was on there initially and he's played well enough where it would be tough to take him off. If JJ was on the list initially, he'd still be up there too. Just kind of how polls and award watch lists go unfortunately... If JJ can play at the level he is playing at and get some wins over the Polys, EWUs, etc... he'll be on the list before seasons end.
 
IdaGriz01 said:
mcg said:
JJ not on the list is baloney, just look at the stats.............
Okay.
#2 in passing efficiency. JJ = 186.0, #1 Adams (EWU) = 188.3
#2 yards per completion. JJ = 16.95, #1 McDonagh (PSU) = 17.58
#8 in passing TD. JJ = 16, with NO INT.
. . . . #1 Jimmy Garoppolo (East Illinois) = 28 (4 INT)
. . . . #4 B Bialkowski (Lehigh) = 17 (8 INT)

Here's the killer:
#42 in passing yards. JJ = 1,322. #1 Jimmy Garoppolo (East Illinois) = 2,359.
. . . . #2 Bialkowski (Lehigh) = 2,174
. . . . #8 Adams (EWU) = 1,891

With their powerful running game, the Griz simply don't need JJ to pass all the time ... so he doesn't pile up the huge yardage.
And when they get close, JJ has backs who can pound it in, so he does not get so many passing TDs.


Thanks for the stats and rankings IdaGriz. I was wondering about the yardage comparison.
 
Passing yards and passing ypg is the killer. If he continues to play so efficiently it'll get attention but for now they're looking for eye-popping stats, especially with passing yards.

JJ's a victim of the system that is this offense in the sense that it's not totally reliant on him to be anything and everything it needs. And for the Payton award winner that kind of role just isn't what they're looking for.

I think if you look at that award for the most important player... I would think that Adams, McGhee, maybe even McDonough, and possibly Bauman would be ahead of him in terms of a single player's importance (statistically) on the field.

Best thing for JJ is to keep doing what he's doing, playing uber-smart football, next to no turnovers, and keep winning. He may turn some heads for consideration if the Griz get through the next 3 games with wins, which is a TALL order, and if he puts up solid numbers.
 
Honestly, if we can rush for 250+ every game and his PE remains high we are going to win a lot more games than when he is forced to throw for 300+.

Just saying.
 
Speaking of JJ and Denarius.....

A bud, and huge Bobcat fan, of mine asked me if I would trade JJ for DM. I tried to keep my Griz bias out of it and answered him honestly "no".

He proceeded to tell me I'm brainwashed and an idiot. He also said every single FCS coach would take DM over JJ. I admitted to him that both DM and JJ are incredible players and are extremely valuable to their teams. I then challenged him a bit and said here are just a couple reasons why:

- in their only head to head meeting, JJ beat DM
- JJ has led his team to the FCS semi-finals, a feat DM has not yet completed
- JJs stats and ability to win games is on the same level as DMs and better if you take into account my previous points

He continued to be berate me and tell me I'm a brain washed jack ass. In my opinion, there is no way a Bobcat fan can make their choice without bias and same with a Griz fan. 99.9 percent of Cat fans will choose DM on principle while 99.9 percent of Griz fans will take JJ. I really was trying to take bias out of it and go with my reasons above which I think are legit.

What say you? Am I a brain washed idiot? If you're a Griz fan I'm guessing "no I'm not". If you're a Cat fan I'm guessing "yes I am".
 
IdaGriz01 said:
mcg said:
JJ not on the list is baloney, just look at the stats.............
Okay.
#2 in passing efficiency. JJ = 186.0, #1 Adams (EWU) = 188.3
#2 yards per completion. JJ = 16.95, #1 McDonagh (PSU) = 17.58
#8 in passing TD. JJ = 16, with NO INT.
. . . . #1 Jimmy Garoppolo (East Illinois) = 28 (4 INT)
. . . . #4 B Bialkowski (Lehigh) = 17 (8 INT)

Here's the killer:
#42 in passing yards. JJ = 1,322. #1 Jimmy Garoppolo (East Illinois) = 2,359.
. . . . #2 Bialkowski (Lehigh) = 2,174
. . . . #8 Adams (EWU) = 1,891

With their powerful running game, the Griz simply don't need JJ to pass all the time ... so he doesn't pile up the huge yardage.
And when they get close, JJ has backs who can pound it in, so he does not get so many passing TDs.


Thanks for the research and info and thanks for taking my comment literally :D
 
I'm not crazy about DM's accuracy and decision making. He is a good scrambler but to me he's never been an elite passer. JJ has great decision making, also a great scrambler and has at times been a ridiculously accurate passer, though over the last few games his accuracy has waned. So yea I'd take JJ, but would love to have DM as a backup!
 
Maybe if you guys kept games closer JJ would have to throw more in the 2nd half and his stats would be more impressive....
 
HookedonGriz said:
Speaking of JJ and Denarius.....

A bud, and huge Bobcat fan, of mine asked me if I would trade JJ for DM. I tried to keep my Griz bias out of it and answered him honestly "no".

He proceeded to tell me I'm brainwashed and an idiot. He also said every single FCS coach would take DM over JJ. I admitted to him that both DM and JJ are incredible players and are extremely valuable to their teams. I then challenged him a bit and said here are just a couple reasons why:

- in their only head to head meeting, JJ beat DM
- JJ has led his team to the FCS semi-finals, a feat DM has not yet completed
- JJs stats and ability to win games is on the same level as DMs and better if you take into account my previous points

He continued to be berate me and tell me I'm a brain washed jack ass. In my opinion, there is no way a Bobcat fan can make their choice without bias and same with a Griz fan. 99.9 percent of Cat fans will choose DM on principle while 99.9 percent of Griz fans will take JJ. I really was trying to take bias out of it and go with my reasons above which I think are legit.

What say you? Am I a brain washed idiot? If you're a Griz fan I'm guessing "no I'm not". If you're a Cat fan I'm guessing "yes I am".


JJ :D
 
Back
Top