• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Visits

Mslacat

I hear the Griz are entertaining quite a few recruits / visitor over the next few days.

I understand that on campus today are two unofficial (meaning they paid their own way) visit from Josh Brey and Daniel Meyer.

Josh Brey is a 6-2 guard from Stillwater Christian high school in Kalispell. He can play both guard positions but is thought shooting guard is his natural spot in college. He averaged 22 points 7 rebounds 2 assists and 2 steals per game last year. After he finishes with his Montana visit he will be heading to Bozeman to visit Montana State. Both schools are trying to get him to walk on.

Daniel Meyer is a 6-9 center from Billings Central high school. He averaged 20 points 13 rebounds and 2 blocks per game last season. While projected as a pf/c in college I would lean more towards pegging him as a center. He is intriguing because they are not sure if he is done growing yet. I hear that if he does not get a D-1 scholarship offer he will enroll at Quakerdale Prep school next year and reclassify as a 2014 prospect. The Griz may be looking more at signing him in the fall (2014 class) similar to what they did with Martin.

Additionally I hear the Griz will have 3 Official recruits in this week end. I have not heard yet who they are but I've been told the Griz are scouring the country (and elsewhere) for a big man. There have been a few JC big men I have heard who signed else where, but I have heard they are interested in a guy from Canada, a 7 footer from a Arizona prep school, JC ranks as well as possibly an international player. I continue to hear the Griz will sign at least (and most likely only) one player this spring, which would leave them one over the scholarship level for next year. Word has it with Bradshaw coming on board next year in January, Emerson and or possibly Henderson may be cut to make room.

"Senior Day" is hosting 5-7 high school kids, today, all unofficial visits. The 3 official visits are this weekend. Griz are working hard to find big men, true.

Mslacat said:
I hear the Griz are entertaining quite a few recruits / visitor over the next few days.

I understand that on campus today are two unofficial (meaning they paid their own way) visit from Josh Brey and Daniel Meyer.

Josh Brey is a 6-2 guard from Stillwater Christian high school in Kalispell. He can play both guard positions but is thought shooting guard is his natural spot in college. He averaged 22 points 7 rebounds 2 assists and 2 steals per game last year. After he finishes with his Montana visit he will be heading to Bozeman to visit Montana State. Both schools are trying to get him to walk on.

Daniel Meyer is a 6-9 center from Billings Central high school. He averaged 20 points 13 rebounds and 2 blocks per game last season. While projected as a pf/c in college I would lean more towards pegging him as a center. He is intriguing because they are not sure if he is done growing yet. I hear that if he does not get a D-1 scholarship offer he will enroll at Quakerdale Prep school next year and reclassify as a 2014 prospect. The Griz may be looking more at signing him in the fall (2014 class) similar to what they did with Martin.

Additionally I hear the Griz will have 3 Official recruits in this week end. I have not heard yet who they are but I've been told the Griz are scouring the country (and elsewhere) for a big man. There have been a few JC big men I have heard who signed else where, but I have heard they are interested in a guy from Canada, a 7 footer from a Arizona prep school, JC ranks as well as possibly an international player. I continue to hear the Griz will sign at least (and most likely only) one player this spring, which would leave them one over the scholarship level for next year. Word has it with Bradshaw coming on board next year in January, Emerson and or possibly Henderson may be cut to make room.

Cut Henderson? I just find that hard to believe.

Thanks for the update, mslacat! If it came down to cutting either Emerson or Henderson, I gotta believe it's Emerson. Henderson has too great a role to let him go. However, there is always more to the story than we get to see.

Henderson cut??? That can't be right. Heard Tinkle praise him after the season and say he was the most athletically gifted player we have. Unless there's been some major behind-the-scenes malfeasance since, I would be shocked if it wasn't Emerson...

Sudzilla said:
There are no plans to cut anyone.

Unless, of course, they do.

My understanding as of now, they intend to sign a big guy and Emerson will get his scholly pulled.

The Griz will have 6-5 guard / forward Jared Dimakos from Triton JC in this later today for an official visit.
Jared is more of a small forward but can play the shooting guard also and averaged 13 points 4 rebounds 57% field goal, 38% 3 point field goal 64% Free throw. He is an academic qualifier and will have three years of elliigiblity to play with the Griz. Feeling is if the Griz offer he should commit. Considering the players returning and the addition Riley Bradshaw next year this recruit surprised me.

Mslacat said:
The Griz will have 6-5 guard / forward Jared Dimakos from Triton JC in this later today for an official visit.
Jared is more of a small forward but can play the shooting guard also and averaged 13 points 4 rebounds 57% field goal, 38% 3 point field goal 64% Free throw. He is an academic qualifier and will have three years of elliigiblity to play with the Griz. Feeling is if the Griz offer he should commit. Considering the players returning and the addition Riley Bradshaw next year this recruit surprised me.
This guy sounds great, except for the free throw shooting...hopefully he can improve that to around the 75% mark.

Little more info: Jared spent his first year in college as a walk-on at Wisconsin Green Bay as a redshirt. They did offer him a scholarship so he transferred to Triton where he was an all district as a freshman. The three years is very attractive. Back-up Kareem next year and then compete for a starting spot his junior year.

Sudzilla said:
We don't need to cut anyone if we only sign 1 kid this spring. We only had 12 scholarship players last year which means even with signing two in the fall we still have one to give. If we do over sign this spring Henderson will be the one to go. Tinks has shown over the years he is not going to drop his hardest working practice player in favor of a kid who has been in trouble repeatedly.

Also, I love the "senior day" idea. Especially for the in-state kids. I like the sounds of that big kid from Billings Central, that would be sweet if we could get him this year or next!

temp said:
Sudzilla said:
We don't need to cut anyone if we only sign 1 kid this spring. We only had 12 scholarship players last year which means even with signing two in the fall we still have one to give. If we do over sign this spring Henderson will be the one to go. Tinks has shown over the years he is not going to drop his hardest working practice player in favor of a kid who has been in trouble repeatedly.

Also, I love the "senior day" idea. Especially for the in-state kids. I like the sounds of that big kid from Billings Central, that would be sweet if we could get him this year or next!

You are correct that the Griz only had 12 scholarship players this spring when the lost that JC Center. and then the lost two seniors off this team (Ward and Cherry). That brings the Griz down to 10 returning scholarship players. This fall they sign guards Dunn and Gfefler in to scholarships that brought them up to 12 scholarships (of the 13 max allowed by the NCAA). In January the Griz gave their last scholarship 2013-14 to Riley Bradshaw when he transferred from Utah State to Montana.

Now maybe someone is choosing to go off scholarship, one of the 3 recruits did not make grade, one of the 10 returning players we assume is under scholarship is not, one player did not make grades (ala Reader last year) or someone wants to transfer. That said though if for every player the Griz sign this spring one of the above stated options has to be true.

The interesting thing is they have a JC wing in today. If you would have asked me before this the 1-3 spots seem to be the strongest on the team. You have league MVP returning lots of experiences I count 6 returning players plus one of the best point guard recruits since cherry already on the books for next year.

Also in this week end is 7'-0" Kaj Sherman of North Idaho junior college. Sherman averaged 8 points and 6 rebounds a game 59% field goals, 68% free throw. North Idaho so far has placed 5 kids at D-1 schools this year. Sherman averaged 20 minutes a game. He visited u of Texas San Antonio last week. UTSA have signed 4 North Idaho players over the past 3 years.

Mslacat said:

Hmmm--another 7-footer from the Great White North had a pretty nice career @ Gonzaga...some dude named Kelly :D

I like our odds here. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&cfg=bb&yr=2013&pid=-1&sspid=-1&iRatingValue=-1&iGetJUCOFlag=-1&iCommitFlag=-1&iGroupbyPosition=0&toinid=391&iInterestLevelId=-1&iOffer=-1&iRecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not much to go with here. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/recruit-search-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just posted today on the ESPN recruiting board is a purported Montana offer to 6'-8" power forward Joe Boyd from Chaparral H. S. in Scottsdale, AZ. I am not an espn insider, so I can't get the complete player profile.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/125843/joe-boyd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grizzlyjournal said:
Just posted today on the ESPN recruiting board is a purported Montana offer to 6'-8" power forward Joe Boyd from Chaparral H. S. in Scottsdale, AZ. I am not an espn insider, so I can't get the complete player profile.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/125843/joe-boyd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I read it correctly he has verbally committed to Drake. That doesn't mean much until signing date but usually it is an advantage to the team he has verbally committed to.

Back