• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

university needs to do better

mtgrizfankb

I'm.on campus and there is not a single poster or sign or anything about the game this week.its sad. This is why the students no longer are showing up to games. The university is showing no support. Sad day for athletics here. In 11 there were banners up to beat the cats, there were FTC signs by frats or students. I don't understand what's going on.

When hired Royce Engstrom spoke to the power that athletics has in branding/marketing to new potential students and how continued athletic success played a vital role in the student's on-campus experience.

It seems he's fogotten his own words now.

The UM does not advertise/present itself during road games, it's now to the point where MSU runs ads for their campus during Griz games. What do you want to bet that we don't see a single UM ad during this weekend's brawl?

And now we're seeing the UM doesn't even interact with the students in regards to getting attendance up for the game. They also seem to not promote awareness of upcoming important games (is there any push to get students to come cheer the Lady Griz and get Selvig his 800th win tonight? I doubt it).

It's a mess, this administration wrongly thought that marketing and continual communication/promotion was not needed as long as the teams continued to do "well enough" and it's becoming clear that a continual message and mix of new techniques and practices is needed to keep fans engaged and excited to take part in athletic attendance. Same can be said for student enrollment too. The UM and the powers that be which handle this is totally missing the bus.

I am not sure there is anything that upsets me more than watching a Grizzly game on TV and seeing a recruiting ad for Montana State. It is baffling. Granted, I know UM's budget is tight due to lower enrollment numbers. But to improve that budget outlook, UM needs more students.

Also, I think it has been brought up before, but what the hell is a Udall Scholar? If the average person/prospective student needs to google the meaning of your billboard, that is not an effective billboard.

Did you know that UM has more rhodes and udall scholars than any other university in the rocky mountain west?

well, that's what they want you to know. #GoAcademics

chris said:
Did you know that UM has more rhodes and udall scholars than any other university in the rocky mountain west?

well, that's what they want you to know. #GoAcademics

lol.. has there even been a Rhodes Scholar in our lifetime? Have the Cats won a national championship since the last one? That marketing focusing on the academic achievements of UM is laughable considering UM is ranked #421 or something by Forbes Magazine as far as education quality.

This week used to be huge. Home or away ppl wore griz all week and FTC was a common find. Now the UM doesn't care. Wtf we are going to the playoffs just got a big win and going to beat the cats and the university is taking a nap

BWahlberg said:
What do you want to bet that we don't see a single UM ad during this weekend's brawl?

And now we're seeing the UM doesn't even interact with the students in regards to getting attendance up for the game. They also seem to not promote awareness of upcoming important games (is there any push to get students to come cheer the Lady Griz and get Selvig his 800th win tonight? I doubt it).
On the University of Montana website there is a write-up that mentions Selvig's 800th and how he got there. I don't see anywhere any informing notifications or articles about the upcoming Montana/Montana State game (as you mentioned). If you go to MSU's website, the first thing you see is this weekend's football game and message about the Montana-Montana State food drive challenge. As for a UM ad during the game, I am with BW...UM should be unloading ads during the game as well as promoting the upcoming Griz basketball season with a bball ad too.

At this point, I think it's up to the students and fans (the die Garda) to start promoting these games to the public and get excitement going. If the University isn't willing to do it, we might as well do our best to get the word out.

I know I read on here about our collective disappointment with the job that RE has done, but is this guy feeling any real heat about his job performance, say from boosters, BOR, media or student groups? I hate to see our school go down in flames. It is getting embarrassing. There were several MSU commercials on during the Griz game Saturday. If UM had a commercial run it wasn't very memorable.

There were several video ads during the game promoting Selvigs big game.. lots of brawl of the wild stuff.
I don't really remember a lot of 'media' on campus/buildings promoting sporting events while I attended (20 years ago) so I don't know if thats a change or not.
If you are a student, and don't know about these games, then you obviously don't care.
Those who care will seek this information out.
We don't need to force feed the students this stuff.

My two cents..

The times, they are changing

...speaking of time, our former UM head had great timing as he evaporated into the ether..

Got a building named for him to mark his reign too...

Nobody current is blameless, but all we got going now did not just happen all at once

Bigger that football, higher Ed in our state is facing huge tidal change, from next weeks game to a whole lot yet to be revealed we are in for a bumpy ride

.....still believe in our guys this Saturday no matter what....go griz....

I've been on campus for the last 8 ish years and the reason I see that students don't like the games anymore is because of.all the shit that's happened over the last 3 ish years. This isn't the students team it's an old mans team. I like Delaney but the students don't and the students absolutely hate the direction the team is going. Obviously there are exceptions but it's really hard to get behind a team that drastically changes every year because some fuck tard keeps making coaching and qb changes. People got behind Hauck and chase and lex and colt because those were icons throughout the years but honestly besides Tripp we have no icon on our team. Delaney isn't established as our head coach and probably never will be and as far as I could tell most students absolutely were disgusted from day 1 of the jj situation. I personally interacted with many students who all were familiar with the girl and knew she was crazy. So it's kinda hard to support a team who doesn't support you.

Eriul said:
I've been on campus for the last 8 ish years and the reason I see that students don't like the games anymore is because of.all the shit that's happened over the last 3 ish years. This isn't the students team it's an old mans team. I like Delaney but the students don't and the students absolutely hate the direction the team is going. Obviously there are exceptions but it's really hard to get behind a team that drastically changes every year because some f*** tard keeps making coaching and qb changes. People got behind Hauck and chase and lex and colt because those were icons throughout the years but honestly besides Tripp we have no icon on our team. Delaney isn't established as our head coach and probably never will be and as far as I could tell most students absolutely were disgusted from day 1 of the jj situation. I personally interacted with many students who all were familiar with the girl and knew she was crazy. So it's kinda hard to support a team who doesn't support you.

The students love JJ and Tripp. Honestly they are both icons. This stuff used to force fed to the students. People say the hate for msu and they joined. Last years loosing really did hurt the students. However, these students need to feel the passion of griz football that this university has had. I hate the cats with all I have. These students don't really care...it sad. Someone needs to enhance the spirit at the U.

GrizBacker04 said:
I am not sure there is anything that upsets me more than watching a Grizzly game on TV and seeing a recruiting ad for Montana State. It is baffling. Granted, I know UM's budget is tight due to lower enrollment numbers. But to improve that budget outlook, UM needs more students.

Also, I think it has been brought up before, but what the hell is a Udall Scholar? If the average person/prospective student needs to google the meaning of your billboard, that is not an effective billboard.

You raise great issues....budget is more than tight, without some serious financial infusion our flagship university is in free fall

It is tough to see my school in these straights

AllWeatherFan said:
Eriul said:
So it's kinda hard to support a team who doesn't support you.

How did the team not support the students?
I think it's safe to say that the students were overwhelmingly in favor of jj in his dilemma. But all we heard for a year was how the university needs to protect the integrity. You can compare the jj situation to the FSu situation right now. And our ads will reAct in completely different ways. Let's just say it's not very appealing to be a student if you're in danger of being kicked out because some crazy lady says you raped her

And as far as not supporting the students... I don't honestly think the university spends their money properly to support the students and I think they have incredible budget issues but that's a huge topic for another thread.

Back