• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UNI and Cubbies

chickenman

I read on another board that those UNIers didn't handle the Cubbie crowd very well the last time them Kittie Kats were out Montana way. Is that true? If so, this week in Henville, the Rooster Boosters will be on those Kitties like white on rice, all day. :lol:

There was bad blood going into the game. They lost a playoff game here about ten years ago and thought they got homered. Then for the 2001 game they didn't want to do a film exchange. So the crowd was all revved up from the get go. The game got out of hand and among other things, one of their players took his fist to one of our player's family jewels in plain sight of everyone. To be fair, our guy was kind of standing over him with a little bit of flair after breaking up a pass. But the nutcracker move was a little much of a response.

Then other urban legends were born. Some woman behind their bench started yelling racial insults, another of their players spit on a cameraman, etc. etc. Most of it is he said she said type stuff.

But since then there is no love lost between the two programs.

I thought it was nice that the field at N Iowa is named after the group that supplies them with the most recruits "Sheriff Field"

Sheriff Field is named after longtime coach and AD, Stan Sheriff. Stan was a terrific and generous human being and was a very dear friend of my family. He had the vision back in the early 70's to build a Dome that would improve the University's image and boost the local economy. People thought he was nuts, but he had the perseverance to see it through and the Dome was completed and opened in 1976. Stan hired my father in 1980 and I was very proud when they named the field in his honor. Stan died of a heart attack in 1991.

Gee, Panter, you sure know how to make a fella feel bad, don't you? :eek:

There was a little bad blood going into that game. But the truth is UNI thought they going to roll all over the Griz and came in just about as cocky as it gets. They left with their tails between their legs.

The receiver's shot to the groin was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen a player do. It was like he was asking to be kicked out of the game.

As I remember, Dave Decoite looked about like this: :eek:

GrizBear said:
Gee, Panter, you sure know how to make a fella feel bad, don't you? :eek:

There was a little bad blood going into that game. But the truth is UNI thought they going to roll all over the Griz and came in just about as cocky as it gets. They left with their tails between their legs.

The receiver's shot to the groin was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen a player do. It was like he was asking to be kicked out of the game.

As I remember, Dave Decoite looked about like this: :eek:

Or kind of like this
punchself.gif

I didn't post that to make anybody feel bad. I just wanted to explain why it was named Sheriff Field. Soliday's punch to DeCroite's man parts must have been one of the worst things ever b/c I have never seen an act in sports get as much mileage as his. Truth is, every team is guilty every year of having a player do something stupid on or off the field. They are 18-22 year old guys who are young, dumb and full of ____. In my 23 years of following the Panthers, I have been proud of the Football program overall, but that fateful day in December '01 was not a moment I will reflect on with pride. 8)

P.S. Smiley faced guy punching himself in the man parts is hilarious!!

Latest posts

Back