• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM has 'enrollment problem,' Engstrom tells regents

PlayerRep

Surprise, surprise.

"UM President Royce Engstrom told regents. “We have an enrollment problem.”

"UM saw its enrollment peak in 2011 at 15,669 students, and has steadily decreased by an estimated 1,100 students over the past two years, carrying broad implications for the school’s budget."

"At the same time, Montana State University expects its enrollment numbers to top 15,000 for the first time in school history, marking a 21 percent increase since 2010."

"The decline anticipated this year at UM pertains only to the Missoula campus, Engstrom noted. The other three UM-affiliated schools remain on track with past enrollment figures."

"Engstrom named a variety of factors for the recent decline, including the economy, competition from other schools – both in state and out – and changing demographics in Montana." [Hum, so these factors don't apply to MSU? Does Engstrom not realize that he and some of his decisions are the problem?]

"The budget presented by Engstrom included a perceived increase in the number of contract administrators to students. In 2012, the ratio stood at 88.8 students for every administrator. This year, however, it’s projected to hit just 64.6 students per administrator."

"The budget presented by Engstrom included a perceived increase in the number of contract administrators to students. In 2012, the ratio stood at 88.8 students for every administrator. This year, however, it’s projected to hit just 64.6 students per administrator."

http://www.ravallirepublic.com/news/state-and-regional/article_ba0d6bbd-f4c6-5bd9-b521-cc9d7fa4d61c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
So now criminals are not enrolling at UM?

GOOD

Way to clean it up RE! :thumb:
Yes....1100 criminals decided not to enroll at um because of fucknuts and his heroic decisions.

That has to be it....

Fuck Royce....

stubbins said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

GOOD

Yes....1100 criminals decided not to enroll at um because of fucknuts and his heroic decisions.

That has to be it....

Fuck Royce....

The poet laureate is back! Solid post, Milt! You're in mid-season form already.

From personal experience, my daughter spent 2+ years in the university and discovered that none of the freshmen level classes were available to her because they were full. So, in order to finish in 4 years she now discovered it was likely to take 5+ years to get her undergrad degree. This is a huge problem that needs to be addressed by the university. I would wager that if interviewed, most exiting seniors did not get it done in 4 years...simply because the classes needed were not available in the order they needed to get through them. This is just one issue to be addressed!

Catsrback76 said:
From personal experience, my daughter spent 2+ years in the university and discovered that none of the freshmen level classes were available to her because they were full. So, in order to finish in 4 years she now discovered it was likely to take 5+ years to get her undergrad degree. This is a huge problem that needs to be addressed by the university. I would wager that if interviewed, most exiting seniors did not get it done in 4 years...simply because the classes needed were not available in the order they needed to get through them. This is just one issue to be addressed!
For what it is worth many of the same challenges were present while I was getting my degree in agriculture at msu.

That may be true, but it seems to be epidemic at UM and it is a very costly problem to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Catsrback76 said:
That may be true, but it seems to be epidemic at UM and it is a very costly problem to have.

What did your daughter take in school for over 2 years without ever getting into a freshman level class?

The key is to plug into an advisor and take things in order. You start floating around, changing majors, then yes things might seem as they're not. If an individual is there and focused on an education they will find "friendlier" results.

Since this is a football forum I like the "enrollment" numbers at WA Grizzly Stadium from all of us "5 year graduates."

So is the bigger problem current um students transferring out, or low numbers of incoming freshman? If the latter, i dont think advising has anything to do with it.

Catsrback76 said:

Other than your daughter do you have any concrete evidence of this epidemic catastrophic event at UM? Or is this a complaint by the student?

UM does not have an "enrollment problem"; it has a "leadership problem".

Engstrom has been a disaster from the moment he took over at Main Hall.

This is one alumnus who would not give a dime to my alma mater until some serious changes are made.

IMO enrollment issues at UM have two main driving factors..1) Engstrom is a duesch!! 2) The jobs that are available in this country and that companies and corporations are looking for in the future are not available to a large degree at the UM. We do good in areas like the sciences and pharmacy..but than again we have a huge number of students that go into dumb shit that wont get you a job anywhere like the History of French poetry and bull shit like that. If UM wants to see the kids come back they will do more investing in tech programs and programs that feed into the economic activity in the region...ie OIL BOOM. But instead the UM is the first to throw a stone and bash any type of economic activity that has high paying jobs(energy extraction). While in Watford I work and deal with graduates from Montana State and NDSU on a daily basis, and this is because those schools don't turn their heads to the direction jobs in this country are going.

I'm now stepping off my soapbox!!

grizfromhel said:
UM does not have an "enrollment problem"; it has a "leadership problem".

Engstrom has been a disaster from the moment he took over at Main Hall.

This is one alumnus who would not give a dime to my alma mater until some serious changes are made.

Make that two alumni. I will never give anything to UM while that dipshit is in charge.

stubbins said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

GOOD

Yes....1100 criminals decided not to enroll at um because of f***[*] and his heroic decisions.

That has to be it....

f*** Royce....
Don't bite too hard on AG's comments. Even he isn't dumb enough to believe what he just posted. Back on subject, at what point are we going to quit blaming Royce and start pointing at the BOR? This far in, they are now responsible for the continuing debacle. I think Royce knows he is in over his head, but why quit a good playing job.

At the economic summit this week at Tech, they said there are over 400 computer-sci jobs in MT (apparently Oracle just bought RightNow) but only about 40 students in that degree program in the entire MT university system. Something is wrong, and not just at UM.

Back