• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Announces Move Down to DII in 2014

Silvertip

University of Montana President Royce Engstrom and the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference office in Colorado Springs, Colorado anounced jointly today that the school will leave the Big Sky Conference to join the RMAC effective July 1, 2014. The RMAC includes schools in Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico and South Dakota.

Engstrom said "the step down is a proper decision" for an institution that has continued to reduce its foot print in intercollegiate athletics over the past six decades." Montana departed the defunct Pacific Coast Conference in 1950 before becoming a member of the Skyline Conference from 1951 to 1962 when Utah, Wyoming, BYU and New Mexico broke away to form the Western Athletic Conference. Montana became a founding member of the Big Sky Conference in 1963.

UM Athletic Director Kent Haslam said that the move to the RMAC will allow the school to add women's field hockey along with women's softball which had already been planned. Montana State University, which left the RMAC to become an original member of the Big Sky Conference, announced that they will not be joining UM in the move. MSU President Waded Cruzado says "our options remain open as regards the future of our intercollegiate athletic program."

Jerry Punch said:
JSTGriz said:
Happy April Fool!!

The amount of hurt in Silvertip's butt makes this less of an April Fool's day joke and more of a glimpse into his mind.

This from a vacuous five month old newbie who claims to be a fan of "anybody."... why are you even here?

Silvertip said:
Jerry Punch said:
JSTGriz said:
Happy April Fool!!

The amount of hurt in Silvertip's butt makes this less of an April Fool's day joke and more of a glimpse into his mind.

This from a vacuous five month old newbie who claims to be a fan of "anybody."... why are you even here?

So . . . am I wrong or did I just get that butt hurting a little bit more?

Jerry Punch said:
Silvertip said:
Jerry Punch said:
JSTGriz said:
Happy April Fool!!

Don't overestimate your capability.

kemajic said:
Jerry Punch said:
Silvertip said:
Jerry Punch said:

Don't overestimate your capability.

I think you both answered the question by underestimating just how broken your record is.

Given the current leadership at UM and the Pat Williams direction of UM athletics, I wouldn't be suprised to see Silvertip's announcement become factual.

Back