• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tripp - word association

Didn't see the game but my phone blew up with texts on the forced fumble. Not the first time his actions have saved a game this season.

Oh yeah the word?

Playmaker

Just don't go back and watch his attempted tackle on the USD QB late in the 4th...that was a tad bit embarrassing...

AZGrizFan said:
Just don't go back and watch his attempted tackle on the USD QB late in the 4th...that was a tad bit embarrassing...
or any other play of the game for that matter

So far this season, I'd say he's "Opperud-esque" - living off a past reputation and looking over-rated. He's hasn't been the best linebacker on the field yet this season, but still gets all the ink. Hmmmm?

He's struggled more than I had anticipated. However, he has also made some plays this year that have been "momentum changers". Right now I can still think of him as... "Game Changer'. :egriz:

Elk Slayer said:
Overrated. Plain and simple...
He continues to try to play three positions instead of maintaining the discipline to play his own. He is all over the place and frequently sucked out of position. He's very talented, but trying to do too much. Too many whiffs for a Buchanan candidate; I expected more of him this year.

Elk Slayer said:
You are correct. He is very athletic And talented, has not had a great year. Fact. One decent play does not make a superstar. Coyle on the other hand has been clutch.

Ambassador.

His work off the field and his love for the griz have made him a great ambassador for this team. As a linebacker, he is the 3rd best tackling linebacker we have. Coyle is number 1 by a landslide. He is not alone in being out of position. We are not a gap sound defensive in the front 7 with the exception of Coyle. Our DC gets too cute with the zone blitz (which has fooled no one this year) and we get guys out of position. We are not a disciplined defense and we do not have a mentality where everyone does their 1/11. This goes back to coaching.

grizatwork said:
Ambassador.

His work off the field and his love for the griz have made him a great ambassador for this team. As a linebacker, he is the 3rd best tackling linebacker we have. Coyle is number 1 by a landslide. He is not alone in being out of position. We are not a gap sound defensive in the front 7 with the exception of Coyle. Our DC gets too cute with the zone blitz (which has fooled no one this year) and we get guys out of position. We are not a disciplined defense and we do not have a mentality where everyone does their 1/11. This goes back to coaching.

Excellent observations...you summed a lot of things up nicely. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yup, can't argue those points at all. Though I will say, I believe Tripp would be just as successful as a MLB, and that's to take NOTHING away from Brock. I love Coyle and right now, IMHO, he is neck and neck with Daly for Defensive POY in the Big Sky. But from what I've notcied, and I'm surprised nobody has brought this up, Tripp is playing a ton more like a bandit in a 3-4. He's rushing the passer from the edge a ton, and when he lines up in that spot, but then dumps into coverage, he seems to always be late or out of position or out of the the play all together. IDK, I'm not a DC, but it seems like they're not using him how they did as a sophomore and especially last season. And I'm not just blowing smoke, as I do agree, he also seems to miss a lot of clean tackles this season as compared to last year, so it's not all on Ty either.

kemajic said:
Elk Slayer said:
He continues to try to play three positions instead of maintaining the discipline to play his own. He is all over the place and frequently sucked out of position. He's very talented, but trying to do too much. Too many whiffs for a Buchanan candidate; I expected more of him this year.

I agree with you but without his two huge plays this year, the blocked FG against Poly and the forced fumble that led to the late TD return yesterday, this Griz team could have four losses.
Tripp made plays when the team needed it. I don't want to say that he has "single handedly" saved the Griz season but he has been as important as anyone to this point. Good players make good plays is key situations. You have to give him credit for that!

Back