• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tripp: Johnson's return is good news for Griz

UMGriz75

Article in that part of the Missoulian that is not "The Alternative News Written by Sociopaths with Political Agendas" part.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/tripp-johnson-s-return-is-good-news-for-griz/article_861eb154-eda1-11e2-912c-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is why I like sports. These attitudes, that "band of brothers" attitude that "shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Tripp:

“When you lose a member of the family like that it stings,” said the linebacker, who on Monday was named Big Sky preseason defensive MVP. “When you get somebody like that back, it’s pretty special. The whole morale and aura of the team, overnight it just changed.

“You get somebody like that back who truly, genuinely cares about everybody on the team and they’ve got that feeling back. I mean he’s our field general, our compass on offense. He’s going to lead you that way. He’s very smart. The guys really look up to him. He’s chosen as a captain. That attitude, I mean it’s so contagious.”
============================================================================================

Plain and simple, the Griz are a National Contender with Johnson this year, just as they were with Johnson 2 years ago :!:

One man Tripp stands firmly behind is Montana second-year head coach Mick Delaney.

“The energy that Coach Delaney brings to the table, with him and the assistant coaches around him, it’s been fantastic,” Tripp said. “People want to play for him. You don’t get that at every place.”

Delaney has cultivated a climate of togetherness Tripp calls “special".

IntuitiveGriz said:
One man Tripp stands firmly behind is Montana second-year head coach Mick Delaney.

“The energy that Coach Delaney brings to the table, with him and the assistant coaches around him, it’s been fantastic,” Tripp said. “People want to play for him. You don’t get that at every place.”

Delaney has cultivated a climate of togetherness Tripp calls “special".

Funny how the people in the know, and the people who would know the most (the players) respect and like coach D. However, the egriz coach critics will claim they know more than the players and that they are right.

Or a select few on here, and when Growler was here, will just claim the players lie right to the media's face on issues like that.

havgrizfan said:
Or a select few on here, and when Growler was here, will just claim the players lie right to the media's face on issues like that.
And you can have coaches who are "player's coaches" who aren't good at winning games. There are a lot of nice guys that don't know how to win. I am not saying that MD is good or bad, I only know what I saw of him last year and it was not very impressive at key moments. I hope that was a fluke and not representative of the truth. No matter what anyone thinks at this moment, MD will have the chance to wipe that stank away in nearly ideal (pending the NCAA shoe dropping) conditions.

I look forward to a great season for my team. I am glad that the spirit is back for the team. However, I hope that the embarrassment that I felt for the team, twice last season, never returns. Forth quarter collapse is unforgivable, and very unlike our reputation. Go Griz all the time. We should beat a very good team at our first game. The crowd should be worth ten points. Let's hear it like we used to do.

rnt I felt for the team

Grisly Fan said:
havgrizfan said:

And you can have coaches who are "player's coaches" who aren't good at winning games. There are a lot of nice guys that don't know how to win. I am not saying that MD is good or bad, I only know what I saw of him last year and it was not very impressive at key moments. I hope that was a fluke and not representative of the truth. No matter what anyone thinks at this moment, MD will have the chance to wipe that stank away in nearly ideal (pending the NCAA shoe dropping) conditions.

Please expound.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Grisly Fan said:
havgrizfan said:

Please expound.

I think he's referring to the inability to close the game against EWU, the 2nd half out-coaching against NAU, the SUU fake punt, the kicking on both halves against UNC, the keeping of Smithwick-Hann against MSU when McKinney was the much better option, ...

UMGriz75 said:
grizfan95 said:
... the kicking on both halves against UNC ...
I am still wondering about that one.

That one probably wasn't really the fault of the coaching staff. Most likely, what happened is that after winning the first half coin toss, rather than deferring, the Griz captain said, "We'll kick off". That meant that UNC got the choice coming out at half, and they elected to receive. Again.

Not an acceptable mistake no matter whose fault it was, though.

EverettGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizfan95 said:

That one probably wasn't really the fault of the coaching staff. Most likely, what happened is that after winning the first half coin toss, rather than deferring, the Griz captain said, "We'll kick off". That meant that UNC got the choice coming out at half, and they elected to receive. Again.

Maybe he was covering for players, but delaney said he made that call....wind/weather/sun related, i think

wbtfg said:
EverettGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizfan95 said:

Maybe he was covering for players, but delaney said he made that call....wind/weather/sun related, i think

Yep. Cover.

EverettGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
grizfan95 said:

Delaney said in articles after the game that he wanted the wind at the players' backs during the first quarter. The Griz won the toss and chose which side of the field. In the second half UNC then chose to receive.

http://missoulian.com/sports/colleg...cle_d7b9875c-1032-11e2-a261-0019bb2963f4.html

Kickoff tradeoff

The few thousand wind-chilled fans and the TV audience saw a rarity Saturday: Montana kicked the ball off to start both the first and second halves.

It was planned. Montana won the pregame coin toss and Griz coach Mick Delaney elected to kick the ball off with the wind at his team’s back. That left UNC with the option to receive the third-quarter kick, and Dominic Gunn returned it 98 yards for a touchdown.

“We wanted to have the wind,” Delaney said. “It was blowing pretty hard and I didn’t want to start the game out punting into it. It ended up not making a ton of difference because we didn’t have to punt (from deep). But we won the toss and chose to kick off, play defense and be with the wind.”

Gunn’s return narrowed Montana’s lead to 10-7 partly because a huge seam opened up on the left, and partly because the Bears got an extra possession.

“They did,” said Delaney. “But you know they might get three extra possessions if you punt it into a 40-mph wind and it goes straight up in the air. We didn’t want that at the beginning of the game.”

The wind eased as the game went on. Shaw ended up punting seven times for 40.3 yards, putting five inside the 20.

Aside from his 98-yarder, his second straight against UM to open the second half, Gunn averaged 20 yards on three kickoff returns.

No matter opinions, rants, $hit talking, blah, blah, blah, the Griz still won that game 40-17. I have faith in MD. The Griz never got blown out last season and were in every single game without a "foreman." They lacked good QB play. I have a lot of faith in our team this year. They hung in there with some Nationally Ranked teams. Granted, they didn't win any of those games but they never rolled over either. Montana will will rise again with an experienced QB at the helm.

I agree with Jordan Tripp 100% on JJ's return. His return has positively impacted GRIZ NATION for the upcoming season. So many more positive fans, and even a return of some confidence and cockiness returning to the team and fan base.

Last year at this time, the skies were gray. It seemed like there was no sun. It shined for a few weeks at the beginning of the season. After that, the gray skies lingered. Fast forward to now, Most clearly skies with a few clouds.

How much brighter will it be in GRIZ NATION this season? That is all on the coaching staff. Another crappy season, it will be time for Delaney to retire. A return to GRIZ football as we have grown to know, then maybe Delaney can put off retiring for another 3 plus years.

JJ's return is just what GRIZ NATION needed.

mtgrizrule said:
I agree with Jordan Tripp 100% on JJ's return. His return has positively impacted GRIZ NATION for the upcoming season. So many more positive fans, and even a return of some confidence and cockiness returning to the team and fan base.

Last year at this time, the skies were gray. It seemed like there was no sun. It shined for a few weeks at the beginning of the season. After that, the gray skies lingered. Fast forward to now, Most clearly skies with a few clouds.

How much brighter will it be in GRIZ NATION this season? That is all on the coaching staff. Another crappy season, it will be time for Delaney to retire. A return to GRIZ football as we have grown to know, then maybe Delaney can put off retiring for another 3 plus years.

Agreed we have all the athletic talent we need to get to the playoffs. Its just a question of coaching IMO. Coaching lost us quite a few games last year.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Darksim said:
mtgrizrule said:

Agreed we have all the athletic talent we need to get to the playoffs. Its just a question of coaching IMO. Coaching lost us quite a few games last year.

There was no leadership on the field last year; there will be this year on both sides of the ball. The coaches will have a more difficult time losing us quite a few games.

NLGrizFan said:
No matter opinions, rants, $hit talking, blah, blah, blah, the Griz still won that game 40-17. I have faith in MD. The Griz never got blown out last season and were in every single game without a "foreman." They lacked good QB play. I have a lot of faith in our team this year. They hung in there with some Nationally Ranked teams. Granted, they didn't win any of those games but they never rolled over either. Montana will will rise again with an experienced QB at the helm.
Hard to say they didn't roll over in the NAU game.

Darksim said:
mtgrizrule said:

No, not having our qb lost of quite of few games last season.

Back