• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tres Tinkle

NikeGrizz

Not sure how much this has to do with the griz but he was offered by the University of Utah earlier today

I am sure he will have plenty of top schools to choose from. I will be surprised if stays home for college, regardless if Wayne is coaching here or not.

Tinkle could be the best prospect to come out of Montana since Josh Huestis (now at Stanford), maybe better. It has been a little dry in Montana as of late as far as basketball prospects but there are quite a few younger players who are creating some buzz. Keep an eye on junior to be 6-6 Jared Samuelson (son of former Griz Great Shawn Samuelson) out of Billings West. He has a lot of his father in his game. He is a PF right now so the questions are can he take his game outside or will he grow a little more. His father was an undersized PF rebounding machine in college and I think he could be the same. Additionally HS legacy freshman to be are garnering a lot of attention. Bobby Howard's little brother, Doug Hashley's younger son and even Brad Huse's middle son. I think in a few year hopefully we will have locally grown prospect the two D-1 schools can go after. Now.... how many will stay in state is a whole other issue.

BTW at the same time Edwards should be about ready to bounce back from Gonzaga.

sorta odd that in two fairly short periods, one in the 50's, another in the 60's, montana produced some outstanding basketball talent in bunches, like bananas. 50's: zip rhoades, al dunham, russ sherriff, ray howard, danny balko, duane ruegsegger, larry pretty weasel. 60's: mike lewis, wayne estes. (nuff said right there!) yet in the succeeding, what, almost 50 years, montana produced jonathan takes enemy, larry kystkowiak, kral ferch, darren engellant, josh heustis...jeez, i know there are several more, but top-shelf, blue chip prospects? quite a drought.

women's side? different story. is it the water?

citay said:
sorta odd that in two fairly short periods, one in the 50's, another in the 60's, montana produced some outstanding basketball talent in bunches, like bananas. 50's: zip rhoades, al dunham, russ sherriff, ray howard, danny balko, duane ruegsegger, larry pretty weasel. 60's: mike lewis, wayne estes. (nuff said right there!) yet in the succeeding, what, almost 50 years, montana produced jonathan takes enemy, larry kystkowiak, kral ferch, darren engellant, josh heustis...jeez, i know there are several more, but top-shelf, blue chip prospects? quite a drought.

Derek Selvig was pretty highly sought after. If I recall, Roger Fasting was a pretty solid recruit. Wasn't Shann Ferch a solid recruit too?

I wonder what the odds are of Huse, Tinkle, and Samuelson playing together are? If that were to happen, either Brad would have to be let go at MSU, or they would all go to a big school out of state.

yup, good picks. so add three to the list. eight over almost 50 years? that's like one or two good players a decade!

Shann Ferch had offers from Washington, Washington State, Pepperdine, Wyoming and a lot of other programs, but decided he wanted to play with his brother older brother Kral at Montana State. When Kral graduated he transferred to Pepperdine. Off the top of my head for MSU Hatler, Sprinkle, Epperly, & Howard were also recruited by out of state programs.

in your estimation, mslacat, who was the better player, kral or shann? and how did shann do after he transferred to pepperdine? i'm predisposed to kral, based on that incredible dunk he threw down on st. john's.

you've named some good players there, sprinkle, epperly, howard. still, it seems to me for all the years that have passed, montana hasn't produced men's players of the caliber of montana football players, or even women basketball players. i guess the answer is, everthing is cyclical. seems we're ready for a crop of good players.

citay said:
in your estimation, mslacat, who was the better player, kral or shann? and how did shann do after he transferred to pepperdine? i'm predisposed to kral, based on that incredible dunk he threw down on st. john's.

you've named some good players there, sprinkle, epperly, howard. still, it seems to me for all the years that have passed, montana hasn't produced men's players of the caliber of montana football players, or even women basketball players. i guess the answer is, everthing is cyclical. seems we're ready for a crop of good players.
Kral like Dominique Wilkins was fun to watch, but my vote is for Shann who while a bit shorter was also an impressive leaper and a better all around player in terms of handle and shot.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You guys haven't mentioned Mark Gillman or Eli Workman, both had d-1 hoop offers but chose FBS football

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4 Beta

citay said:

Shann was by far more heavily recruited. At 6-4 (listed closer to 6-3) Kral was not the ideal height for a D-1 small forward with only a so so perimeter shot. Shann on the other hand at 6-2 and great ball skills was a very desirable point guard prospect. Kral though did not understand he was only 6-3 (granted with a 48" vertical) and that he should shy away from the big buys underneath. He shyed away from no one and made a carreer of dunking over 6-9 player. Kral is my favorite Bobcat of all time (Tom Damako a VERY close second) becuase he had a heart and compeditive spriit I've not seen very often in the last 10 years of Montana high school basketball (although some of the native american players came close). The ultimate underdog who always took advantage of folks who under estimated him. Kral also had a little Dave Dickerson (to use a comparison Griz people can understand) in that he refused to lose and did not consider losing was an option until the game horn went off. Shann had a lot of his brother (actually one should say his father) in him, but was more flashy and enjoyed the spot light more than Kral, especially off the court, but was did not have that deep competitive spirit of Kral. Don't get me wrong Shann was very competitive, but it's hard to live up to the example of his big brother.

Overall
Shann was had by far the better shooter, and better ball skills. Most importantly Shann had great size for his natural college position, point guard.
Kral was the better athlete (one of the best athletes ever from Montana) and had all the un-measurable intangibles except size for his natural position small forward.

Given today's D-1 coaches 9 out of 10 would choose Shann. If I was a coach of a Big Sky program with-out a though I would grab Kral first, although I would be happy with Shan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_sLW9HIAFI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AllWeatherFan said:
Wasn't Damako from a small town in Minnesota, Mcat?
Domako was from Michigan
Craig Kilborn , the original Daily Show host and of ESPN fame, is the guy from Minnesota who played for the Bobcats. Both were outstanding shooters out to 24 feet. Domako though could create his own shot Kilborn needed a screen or help.

Thanks. I think there was a MSU player more recent than Domako or Kilborn who was from Glyndon, MN or somewhere in that neck of the woods, but I can't recall his name.

I watched Domako many times. One of the best pure shooters ever. Right up there with Gary Kane. :)

BTW Last I checked Domako was living here in Missoula. I have been watching the papers every November to see if any of his kids show up on high school rosters.

citay said:

I would throw in Craig Finberg

Watched Tres play in Bellevue at AAU tourney last week. He had Mark Few watching one night and looked to be one of the best at his age group at the event. His team lost in the second round of "premier" tourney for 16 and under. Tres can do about everything. Takes it to the hole, shoots the 3, rebounds well on both ends and plays decent defense. Has a nack for creating fouls when he is at rim and must frustrate opponents because there's not much contact but enough they have to call it. He has his "euro" step that always has people saying he travels and at times does seem like he can get his feet a little "caught up" when driving.

The kid has a good head about him. Knows he's good and carries a confident swagger but not to the extent of appearing cocky. Does more than just score and seems well-liked by all teammates. He will play big time college ball and lots of teams would love to have him.

Mousegriz said:
Watched Tres play in Bellevue at AAU tourney last week. He had Mark Few watching one night and looked to be one of the best at his age group at the event. His team lost in the second round of "premier" tourney for 16 and under. Tres can do about everything. Takes it to the hole, shoots the 3, rebounds well on both ends and plays decent defense. Has a nack for creating fouls when he is at rim and must frustrate opponents because there's not much contact but enough they have to call it. He has his "euro" step that always has people saying he travels and at times does seem like he can get his feet a little "caught up" when driving.

The kid has a good head about him. Knows he's good and carries a confident swagger but not to the extent of appearing cocky. Does more than just score and seems well-liked by all teammates. He will play big time college ball and lots of teams would love to have him.
Thanks for the scoop.
It will be fun to watch the offers roll in for Tres. I have been wondering if Gonzaga would ever get in the mix. If Few does throw his hat in the ring they might have a really good chance of landing him. Elle would still be there and I think they have alot of family in Spokane too.
This is just wishful thinking but...if Tres and Elle are close to home, maybe, just maybe we can keep Wayne around for longer!

temp said:
Mousegriz said:

Thanks for the scoop.
It will be fun to watch the offers roll in for Tres. I have been wondering if Gonzaga would ever get in the mix. If Few does throw his hat in the ring they might have a really good chance of landing him. Elle would still be there and I think they have alot of family in Spokane too.
This is just wishful thinking but...if Tres and Elle are close to home, maybe, just maybe we can keep Wayne around for longer!

What are the odds? Wayne coaching at WAZZU or Gonazaga. That is if Few is finally ready to move on to another challenge, and Bone is let go WAZZU. I doubt if Wayne would say "No" to either of those schools. I could see Tres playing for his father at either school. Then again, we don't know what Tres wants to pursue academically.

Back