• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

tournament lessons for our griz

citygriz

Well-known member
1. in the big sky, it's enough to get by on our superior athleticism, but in the tournament we have to scratch, claw, fight, hustle, scrape every second of every game. you beat a zone or full-court pressure by getting down court before they have a chance to set up, not walking the ball up and passing around and around. and speaking of full-court pressure, let's add it to our aresenal--not as a desperation ploy, but as part of every game plan.

2. muscle up! the unsung hero for louisville last night was that behanan kid who goes 250. with mcgary in foul trouble, michigan had no answer for behanan on the boards. we need a kid like that, a tight end, a piano mover, a kid who lifts volkswagons, not jumps over them. remember, we've got three more years of facing joel bolomoby.
 
3. Lose the Big Sky Conference championship game so we can go to a tournament where we can be a little more competitive.
 
cclarkblues said:
3. Lose the Big Sky Conference championship game so we can go to a tournament where we can be a little more competitive.


4. and make no money and get zero exposure.
 
I'm not sure all exposure is good. In your opinion was the exposure Weber got in the CIT good for them?
 
cclarkblues said:
I'm not sure all exposure is good. In your opinion was the exposure Weber got in the CIT good for them?


Was there exposure? Look, I'm happy for Weber. But I bet you could ask 100 sports fans and 99 of them couldn't tell you who won the CIT, 98 couldn't tell you Weber was in it, and 77 couldn't tell you what CIT stands for.

Yes, the Griz got hammered in the NCAA tournament. But 100 million people saw "Montana" on the 4/13 line as they completed their bracket. I promise you that's more exposure -- more good exposure -- than Weber got by playing in a 4th tier tournament.
 
EverettGriz said:
cclarkblues said:
I'm not sure all exposure is good. In your opinion was the exposure Weber got in the CIT good for them?


Was there exposure? Look, I'm happy for Weber. But I bet you could ask 100 sports fans and 99 of them couldn't tell you who won the CIT, 98 couldn't tell you Weber was in it, and 77 couldn't tell you what CIT stands for.

Yes, the Griz got hammered in the NCAA tournament. But 100 million people saw "Montana" on the 4/13 line as they completed their bracket. I promise you that's more exposure -- more good exposure -- than Weber got by playing in a 4th tier tournament.

yup.
 
EverettGriz said:
cclarkblues said:
I'm not sure all exposure is good. In your opinion was the exposure Weber got in the CIT good for them?


Was there exposure? Look, I'm happy for Weber. But I bet you could ask 100 sports fans and 99 of them couldn't tell you who won the CIT, 98 couldn't tell you Weber was in it, and 77 couldn't tell you what CIT stands for.

Yes, the Griz got hammered in the NCAA tournament. But 100 million people saw "Montana" on the 4/13 line as they completed their bracket. I promise you that's more exposure -- more good exposure -- than Weber got by playing in a 4th tier tournament.

I agree about the exposure, however, the Weber kids have to be flying high. Playing for a "championship" and beating solid teams like Northern Iowa and Oral Roberts is a feather in the cap. Definitely will give them a boost come next year. They are solid
 
5. Don't draw final four teams in the first round. Bad match up for us.

6. Play a tougher OOC schedule to prepare for more athletic teams...

Now that that dead horse is beaten, I'd add to Everett's good points and say thay we'd take the 16 seed in a play in game over the "who gives a f***" tournaments anyday. The butt woopins are tough, but making the NCAA tourney year after year is positive exposure and is what NCAA baskeball players strive for.
 
HighLineGRIZ said:
5. Don't draw final four teams in the first round. Bad match up for us.

6. Play a tougher OOC schedule to prepare for more athletic teams...

Now that that dead horse is beaten, I'd add to Everett's good points and say thay we'd take the 16 seed in a play in game over the "who gives a f***" tournaments anyday. The butt woopins are tough, but making the NCAA tourney year after year is positive exposure and is what NCAA baskeball players strive for.

Almost every player on this current team said one of the main reasons the chose Montana was because of the chances to play in the NCAA tournament most every year. Now they have to change that mindset from playing in the NCAA tournament to winning games in the NCAA tournament. :thumb:
 
...the king iz naked...
...and tinkle's got to do...
...a better job at tourney time...

... :cool: ...
 
Ask the Weber State players who have been on the short end of the stick 3 years in a row by the Griz where they would rather be playing. They can spin the CIT all they want, but the tears on the Weber players faces said it all
 
Back
Top