• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz Tinkle to Pepperdine

Wooley is a good coach, but I doubt the Lady Griz will have three male coaches.
It's very rare for sure tonhave 3 males let alone 3 the same age. It's been hard to keep female asst in Missoula if you look at past season.

Salary still has to be an issue in Missoula and Bozeman considering housing and rental markets.

We still think Wooley is a logical choice considering his credentials. Being male is def a strike against him. We haven't heard any rumors on who is actually in the mix either.

It's very rare for sure tonhave 3 males let alone 3 the same age. It's been hard to keep female asst in Missoula if you look at past season.

Salary still has to be an issue in Missoula and Bozeman considering housing and rental markets.

We still think Wooley is a logical choice considering his credentials. Being male is def a strike against him. We haven't heard any rumors on who is actually in the mix either.
Past Seasons...not just past season

Perhaps the kids liked Jocelyn far better than the head guy....
Being an assistant is lot different than head. As a head you have to make unpopular decisions and as an assistant it's your job to support the difficult decsion and to message the players feelings. At least good assistants will do this.

We have no idea as to Tinkles reasons to leave other than to improve her resume and increase her worth as a valuable coach to a program.

Just find it interesting the coaches who have left are all female and have only stayed for a yr a piece....going back to Sullivan.

Would have thought Harris may have tried to get a HC or a higher level Assistant position. Maybe he has, but have never heard his name for jobs we are in tune with.

Although it really shouldn't matter what the gender of a coach is, it's a more sensitive topic in women's athletics. Most programs play it safe and hire a woman to coach their women's teams. Then, if they have a male assistant, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal. I would think it would be harder to recruit to a women's program with no women as coaches. What is it saying about the administration's view of women in general, when they don't trust women to coach their women. Something to think about.

Although it really shouldn't matter what the gender of a coach is, it's a more sensitive topic in women's athletics. Most programs play it safe and hire a woman to coach their women's teams. Then, if they have a male assistant, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal. I would think it would be harder to recruit to a women's program with no women as coaches. What is it saying about the administration's view of women in general, when they don't trust women to coach their women. Something to think about.
Trust me, we're having this exact conversation hiring a Softball coach right now

Trust me, we're having this exact conversation hiring a Softball coach right now
Absolutely we are. Regardless of what Schweyen's lawsuits outcome was or the reasoning behind it, there needed to be a consideration for how they go about hiring coaches for women's sports. It is very real that there could be 20 applicants for the softball team and 19 of them could be men. You have to hire the best coach for the position whether it be assistant or head coach but if you aren't getting women coaches, you might have to consider a) the process or b) how good of a job are you doing to recruit those type high quality candidates who just happen to be female.

Absolutely we are. Regardless of what Schweyen's lawsuits outcome was or the reasoning behind it, there needed to be a consideration for how they go about hiring coaches for women's sports. It is very real that there could be 20 applicants for the softball team and 19 of them could be men. You have to hire the best coach for the position whether it be assistant or head coach but if you aren't getting women coaches, you might have to consider a) the process or b) how good of a job are you doing to recruit those type high quality candidates who just happen to be female.
We agree that it shouldn't matter, but staffs should be put together with the right mix of quality diverse people. Unless your recruiting base in not from diverse areas.

We still believe that Wooley will be hired.

This is a really smart hire by Holsinger because he is well regarded especially in high school coaching circles. This is going to help recruiting because it is going to allow them to have a much better filter about what types of players can help the LG out. Something they've struggled with the past few years and consequently they've missed out on a ton of players they probably shouldn't have in Montana. Wooley has a rep of being a very good evaluator in addition to his coaching skills.

This is a really smart hire by Holsinger because he is well regarded especially in high school coaching circles. This is going to help recruiting because it is going to allow them to have a much better filter about what types of players can help the LG out. Something they've struggled with the past few years and consequently they've missed out on a ton of players they probably shouldn't have in Montana. Wooley has a rep of being a very good evaluator in addition to his coaching skills.
We also heard an asst from one of the San Diego schools has also been brought onto staff.

Wooley is a good coach, but I doubt the Lady Griz will have three male coaches.
Sadly for Montana athletics we could start a whole “Tinkle to” thread;
Joslyn Tinkle to Stanford
Elle Tinkle to Gonzaga
Wayne Tinkle to Oregon State;
Tres Tinkle to Oregon State;
Joslyn Tinkle to Pepperdine.
Well, I guess this is the last of the goodbyes.

Sadly for Montana athletics we could start a whole “Tinkle to” thread;
Joslyn Tinkle to Stanford
Elle Tinkle to Gonzaga
Wayne Tinkle to Oregon State;
Tres Tinkle to Oregon State;
Joslyn Tinkle to Pepperdine.
Well, I guess this is the last of the goodbyes.
You forgot a Tinkle: Lisa

Latest posts

Back