• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Time to talk BSC Tourney

Jaredkuehn

I'm looking at the conference website trying to figure out the new 7 team format. The website doesn't have all the details, but I'm assuming the bracket will look like this. The number one seed is more important than its been in years under the new format. The host is the only team to get a first round bye. Tonights win at SUU was HUGE for the Grizzlies. Win out and bring it home boys! It'll be interesting to watch the 4-7 seed battle play out.

Corrected 3/5

Thursday Quarter Finals:
No. 7 seed vs. No. 2 seed
No. 6 seed vs. No. 3 seed
No. 5 seed vs. No. 4 seed
No. 1 seed bye

Friday Semi Finals:
No. 1 seed vs. Lowest remaining seed
2nd highest remaining seed vs. 2nd lowest reaming seed

Saturday Finals:
Winner of semi 1 vs winner of semi 2

Interesting that the #1 seed does not automatically get the highest remaining seed. They could end up playing the #4 seed while, hypothetically, #2 could play the #6 seed.

putter said:
Interesting that the #1 seed does not automatically get the highest remaining seed. They could end up playing the #4 seed while, hypothetically, #2 could play the #6 seed.

Yes, but I think the coaches will tell you they prefer that. At least then you know that you're definitely be playing one of two teams and can prepare for them. Under the system where teams are reseeded every round, that's not always the case.

Here's my best guess:

1. Montana: Obviously controls its own destiny and clinches with two wins at home; can still clinch with one but the road gets a little murky. Oddly, a Montana State sweep this weekend clinches the league for Montana assuming UM wins at least one. Go cats!!

2. Weber: Unless Montana falters, Weber is locked in at the second seed.

3. NoDak: They are the 3 seed no matter what happens this weekend.

4. UNC: I think they beat SUU at home and get to 10-10

5. I think MSU sweeps this weekend's games and ends up at 10-10 also. However, they lose the tie-break to UNC based on splitting with UNC, but getting swept by UND (UNC split with UND).

6 -7: Sac, SUU, NAU: I believe all 3 get swept this weekend and fall to 8-12. I'm too lazy to figure the tie-breaks for those spots.

Note, Eastern can also get to 8-12, but would need to sweep this weekend's game, including one at Weber, so.....

EverettGriz said:
Here's my best guess:

1. Montana: Obviously controls its own destiny and clinches with two wins at home; can still clinch with one but the road gets a little murky. Oddly, a Montana State sweep this weekend clinches the league for Montana assuming UM wins at least one. Go cats!!

2. Weber: Unless Montana falters, Weber is locked in at the second seed.

3. NoDak: They are the 3 seed no matter what happens this weekend.

4. UNC: I think they beat SUU at home and get to 10-10

5. I think MSU sweeps this weekend's games and ends up at 10-10 also. However, they lose the tie-break to UNC based on splitting with UNC, but getting swept by UND (UNC split with UND).

6 -7: Sac, SUU, NAU: I believe all 3 get swept this weekend and fall to 8-12. I'm too lazy to figure the tie-breaks for those spots.

Note, Eastern can also get to 8-12, but would need to sweep this weekend's game, including one at Weber, so.....

Thanks for posting this. I think one thing though. Wouldn't MSU have the tie breaker over UNC because they beat Weber, who is higher than UND?

DOH!!!

Man, thanks for being around to correct me this week, SGL. Yes, you're absolutely correct. MSU would hold the tie-break over UNC. Switch those two! :thumb:

Great catch.

EverettGriz said:
DOH!!!

Man, thanks for being around to correct me this week, SGL. Yes, you're absolutely correct. MSU would hold the tie-break over UNC. Switch those two! :thumb:

Great catch.

And I'm trying to have a better attitude and not be a bitch too. :D

Jaredkuehn said:
I'm looking at the conference website trying to figure out the new 7 team format. The website doesn't have all the details, but I'm assuming the bracket will look like this. The number one seed is more important than its been in years under the new format. The host is the only team to get a first round bye. Tonights win at SUU was HUGE for the Grizzlies. Win out and bring it home boys! It'll be interesting to watch the 4-7 seed battle play out.

Thursday Quarter Finals:
No. 1 seed bye

Friday Semi Finals:
No. 1 seed vs. Winner of 5/4 matchup
Winner 7/2 vs. Winner 6/3

Saturday Finals:
Remaining two teams

Huh. Now according to the Big Sky Notes this week, they DO reseed every round:

http://www.bigskyconf.com/documents/2013/3/4/3-4-13Notes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EverettGriz said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Thursday Quarter Finals:
No. 1 seed bye

Friday Semi Finals:

Saturday Finals:
Remaining two teams

http://www.bigskyconf.com/documents/2013/3/4/3-4-13Notes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dammit how did I miss out on correcting you on that! :lol:

EverettGriz said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Thursday Quarter Finals:
No. 1 seed bye

Friday Semi Finals:

Saturday Finals:
Remaining two teams

Everettgriz, your right. Good catch. That was the "detail" I couldn't find on the BSC website last night. I'm not sure if that's good or bad for the 1 seed

weberwildcat said:
title game will be on espnu but what about semis? they used to be on altitude unless there was a change.

Still confuses me why ROOT would not want to be able to broadcast any Big Sky basketball.... :roll:

putter said:
weberwildcat said:
title game will be on espnu but what about semis? they used to be on altitude unless there was a change.

Still confuses me why ROOT would not want to be able to broadcast any Big Sky basketball.... :roll:

Too expensive with no pay back to them.

Here is my philosophy on why Root is televising Big Sky football:

The Seattle Mariner broadcast rights go up for bid next year. Root, who currently carries them, would love to continue doing so under the new contract. But the going rates for new baseball contracts have increased sharply since the last contract, making affording it difficult.

So, why does carrying Big Sky football matter? Because Root desperately needs cable companies to continue to carry the station for increased households and revenue. The move to cover BSC football is a move to ensure that carriers like Bresnan and Eagle in Montana and Cox and Charter in Idaho continue to carry Root. Exposure to households in those states are vital to securing the M's deal.

I'm worried about what happens after that deal is made, particularly if Root doesn't secure the contract. My hunch is that it is bye bye BSC football.

EverettGriz said:
putter said:
weberwildcat said:

The Seattle Mariner broadcast rights go up for bid next year. Root, who currently carries them, would love to continue doing so under the new contract. But the going rates for new baseball contracts have increased sharply since the last contract, making affording it difficult.

So, why does carrying Big Sky football matter? Because Root desperately needs cable companies to continue to carry the station for increased households and revenue. The move to cover BSC football is a move to ensure that carriers like Bresnan and Eagle in Montana and Cox and Charter in Idaho continue to carry Root. Exposure to households in those states are vital to securing the M's deal.

I'm worried about what happens after that deal is made, particularly if Root doesn't secure the contract. My hunch is that it is bye bye BSC football.

Interesting and just possibly a very plausible explanation.

griz71 said:
EverettGriz said:
putter said:
weberwildcat said:

Interesting and just possibly a very plausible explanation.

Didn't some of it have to do with the Pac-12 Football TV contract that cut them out of UW and WSU games? We used to get those games on FSN (Northwest) before it was rebranded Root. I would imagine that they shopped around and the BSC was cheap, available and regional. I believe I read the Oregon folks were always pissed because the coverage was Washington-centric. Then Comcast SportsNet Northwest came in and started covering mostly Oregon sports. I know they covered a few of PSU football games last year.

weberwildcat said:

My guess is it will be on Big Sky TV. If I remember, that's how it was last year...

Back