• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Time to get over it.

ronbo

Well I'm pretty shocked at the stories I'm hearing about the Cat Fans.

Get over it, we have a game with W. Illinois.

I for one just think the Cat game is just another game.

In the future, because of their behavior.

1) Ignore Cat fans on this board. Do not respond to them. Act like they don't exist. This will be the ultimate insult to them.

2) Do not attend any games in Bozoland. Boycott games there. Not a cent to their economy. We have it on TV and a handful of fans in the stands makes no difference in the outcome of the game.

3) When they play here do not yell at them, do not talk to them, treat them like they do not exist.

4) We should NOT consider keeping the rivalry alive when moving to 1A. We go alone to a new conference and leave MSU behind. It has become a hateful, destructive rivalry and should be discontinued.

Ronbo, I agree on points 1 and 2.

However, on points 3 & 4...
I say we give em complete Hell the next time they step foot inside our stadium. And we KEEP this rivalry alive... its a good rivalry, regardless of how their fans act. And last I've heard, we ain't going anywhere conference wise.

But I like points 1 and 2..

Oh that's right there are a few of you that want to stay in 1AA when they reduce schollies to 40 and do away with the playoffs and it just becomes Div. II football all over again.

Well my friends they are putting up Div. 1A facilities for a reason and you'll have no say or control over what the future holds.

Hold on now guys. Don't think your fans are a bunch of angels. I was at Cat/Griz in 1998 when we played you for the title in Missoula that year. I had seats on the 50 yard line on the east side about 3 rows down from the top. There were four of us there and we were called just about every name in the book. One guy even had the nerve to come up at half-time and grab me yelling at me about how the refs were on MSU's side and giving MSU the game. We choose to ignor them and just enjoy what turned out to be a very good game. If I remember right it was Dallas Neil that scored the late go ahead touchdown in the mud.

I am not sticking up for the dumb fans some of you encounterd in Bozeman, but do not think for one moment that all Griz fans treat everyone with respect. I'll agree that MSU had better get more security at the game next time. That was just plain dumb on their part.

Good luck in the againts WIU

Correct me if I'm wrong on this move to 1A but it will never happen due to the following reasons:

1. Due to fact we are state school and connected with MSU if we move they have to??? I was told this by someone awhile back

2. To compete at the 1A level we would need to add like 9 additional athletic programs??/ Again not sure on exact number but thought it was in this area.

I dont see this ever happening and IMO we are right where we should be. Who wants to watch the griz play the Vandals in the whocares.com bowl in December?? Not me.

As for number two on the list, there is no way I am going to not support the Griz when they are playing in a hostile environment on the road. That is when they need us fans the most.

Anyways about that...does anybody have any information about how the Cats Ticket office jacked the prices on Griz fans. My ticket was in Griz section in the end zone and said $31.00 on it. Were the ticket values any different for any other part of the stadium, or was it just for the Griz section in the end zone? If so, I say the Griz ticket office should charge $40.00 for Bobcats to sit in the worst seats in Wa-Griz next year...as if there are any seats in Wa-Griz that approach the crappiness of anything in Bobcat stadium...that piece of crap needs to be condemned.

Why do some compare us to Idaho instead of Boise?????

Because it fits your pathetic argument?

We are comparable to Boise State in facilities and success not Idaho.

Boise is on the MAP bigtime. They played several primetime ESPN national games this year. They are 10-1 and they will play on National TV in front of 50,000 fans in a bowl in Primtime with a several million TV audience watching.

We never get an ESPN game unless we get to the NC game, then we play on Friday afternoon to a TV audience of 1 million in front of a stadium of 12,000 pathetic fans. We are in the SMALLTIME. MINOR LEAGUE.

And you want to stay there? Now that's a total lack of COMPETITIVENESS. I guess we no longer strive to get better. We have to settle for where we're at and never strive to go higher???????

It all boils down to spoiledness. If you are so spoiled that you can't stand it unless we win every game, then hey, let's move to NAIA and we'll win the NC every year.

Ronbo,

You need a crash course in interpersonal communication...

If someone disagrees with you, you go off the handle. Don't post something if you dont' want to see someone elses opinion of your topic. We all have our reasons for wanting to stay here or move up...

Which ever happens, we (the fans) really have no control over it. They aren't going to post some voting poll somewhere and ask us our opinion.

You don't seem satisfied unless everyone see's things your way. Maybe someone here see your view as pathetic as well. You asked the question, people are answering the way they see it. I think you have to respect that.

Just giving my views and pointing out the flaws in the other side of the argument. Why can't I point out my views. You see you try to do exactly that to me. You are doing the same thing. If I say something people don't like they jump all over me. Some of you don't allow a different opinion when it comes to the 1AA vs. 1A argument.

1AA is going down. The A10 will see to that. And we will move on.

When will it happen. 5 years? Maybe. Within 10? I'll wager.

But it's NOT IF. It's WHEN. Everyone in 1AA is going broke except a handfull in it's present form.

1AA is going down. It's going DOWN. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Comparing UM to Boise State is NO different than comparing UM to Idaho. Neither Boise State nor Idaho will EVER have a chance at winning a national championship ... and UM will!!! I do not want to play where that opportunity is eliminated.

I had the pleasure of sitting in the front row of Griz Country at the game Saturday and I will tell you the seats you gave us in the North endzone of Washinton Grizzly last year were just as good as you had this year. When we get someone like Washington to put up a stadium for us maybe your seats will get better. Until we have and Edwards or Washington open up the checkbook.......take a seat and watch the ass kicking .....

GO CATS

"Ass Kicking" You must be watching the last two years in blue covered glasses. Ass kicking is what N Iowa is going to lay on you this sat. Pay attention to the game so you remember the difference. Go N Iowa.

Griz tickets were 31.00 for all sections in the stadium (even standing room only). They probably bumped up the prices just to compensate for all the whining the Griz fans were gonna do in the stadium. If you don't like the lines going into the stadium, don't wait until the last minute like everyone else .. DUH!

ronbo said:
In the future, because of their behavior.

1) Ignore Cat fans on this board. Do not respond to them. Act like they don't exist. This will be the ultimate insult to them.

Of the four that is probably the wisest advice you have, Ronbo. But man is it hard when some are posting idiotic dribble and they are just begging to be put in their place.

I guess one should at least make them respond in the proper thread. For example this thread is about how Griz should respond to the Cats. If a Cat fan can't read correctly there really wouldn't be any point in responding...I guess it would just be misread.

2. To compete at the 1A level we would need to add like 9 additional athletic programs??/ Again not sure on exact number but thought it was in this area.

We would have to add two women's sports to stay in Title 9 compliance. That would add 22 scholarships to women's sports. The only real facility that we are lacking is an indoor practice field, which from what I understand, is in the works. By that I mean it has been talked about in meetings with the booster and other figures that support the program.

I think the talk to reduce scholarships is more than just passing talk. The schools in the east are looking closely at this. I for one do not support a reduction in scholarships and think that if 1-AA moves to reduce scholarships then by all means we should look to make a move.

One more thing to keep in mind when talking about the health of 1-AA football is that the playoffs lost about 1/2 million last year. If the playoffs cannot continue to be solvent then something will be done to make them at least break even or at least not lose money. I think that if U of M does not look at every possible aspect of this, in 5 years we maybe sitting here going why did we not make the move when we had the chance.

Someday, UM will be moving somewhere, but whether it will be up is debatable. Debatable in that the current 1A will split in two, such as Super A, and 1A. Montana would move into 1A. Whether the modified 1A will be higher than the current 1AA is an unknown, as 1AA then may dissappear.

But at the present time, Montana will not go anywhere for quite sometime.

WHY? IT IS MONEY. Hogan said within one month from now, that Montana would need at least $5,000,000 more bucks to be able to move up to 1A. That money is not there, period. So, ronbo, do you have $5,000,000 to donate EACH year. If not, cool it with the 1A talk.

Plus, there wasn't any mention that that was the amount needed to compete well enough to be able to win the MWC or WAC, or any conference that would take the Griz, or whether it was just to stay afloat and be at 1A level.

Here's my two cents. I-AA football has been, and still is, great. As of a year or two ago, despite of (or perhaps because of) the realignment going on in I-A, I-AA looked secure. Now, things appear to be changing, and I-AA has declined some and has a less certain future. Yes, the playoffs lost a half million dollars last year, and that's not good. The financial pressure on the playoffs is the prime reason that only 4 teams are seeded, the regional system has developed, the pairings include teams that can be bussed and teams within regions (less charter costs), and more home games given to teams like the Griz that can make a huge net contribution to the playoffs financially. I thought I heard that home games for the Griz contribute something like $150,000 or more of net gain to the playoffs. While I believe good I-AA programs like the Griz should start thinking about the future, and possibly moving to I-A, I don't believe anyone can accurately predict what will happen with I-AA. Yes, the A-10 presidents are considering lowering the number of scholarships. My guess is that they will either not push for lower scholarhships in I-AA (mainly because it will force many of the strong programs to move to I-A) or they will do so unilaterally in their conference.

Yes, the Griz would have to add several sports (altho I believe it is more like 3, not 9), and they would all be women's sports, I believe. I believe there is both of minimum number of sports for I-A (and the Griz are below the minimum), as well as title IX issues created primarily by adding more men's scholarships in football.

Yes, the cost for the Griz to go to I-A would be about $5 million, and that's an annual cost related to increased sports, increased scholarships, increased operating costs, increased numbers of coaches, increased coaching salaries, and I assume some related to facility costs. Boise St. has been successful because of its facilities and it's ability to raise money, primarily thru corporate and other donations. Idaho has not been able to raise the money. I don't believe the Griz could come close to raising the necessary money, nor do I believe it would be politically feasible in Montana, at least now, to move to I-A. I also believe that, despite the "better" competition in football, attendance would drop (because I believe the Griz attendance is so good because of the huge number of wins and the playoffs, which are fun, but also cause every game to be important all season).

By the way, while the Griz football stadium and basketball arena are nice, I don't think the Griz facilities are close to being up to par for I-A, plus the lack of an indoor arena has already been mentioned. I also don't see the Griz as being able to recruit as effectively, as they now can in I-AA. The Griz have something special to offer in I-AA, but they would have less to offer in I-A. What would distinquish Griz football in I-A?

In any event, it will be interesting to see where I-AA, as well as I-A, go. Good conferences are interested in the Griz, but I don't see I-A as being realistic, nor do I see it as desireable as long as I-AA and the playoffs exist in a reasonably healthy fashion.

TrueGriz said:
Someday, UM will be moving somewhere, but whether it will be up is debatable. Debatable in that the current 1A will split in two, such as Super A, and 1A. Montana would move into 1A. Whether the modified 1A will be higher than the current 1AA is an unknown, as 1AA then may dissappear.

But at the present time, Montana will not go anywhere for quite sometime.

WHY? IT IS MONEY. Hogan said within one month from now, that Montana would need at least $5,000,000 more bucks to be able to move up to 1A. That money is not there, period. So, ronbo, do you have $5,000,000 to donate EACH year. If not, cool it with the 1A talk.

Plus, there wasn't any mention that that was the amount needed to compete well enough to be able to win the MWC or WAC, or any conference that would take the Griz, or whether it was just to stay afloat and be at 1A level.

Good points TG.

I'm still waiting for people who think 1-aa isn't good enough for the Griz to tell us how to meet title IX requirements and where that $$$ will come from. I've NEVER gotten an answer from anyone who thinks that only 1-a will do.
Also, as of this time we aren't held to 40 scholarships and i really doubt that will happen before div I re-aligns and that will take a while.

Latest posts

Back