• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tightest sideline in DI?

Skjellyfetti

App State fan here. Looking forward to the game on Saturday and wish I could make the trip out there.

I saw a graphic someone made recently ranking the stadiums in FBS by the distance from the playing field to the stands at the 50 yard line. This has been the biggest complaint about our stadium -- and, for a host of reasons, probably won't be remedied any time soon. However, this is something your (cold and loud) stadium is famous for (and I really regret not being able to see it in person).

9624670234_3ff37e38aa_h.jpg

Montana would be either at the top -- or very close to the top of this list (I can't get a significant difference between Washington Griz and T Boone Pickens at the 50's). Unfortunately, we would be close to the bottom.

However, the big difference between Washington Grizzly Stadium and T. Boone Pickens Stadium is the (in)famous "North Endzone" at Montana -- it is almost a full yard closer (~4.5 yards) to the field than the closest endzone seats at T. Boone Pickens Stadium -- AND it maintains that distance across the entire endzone, whereas T Boone Pickens' endzone seats bow (and the other endzone is NOT enclosed at T Boone Pickens).

I know y'all are proud of your stadium (as you should be) -- just thought y'all would like some evidence that your stadium is probably the toughest venue, architecturally, in all of Division I. :thumb:

Can't wait for the game on Saturday, and I hope it is another instant classic!

Inside the 5 at the north end of the field has to be one of the toughest places to start a drive anywhere...they don't call them the whackos for nothing. :twisted:

App State needs to build DOWN. Dig out the track and field, drop the field, and bring out new seats to bring the stands closer to the field.

AZGrizFan said:
App State needs to build DOWN. Dig out the track and field, drop the field, and bring out new seats to bring the stands closer to the field.

that would be perfect.

AZGrizFan said:

See University of Washington's remodel....

grizpack said:
AZGrizFan said:

I thought I had heard somewhere that App State looked into lowering the field to bring the stands closer, but couldn't due to the watershed that sits beneath the field. :?:

I think one of the reasons its so loud (obviously its close) but as mentioned above, its dug into the ground so that helps keep the noise down. Whoever designed it do a great job from a noise perspective.

get'em_griz said:
grizpack said:
AZGrizFan said:

I thought I had heard somewhere that App State looked into lowering the field to bring the stands closer, but couldn't due to the watershed that sits beneath the field. :?:

Have they never heard of sump pumps in Boone?

Actually, once you learn to run in a foot of water you'd have a heck of an advantage over any opposition! :cool:

From what I understand the bedrock and intermittent stream running under the stadium would be too expensive to drop the field, unfortunately.

There are plans to remove the track, but the seats will still be the same distance from the field.

Also, appears the image was taken down where I linked it.

1052792.png

Htowngriz said:
Inside the 5 at the north end of the field has to be one of the toughest places to start a drive anywhere...they don't call them the whackos for nothing. :twisted:
hey, I resemble that remark, I think :lol:

Latest posts

Back