• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Thurman Holdsclaw

George Ferguson

Havre High's Thurman Holdsclaw has been granted a preferred walk-on to the University of Montana in the fall. At 6-2, 210, Holdsclaw has played everything from QB, WR, TE, RB, Safety, LB and DE in his just two years of football at Havre High. He only played for the Ponies for two seasons, while playing golf his first two years of high school. I don't have any video for you guys, but will let you know he has some raw speed and power. IF, he is willing to work as ass off this fall, he may turn out to be a diamond in the rough. Some of you may know, Thurman's dad is the late Thurman Holdsclaw Sr., one of the all-time greats to play basketball for then Northern Montana College. Thurman was killed in auto accident while returning to Havre from I believe the Wayne Estes Tournament 17 years ago.

havgrizfan said:
Havre High's Thurman Holdsclaw has been granted a preferred walk-on to the University of Montana in the fall. At 6-2, 210, Holdsclaw has played everything from QB, WR, TE, RB, Safety, LB and DE in his just two years of football at Havre High. He only played for the Ponies for two seasons, while playing golf his first two years of high school. I don't have any video for you guys, but will let you know he has some raw speed and power. IF, he is willing to work as ass off this fall, he may turn out to be a diamond in the rough. Some of you may know, Thurman's dad is the late Thurman Holdsclaw Sr., one of the all-time greats to play basketball for then Northern Montana College. Thurman was killed in auto accident while returning to Havre from I believe the Wayne Estes Tournament 17 years ago.

I was at Carroll when Thurman Sr.was there. I got along with him great and considered him a friend. I still remember being at the Estes and learning of the wreck that took his life.

Congrats to Thurman....Good kid from a good family.

I also believe he has a cousin who played a bit of bball as well.

The next Mariani??

Okay, that's totally unfair to the kid, but sounds like he has the potential to develop into a player if he puts in the work.

havgrizfan said:

I do not know Thurman and have not followed him in High School. Sounds like he has picked up some of Thurman Sr. talent. I played in a tournament with Thurman Sr. a year or so before he was killed. In one game only four of us were able to be at the game and we played the enire game four against five and wone the game by twenty points. I was a little above average as a basketball player and could shoot the three well. Thurman made me a star in that game as everytime I made a move and was open the ball was in my hands with him yelling for me to shoot. I hit for 50 points (I was not that good on my own) and Thurman hit for 50 points. My hope is that the intensity and the ability to make others better that Thurman Sr. had are passed on to Thurman Jr.

grizpack said:
wbtfg said:

Who is the cousin??

Chamique Holdsclaw (I'm sure I spelled her name wrong). Played BB at tennessee.

SouthDakotaGrizzly said:
The next Mariani??

Okay, that's totally unfair to the kid, but sounds like he has the potential to develop into a player if he puts in the work.

Watched him play Whitefish first game last Fall.......man among boys!

snap said:
grizpack said:
wbtfg said:

Who is the cousin??

Chamique Holdsclaw (I'm sure I spelled her name wrong). Played BB at tennessee.

yep.... one of the best to ever come out of Pat Summit's program....

putter said:
havgrizfan said:

I was at Carroll when Thurman Sr.was there. I got along with him great and considered him a friend. I still remember being at the Estes and learning of the wreck that took his life.
I thought he played at Northern.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4 Beta

grizfnz said:
putter said:
havgrizfan said:

Thurman Sr. played at Northern and at Carroll. Not sure why he played the year at Carroll.

Triwest said:
grizfnz said:
putter said:
havgrizfan said:

Thurman Sr. played at Northern and at Carroll. Not sure why he played the year at Carroll.

He was recruited out of Seattle to Carroll....think of our little QB situation and that is what happened to Thurman Sr. at Carroll so he moved on to Northern.. Funny, never hit the papers in Helena or anywhere.....

Back