• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Thoughts on "Firing Delaney" (different viewpoint)

Guardiangriz

The thread has gotten way off course again, so I'd thought start a thread with a different view point. There is no way we should "Fire" Delaney. He stepped up and took the job, when nobody else would want to, into a terrible position that Pres. Engstrom created, in our head football coaching position. He has done a great job in recruiting, certainly given the circumstances. So firing him, in the middle of the season, would be another terrible move by RE. In fact, RE is the one that needs to be fired. He is terrible.

Now... do we need to take a hard look at NOT RENEWING HIS CONTRACT AFTER THE SEASON?? Yes. This totally different than firing him. Firing Delaney would be a terrible PR move frankly. He's a Butte guy, people like him, and he's a good guy. Let him ride this season out and show him some respect, as I don't think it will end up being a train wreck. (But, he should be retired, and not leading the Griz.)

We'll end the season with a respectable record (my opinion), and from there, we should look at all options for the next head coach. I'm not sold on Gragg as the guy.. I am much more sold on Gregorak being the guy.. but regardless, the job needs to be opened up on a national basis. Do it right, find the right guy, and let's move forward.

Delaney should be applauded for the work he's done, certainly in light of the job he stepped into, but I can see no reason why his contract should be renewed after the season.

GO GRIZ :thumb:

I'm confused. The Griz are 6-2? What if we make the playoffs (which we're still on course to do) and lose out in the second round? Does that still warrant a firing? To me that just defines the last decade of Griz football. Getting into playoffs and not winning an NC, but we never fired that coach.

I feel that this is all fumed with the loss we just suffered to a great opponent. EWU beat OSU and we only lose 42-37...yet we're talking about firing? I agree the play calling isn't quite there...but shouldn't we get on the co-offensive coordinators for that? Delaney is the best thing for Griz football right now and has put us in a positive light with his attitude and demeanor. Sheesh.

After the season is over we should talk about this, but not right now. Get over yourselves and your constant thirst for going undefeated. The Big Sky used to be a patty-cake conference. I'm thrilled we have some competition now. It's good for everyone.

Gregorak the guy? Is one of the criteria creating as many BSC offensive players as possible for our opposition?

this has fumed from coaching that I wont get into... Yes big sky looked easy cuz Montana was so good.. Its fumed from cal poly game and trailing by 25 in the two games vs only 2 good teams we played. It fumed from going 11-8 and the 11 wins vs combined 30-74.. I believe people think that the talent is there and expecting to beat a good team sometimes... but hey some pretend that 9-3 or 8-4 with no quality wins is good enough,,, and its virtually impossible to miss the 24 team playoffs if a team is any good at all.

Grizaholic16 said:
I'm confused. The Griz are 6-2? What if we make the playoffs (which we're still on course to do) and lose out in the second round? Does that still warrant a firing? To me that just defines the last decade of Griz football. Getting into playoffs and not winning an NC, but we never fired that coach.

I feel that this is all fumed with the loss we just suffered to a great opponent. EWU beat OSU and we only lose 42-37...yet we're talking about firing? I agree the play calling isn't quite there...but shouldn't we get on the co-offensive coordinators for that? Delaney is the best thing for Griz football right now and has put us in a positive light with his attitude and demeanor. Sheesh.

After the season is over we should talk about this, but not right now. Get over yourselves and your constant thirst for going undefeated. The Big Sky used to be a patty-cake conference. I'm thrilled we have some competition now. It's good for everyone.

grizcountry420 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
+1
But we do need a national search for the next coach.

I agree but what kind of coach are we going to get for what Montana pays their coaches?

A guy like Jonathan Smith comes to mind. A young coach who has aspirations of coaching beyond UM.

You don't fire Delaney.

You put a "succession plan" in place immediately. If you did it now, you could have Mick return as a fund raiser for the next 3 years. Or you could give him next year, with the new coach coming in as the sole "OC" or some other position. Then next year can be his final tour. Recruits know what the plan is. Assistant coaches have a year to audition for their positions. Some will leave, some will stay, but that is life. And that is part of the coaching profession.

Other schools ARE using the coaching questions against us in recruiting. I have heard this from recruits themselves.

grizcountry420 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
+1

I agree but what kind of coach are we going to get for what Montana pays their coaches?
I would guess we pay at least as much as Eastern Washington. If there's another Beau Baldwin out there, I would sure like to find him.

Delaney's BSC Record - 6-7. Wins in '12 were against UNC, ISU and Weber. Wins in '13 are against PSU, UC Davis and CPSLO, the latter consuming our miracle for the year. We're ready to sign up for another contract period of this when there may be another Beau Baldwin out there chomping at the bit for a HC opportunity at a school like Montana?

Grizaholic16 said:

As long as we can play 8-9 teams a year with losing records, we will be fine with him at the helm.

stubbins said:
Grizaholic16 said:

As long as we can play 8-9 teams a year with losing records, we will be fine with him at the helm.

Real good point, next year our OOC had two road games, @Wyo and @NDSU. I can't remember who our two home games are (if they've even been announced), probably some D2 school and another pushover. Conference goes vsUNC, @UND, vsUCD, @CP, vsSac, @EWU, @SUU, vsMSU

Some teams regress, others improve but if you look at that in theory the Griz will have 2 OOC home games against inferior teams and play 5 games against teams that aren't doing very well this season. So another 7+ wins that can be glossed over by playing sub-par teams.

Guardiangriz said:
The thread has gotten way off course again, so I'd thought start a thread with a different view point. There is no way we should "Fire" Delaney. He stepped up and took the job, when nobody else would want to, into a terrible position that Pres. Engstrom created, in our head football coaching position. He has done a great job in recruiting, certainly given the circumstances. So firing him, in the middle of the season, would be another terrible move by RE. In fact, RE is the one that needs to be fired. He is terrible.

Now... do we need to take a hard look at NOT RENEWING HIS CONTRACT AFTER THE SEASON?? Yes. This totally different than firing him. Firing Delaney would be a terrible PR move frankly. He's a Butte guy, people like him, and he's a good guy. Let him ride this season out and show him some respect, as I don't think it will end up being a train wreck. (But, he should be retired, and not leading the Griz.)

We'll end the season with a respectable record (my opinion), and from there, we should look at all options for the next head coach. I'm not sold on Gragg as the guy.. I am much more sold on Gregorak being the guy.. but regardless, the job needs to be opened up on a national basis. Do it right, find the right guy, and let's move forward.

Delaney should be applauded for the work he's done, certainly in light of the job he stepped into, but I can see no reason why his contract should be renewed after the season.

How do we know this? We don't! Engstrom didn't look elsewhere.

'68griz said:
Guardiangriz said:

How do we know this? We don't! Engstrom didn't look elsewhere.

He did, it was reported he contacted Mike Van Diest as well as I think a few other coaches with Griz ties.

griz5700 said:
grizcountry420 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
+1
A guy like Jonathan Smith comes to mind. A young coach who has aspirations of coaching beyond UM.
AMEN! I would love to have JS. Young. Aggressive. Likes to air it out. About the closest coach to Baldwin we could ask for. He has some ties to the program and some "friends" already on the staff.
The last couple years feel like a nightmare that I can't wake up from. Q: What's the worst thing to come from all the off-the-field stuff? A: A return to booby-ball. If recent history has proven anthing, it's that booby-ball will never get us a chipper. I'm convinced that can only happen if we air it out.
http://www.broncosports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jonathan_smith_843446.html

Don't worry about a return of BobbyBall... he's too busy turning a terrible losing UNLV program in to winners.(5-3, just beat UNR on the road) I hated bobby ball too.. 3 national title game appearances, with some of the most successful (in terms of wins) classes to ever come through UM, and more kids being picked up by NFL teams than we've EVER had in the history of our school.

Those were terrible years with that Bobby Hauck.... :roll: :?

I'd love another coach like Hauck.... Beau Baldwin. Oh wait, never in a million years will we see either of those two.

Someone's said it before.. let's bring in a young up and comer, with ties to the program, and a little more of a brash swagger to them. (and I don't mind a disciplinarian style either).

Some that come to mind:

Jonathan Smith
Ty Gregorak
There has to be someone at NDSU that comes close to that description
Dave Dickenson (hell would freeze over first, but would be worth a try)

Anyone else you all can think of?

GO GRIZ

What makes you think he wants to stick with it? Wasn't he retired and asked to come back during the transition?
Maybe he'll head back to Butte and re-retire.

Back