• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Thoughts about our loss...

GoodGodGriz

Well-known member
DONOR
Wow...
It's been a long time since we've had to deal with a loss. Im sure everyone is wrestling with the same emotions. It was tough watching the Joe Glenn show.

I am proud however that Joe and the players are beginning to put this behind them. Todays paper pointed to the fact that the Griz/Cat game are now the only thing on their minds. Nothing else matters at this point. They know the importance of winning this game. Unfortunately, so do the Cats.

I anticipate the best game of the year on 11/23/02.

I hope that Joe and Co. realize that our 'buttered toast' offense (ya know what I mean... plain, tasteless, enough to sustain your appetite but doesn't taste as good as an omlette) is no longer going to cut it. Cockhill has GOT to come up with a game plan that includes more than 5 plays. Our running backs are both less than 90%... you can't run the ball like that and expect to win a game! The screen pass is so predictable that defenses are sniffing it out almost every play.

Hancock and Levander had some great catches, but they were few and far between. Something has to be done to bring a spark to the offense. What surprised me most was the fact that Edwards had over 300 yards passing and we still come up short!

The defense could not penetrate EWU's line... why? How did we get burned for so many passing yards?

So many questions and so little time to come up with answers...

I KNOW that Joe Glenn and the coaches will be better prepared this week and will have an answer. I have faith in this team and their desire to come out ahead in the face of adversity.
 
Could Cockhill break out the old Don Read playbook and dust that sucker off? Four wideouts? Time to air it out?

Comments?
 
We definitely need to adopt a spread offense. Look at how many successful offenses use the spread effectively in the NFL. Back in the DD era, I think his receivers and the offensive playcalling made him appear even better than he was. We have to get our tight ends involved in the game as well. Hell.... go back to the 4 wideout sets with #5 in the shotgun. If he is as good as everyone says lets put his arm to the test.
Whatever it takes to dominate the Bobcats by 20 or more!!
 
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Two wide outs, a wingback in motion, and lot's of two tight end formations? Not an all out air attack by any means. It's a good offensive attack if you take advantage with more than 6-7 plays. 80% of our runs are up the middle. Ya think the opposition might start looking for it?
 
I have been saying this ever since he has been in charge. The GSU national championship game was the most painful thing to watch. But since then I have noticed improvement.

This year they have switched up some formations to run the old plays out of new formations. They have been creative, but few and far between.

I think that it rests on the whole coaching staff though. They are conservative. And even more conservative in big games. I hate watching the offense run straight dives every single first down. If I were a defensive coach, I would stop the run on first down. That would set up 2nd and long. Then blitz on 2nd.......keeping a spy on the screen play. This would most likely set up 3rd and long......and we all call this the money down.

They need to pull all the stops this weekend. We are very much still in the hunt....but if we lose this weekend......... it's all over but the :cry: .


We have never made it to the NC without being home all the way. Do not underestimate the power of Washington-Grizzly Stadium and the fans that pack that place every game. Texas A&M calls their crowd the 12th man. I say that the Wash-Griz is the 12th-20,000th man. And we need them all because the guys in the black and white seem to have been on the other teams roster this year. :wink:
 
Our standard Joe Glenn era offense is geared to protect a great defense, give up few turnovers and allow us to run the clock. This requires a good running game--more than a max of 8 yards in our best run, as well as a real good defensive effort. If our defense is not up to the task, and serving up shortened field easy drives, our offense can get 3 first downs and we punt. The problem with taking the tight ends out of the games is it shortens the width of the line and makes both sides suceptible on every play to outside rushes. Remember what happened in Bosie in 1994--almost all of the sacks of Super Dave came off the corner. Making an outside rusher at least start the width of our TE's outside give our QB enought time to get a read and trigger a pass. It also give the Tackle time to move his feet and get in the way. It seems to me what we need to do is drive the cats nuts with passes to our TEs instead of rushing the ball so much. Doing so would help the run and keep the LBs and S honest while opening up our deeper patterns. In addition, we need keep better saftey valves patterns so Edwards isn't faced with eating the ball so much. Billy know everyone knows our screen package, look for 1 or 2 variations to the backside or back. Don't thow out the playbook--just turn to the good pages.
 
I think the problems with the running game has to do with the running backs not being up to speed. You can't send a slower back to the outside and expect to get the corner. The same is true with the screen package. When you take the running back out of the mix, it becomes a lot less to defend. Hopefully, the offense will be back to its old self when Waller and Gober heal up and regain that step they seemed to have on everyone in the first half of the season.
 
Sportin' Life said:
I think the problems with the running game has to do with the running backs not being up to speed. You can't send a slower back to the outside and expect to get the corner. The same is true with the screen package. When you take the running back out of the mix, it becomes a lot less to defend. Hopefully, the offense will be back to its old self when Waller and Gober heal up and regain that step they seemed to have on everyone in the first half of the season.

The other problem is that we don't really have any dominating WRs. Not that they haven't had thier problems too. I'm just saying we haven't gotten the chance to get a single WR into a consistant rhytham this year like in the past.
 
The word is RHYTHM that is how you spell it......not that it matters. I suck at spell, but since I am a music major............have a nice day. :roll:
 
GeauxGriz said:
The word is RHYTHM that is how you spell it......not that it matters. I suck at spell, but since I am a music major............have a nice day. :roll:

I oh so suck without a spell check.
 
Griz won at James Madison in the semis

GeauxGriz said:
I have been saying this ever since he has been in charge. The GSU national championship game was the most painful thing to watch. But since then I have noticed improvement.

This year they have switched up some formations to run the old plays out of new formations. They have been creative, but few and far between.

I think that it rests on the whole coaching staff though. They are conservative. And even more conservative in big games. I hate watching the offense run straight dives every single first down. If I were a defensive coach, I would stop the run on first down. That would set up 2nd and long. Then blitz on 2nd.......keeping a spy on the screen play. This would most likely set up 3rd and long......and we all call this the money down.

They need to pull all the stops this weekend. We are very much still in the hunt....but if we lose this weekend......... it's all over but the :cry: .


We have never made it to the NC without being home all the way. Do not underestimate the power of Washington-Grizzly Stadium and the fans that pack that place every game. Texas A&M calls their crowd the 12th man. I say that the Wash-Griz is the 12th-20,000th man. And we need them all because the guys in the black and white seem to have been on the other teams roster this year. :wink:
 
kevraid said:
Griz won at James Madison in the semis

GeauxGriz said:
I have been saying this ever since he has been in charge. The GSU national championship game was the most painful thing to watch. But since then I have noticed improvement.

This year they have switched up some formations to run the old plays out of new formations. They have been creative, but few and far between.

I think that it rests on the whole coaching staff though. They are conservative. And even more conservative in big games. I hate watching the offense run straight dives every single first down. If I were a defensive coach, I would stop the run on first down. That would set up 2nd and long. Then blitz on 2nd.......keeping a spy on the screen play. This would most likely set up 3rd and long......and we all call this the money down.

They need to pull all the stops this weekend. We are very much still in the hunt....but if we lose this weekend......... it's all over but the :cry: .


We have never made it to the NC without being home all the way. Do not underestimate the power of Washington-Grizzly Stadium and the fans that pack that place every game. Texas A&M calls their crowd the 12th man. I say that the Wash-Griz is the 12th-20,000th man. And we need them all because the guys in the black and white seem to have been on the other teams roster this year. :wink:

Um... You do realize that this thread was back from all the way in 2002, and the James Madison game was in 2008, right?
 
get'em_griz said:
kevraid said:
Griz won at James Madison in the semis

GeauxGriz said:
I have been saying this ever since he has been in charge. The GSU national championship game was the most painful thing to watch. But since then I have noticed improvement.

This year they have switched up some formations to run the old plays out of new formations. They have been creative, but few and far between.

I think that it rests on the whole coaching staff though. They are conservative. And even more conservative in big games. I hate watching the offense run straight dives every single first down. If I were a defensive coach, I would stop the run on first down. That would set up 2nd and long. Then blitz on 2nd.......keeping a spy on the screen play. This would most likely set up 3rd and long......and we all call this the money down.

They need to pull all the stops this weekend. We are very much still in the hunt....but if we lose this weekend......... it's all over but the :cry: .


We have never made it to the NC without being home all the way. Do not underestimate the power of Washington-Grizzly Stadium and the fans that pack that place every game. Texas A&M calls their crowd the 12th man. I say that the Wash-Griz is the 12th-20,000th man. And we need them all because the guys in the black and white seem to have been on the other teams roster this year. :wink:

Um... You do realize that this thread was back from all the way in 2002, and the James Madison game was in 2008, right?
hahahahahahaha :D :D :lol: :lol: :clap:
 
get'em_griz said:
kevraid said:
Griz won at James Madison in the semis

GeauxGriz said:
Um... You do realize that this thread was back from all the way in 2002, and the James Madison game was in 2008, right?

Griz lost to James Madison in the National Championship game in Chattanoooga in 2004 in a game Griz should have won except for a costly penalty (roughing the passer) on 4th down that kept a JMU drive alive and pitiful field conditions (new sod)!

On a decent field Griz win National Championship in 2004.
 
GrizRanger said:
get'em_griz said:
kevraid said:
Griz won at James Madison in the semis

GeauxGriz said:
Um... You do realize that this thread was back from all the way in 2002, and the James Madison game was in 2008, right?

Griz lost to James Madison in the National Championship game in Chattanoooga in 2004 in a game Griz should have won except for a costly penalty (roughing the passer) on 4th down that kept a JMU drive alive and pitiful field conditions (new sod)!

On a decent field Griz win National Championship in 2004.

James Madison had to play on the same field.
 
Back
Top