• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This will sound petty to some, but.....

griz4life

DONOR
It seems unnecessarily distracting to involve players in pregame stuff like the breast cancer awareness ceremony before the start of the game.
We had players and coaches making their way through the crowd and down the stands to get to the field. Once on the field, they gathered in the southwest corner and waited as breast cancer survivors launched the tunnel run. The event didn't seem go off as planned, as the survivors were through the run by the time the announcer began reading off their names.
Like I've already admitted, some people will think this is petty stuff, but an athlete should be in his routine leading up to playing the game, same with coaches. This was a big game, the most challenging one of the season so far. Why throw in the added complication of having to participate in the pregame?
The Griz usually run out of the tunnel with seconds to spare before kickoff. That's the way it should be. focus focus focus.
We could certainly honor the breast cancer survivors without distracting the team.

Had a similar thought, I've heard the talking point that football players are "creatures of habit" and that "habit" of running out of the tunnel was disrupted (IMO) with the pre-game idea. It was a cool premise, but I wonder if it messed with their focus a bit? Not sure... the defense played better than it did when it ran out of the tunnel against PSU, haha.

Same here. Although I respect the intentions (my sister is a breast cancer survivor) there has to be a better way than what they did sat. We commented about it before the game that the whole pregame mojo seemed way off and hoped it didn't effect the team. I'm not blaming the play on the pregame but one has to wonder. :?:

Absolutely no more military appreciation salutes either! Honoring military heroes and disabled veterans is far too distracting and what a downer when those disfigured men and women take the field!

HannahO said:
Absolutely no more military appreciation salutes either! Honoring military heroes and disabled veterans is far too distracting and what a downer when those disfigured men and women take the field!

We have a pregame ceremony that involves the entire team saluting vets?

I have a tremendous amount of respect for posters like Brint and Hammer, and I, like everybody else, did feel the pregame itself was off. The timing of videos, ect, was screwed up and on and on. But, I don't believe it had any effect on UM's play, and I'm actually a very supersticious guy.

We can't have it both ways. I have seen hundreds of posts on Egriz over the years when ripping players and they are to the effect: "These kids are college football players, not high school players, they should be able to handle (insert here) situation." Well, the same thing goes for the pregame. If Griz players aren't mature enough and focused enough to handle doing a different pregame ONE TIME in their Grizzly careers, then we need to not expect them to be mature enough to not mistakes and off the field, we need to not EXPECT them to be mature enough to not violate team rules once in a while, and we need to NOT EXPECT them to be mature enough to play their best every down of every game. It's cut and dry. Either they are or they aren't. My guess is, the Griz players handled the Pink pregame just fine and it wasn't the reason for trailing a mere 14-7 at halftime. It sure didn't seem to bother Herbert Gamboa early in the game or on Canada's hard-nosed TD run after the block.

Oh crap, I heard Delaney and the team captains were going to parachute into the stadium with the Silvertip skydivers for this game while the rest of the team held the field size American flag in honor of military appreciation day.

HannahO said:

Another sweet analogy by Ms. O. Keep it up! I'm thinking something that compares football helmets to the War of 1812, but I'm not picky.

griz4life said:
HannahO said:

We have a pregame ceremony that involves the entire team saluting vets?

You mean you don't salute the military? Damn commies!! (I'm too lazy to look u p if you have a sarcasm smilie but assume that I would put one here and save yourself a lot of unnecessary outrage). I really thought that part was obvious in the original post but, damn, you boys are thin skinned and really touchy. NM

1Griz_Fan said:
Oh crap, I heard Delaney and the team captains were going to parachute into the stadium with the Silvertip skydivers for this game while the rest of the team held the field size American flag in honor of military appreciation day.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

HannahO said:

it's not a downer to me it's an honor to meet these men and women THAT PUT ALL ON THE LINE FOR YOU! thank you vets!

CDAGRIZ said:
HannahO said:

Another sweet analogy by Ms. O. Keep it up! I'm thinking something that compares football helmets to the War of 1812, but I'm not picky.

Close.

I have a leaked photo of the Griz "Throwback" helmets for Military Appreciation Day....

You mean you don't salute the military? Damn commies!!

Wait. Aren't the commies always saluting the military?

th

Well, now I'm just confused, Hannah.

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
HannahO said:

Close.

I have a leaked photo of the Griz "Throwback" helmets for Military Appreciation Day....

Solid work. Targeting fouls will now take two players out of the game.

CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
HannahO said:

Close.

Solid work. Targeting fouls will now take two players out of the game.

Those are Hun helmets dumbkoff!

Back