• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This offense vs the last 2 years

JayLarson

I noticed last night with the new power running game vs the Spread running game how many fewer times that there were negative yardage plays. I only can recall a couple of times that the Griz even lost yards on a play last night, the first play of the game JJ lost 2 yards was one. Gaining 3 to 4 yards on first down is a key to winning football and we did that very well. The spread running game always seemed to have an equal chance of losing yards as it did of gaining yards. I liked the running game last night as it was not based on fooling the defense, it is based on lining up and dominating the guys across from you. Even the passing game was much improved out of this offense as there is throwing the ball down the field, not just throwing a bunch of screens to the outside, I know some of you will say well JJ threw a lot of short passes to the outside but that was simply taking advantage of the defense giving up that pass. I was honestly surprised when I got home from the game how many yards the Grizzlies actually racked up. Alabama has dominated college football while not running the spread, Stanford can knock off Oregon and their spread by using this power running game, and I am very glad that the Griz have gone back to this style, although I do miss the Air Bear, but that was many years ago now. Great win last night!

I'm not one to argue with success, But i wasn't expecting a whole sale change to the Pro-set. I thought that the coaches would use the Read Option on a series or two per game. Simply because the team is already experienced with the system and continuing to use the system would force the opposing team to prepare for both systems.

I miss the Air Read system too, it was fun to watch. But watching the O-line plow through people in the fourth quarter is fun too.

I love the smashmouth approach. I always liked the pro set, and it seems to produce wins. I think it fits Montana well, and we should stick with it. Can't wait to run over the top of the big sky conference with this offensive line this year. It's gonna be a lot of fun to watch!

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
I love the smashmouth approach. I always liked the pro set, and it seems to produce wins. I think it fits Montana well, and we should stick with it. Can't wait to run over the top of the big sky conference with this offensive line this year. It's gonna be a lot of fun to watch!
this :thumb:

Honestly, like I said in the other thread, I think we didn't really "go back" to anything.

This is a completely new offense we haven't seen in Montana before.

The only similarity between this and Bobby Ball is the slowed down approach.

I'm excited to see what we bust out over the next few weeks. I loved how many different formations we rolled with. :clap:

As things progress and the offense evolves, you will see more of the read option. Too much talent at quarterback not to use it on occasion.

Gaeilge1 said:
As things progress and the offense evolves, you will see more of the read option. Too much talent at quarterback not to use it on occasion.
I suspect we will use it and use JJ when it is needed, not when it isn't. JJ should have a very long season and we need to limit the shots the opponents have at him.

So far, so good. I enjoyed the offense Saturday night. I hope it can maintain the efficiency. They did great at converting third downs and keeping drives alive.

When we have mountain sized men in the front, we need to take advantage of that. The smash mouth style play of "here we come, try and stop us," only sets up the streaming wide-out for a long completion and 6 points. Third down and 2 is sure alot nicer than 3rd & 11. Ball control in the 4th quarter will be much easier using this set for sure. Having to throw when clinging to leads near the games end has always been nerve racking. Big difference in Read's AIR offenses as they were up by 50 points in the 4th.

By not running the read option offense... we aren't putting Jordy in a position to take hits as frequently. I LIKE THAT.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Gaeilge1 said:
Hope you are correct...

Back