• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This is how Pat Williams will be appointed to the BOR

BWahlberg

DONOR
http://helenair.com/news/legislature/medicaid-expansion-bill-survives-but-gop-says-it-still-won/article_746c5b94-9bd7-11e2-90d6-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Senators Llew Jones of Conrad and Jim Peterson of Buffalo were among 5 republicans to cross the aisle to keep this bill alive. It has nothing to do with Pat Williams, however it suggests the political games and deals that are happening. This bill was previously defeated by the same group of people.

Why will this matter for the PW appointment? Peterson chairs and Jones co-chairs the committee reviewing his nomination. There's been whispers of agreements and back-door deals to support democrat bills and appointments in exchange for democrat support of republican bills. It appears to me that Jones and Peterson could be the swing votes that place Williams on to the board of regents.

That committee needs to continually hear from you if you disagree.

Contact the committee (senate education and cultural resources) here: http://leg.mt.gov/css/Sessions/63rd/legwebmessage.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and ask them to vote AGAINST SR-47

Also feel free to contact or write Jones and Peterson directly and ask them not to approve Williams.

BTW I should add in that I'm meaning to post this as a political referendum against the bill itself, I'm glad it passed. What I'm trying to point out is that we're seeing the shifts of support here and possibly the back-door deals that are being made.

I don't for one second think they voted for this just to gain political favor, there's a good write-up for many other reasons why.

http://mtcowgirl.com/2013/04/02/analysis-why-republicans-in-the-mt-senate-supported-bullocks-medicaid-expansion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Want to email Jones and Peterson directly?

Llew Jones: [email protected]
http://openstates.org/mt/legislators/MTL000021/llew-jones/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim Peterson: [email protected]
http://openstates.org/mt/legislators/MTL000032/jim-peterson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If putting PW on the board of Regeants is all it took to pass this bill, then I guess "welcome to the board pat" It was critical to pass it.

That being said as screwball as some of the GOP's in the senate are, I don't think they would sell out that cheap. I sorta like the old days when the ACM posted the going rates for votes. this back door stuff is too confusing.

Brint, I truly appreciate the work you are doing on the PW appointment, and hope he is not confirmed. However, history seems to be on the side of confirming contentious appointees.

I lobbied for a group that supported a contentious nominee. The Senate voted and made a big show of splitting his appointment hearing from the slate of nominees. Those in opposition absolutely BASHED this gentleman professionally and personally at the hearing and through numerous media outlets, but in the end he was confirmed...

As I feel his appointment is inevitable, I hope folks will continue to hold his feet to the fire during his term.

I don't think this appointment is inevitable, and tnt I see your point, I think this medicaid expansion bill is highly important as well. Jones and Peterson crossing the aisle on this bill itself doesn't also mean Williams is a lock - it just shows me that these two are making concessions for democrat bills. I have no information that their participation in this bill is tied to Williams nomination.

BWahlberg said:
I don't think this appointment is inevitable, and tnt I see your point, I think this medicaid expansion bill is highly important as well. Jones and Peterson crossing the aisle on this bill itself doesn't also mean Williams is a lock - it just shows me that these two are making concessions for democrat bills. I have no information that their participation in this bill is tied to Williams nomination.

I don't think its inevitable either...... There are few appointments that really matter to people (at large) this is one of them.

Politics is all about backdoor deals and should surprise no one. I am pretty sure that PW will be appointed, and I know it is because the Republicans will use this as leverage for items down the road. No one is going to lose their next race because of PW and how they voted on the issue. This entire process is just posturing for the future.

Williams vote was fast-tracked to the floor - Senate will vote tomorrow. Call to action coming soon.

Interesting vote to bring the resolution out of committee. Motion made by Lewis (R-Helena) and most of the opposition 18 votes came from Demos, hardcore Williams supporters plus a couple of Repubs who don't get along with their leadership and have been voting with the Demos on major stuff.

If this is at all indicative of sentiment then the Williams confirmation looks like it could go down. The vote today was 32-18. Don't let up though, as things are in constant flux, and I'm sure the Williams die-hards are doubling down.

The motion was specific that it would be considered on the 70th legislative day, which is tomorrow, so it's definitely coming up.

I care a lot less about who is on the Board of Regents than about taking care of the poor. Thanks for posting a link to a significant article covering politics.

Pat's confirmation is far from a slam dunk! He has told some of his friends/supporters that 'he didn't sign-up for this', and that 'he is afraid of being embarrassed'. I want to thank my Senator, Dave Lewis for being a thorn in Pat's ass and doing what every elected official should be doing! I would put the odds at 50/50, and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he is defeated.

Liquor up front! said:
Pat's confirmation is far from a slam dunk! He has told some of his friends/supporters that 'he didn't sign-up for this', and that 'he is afraid of being embarrassed'. I want to thank my Senator, Dave Lewis for being a thorn in Pat's ass and doing what every elected official should be doing! I would put the odds at 50/50, and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he is defeated.

I'd say a toss-up is the best way to describe it right now for sure.

Back