• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Things Could be WAY Worse

IdaGriz01

Have not seen this posted, but ... just ... Wow!
Grambling Players Refuse to Get On The Bus
George Dohrmann said:
Anyone who wants to understand why the players on the 0-7 Grambling State football team revolted this week -- walking out of a Tuesday meeting with the school's president and athletic director, boycotting practice and finally refusing to travel to Saturday's game with Jackson State -- should visit the weight room in the school's Stadium Support Building.
Since 2007-08, overall state funding for Grambling has gone from $31.6 million to $13.8 million. The school has attempted to bridge that gap by increasing tuition, but it has fallen short, and cuts have been made across the board. Approximately 127 staff members have been laid off since 2008 and furloughs are common. Professors have also been asked to teach an extra class each year for free. Generally, the school has "cut to the bone," says Leon Sanders, Grambling's vice president for finance. ...
There much more, and none of it is good.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131018/grambling-football/

Wow!!!! what a depressing article!!! No wonder that one of their top DL prospects (from Texas no less) transferred to MSU last Fall....he got out of that cluster just in time!!

So silly. Its sounds like college kids. Honestly there are tons of kids who would ride a bus for 24 hours to play college football and to possibly earn a scholarship. I understand the issues with equipment but the more I read the more it looks like they just want everything their way and the equipment is the scape goat. They had zero complaints before the year. Now they walk out over it?? Silly. If I'm the school I cut football, cut the kids scholarships and restart brand new in 2 years. Football is a privilege not a right and they have a right to quit but the school has the right to boot them on their butt.

I saw this earlier today. I don't understand the title the OP is using though. Things are very very good right now at UM from a football standpoint, including going ahead with infrastucture upgrades. The OP makes it sounds like things are bad here, or somewhere.

havgrizfan said:
I saw this earlier today. I don't understand the title the OP is using though. Things are very very good right now at UM from a football standpoint, including going ahead with infrastucture upgrades. The OP makes it sounds like things are bad here, or somewhere.
I agree that things are pretty good for UM football, and maybe I could have picked a better title.

But ... here was my thought:
Earlier threads have talked about how -- while WaGriz is great -- the UM facilities have fallen behind the curve. I recall claims of mold on the walls and ceiling, etc. "Infrastructure upgrades" have been promised for a long time, but they are not yet in place, and: Who knows how long before they are a reality?

So people on here have bitched about that. There have been assertions, perhaps valid, that the poor behind-the-scenes stuff could hurt the Griz recruiting. My title reflected the fact that, however we might wish for a glitzier weight room and so on ... things could be way worse.

Back