• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

There is a push by the A10 to reduce Scholarships in 1AA

ronbo

The A10 wants reduced scholarships in 1AA and they feel they will get support nationwide because most 1AA schools lose money.

What will Montana's future be in a 45 or 50 scholarship 1AA? I guess Div. II has already approved a reduction to 36. Everyone still want to stay 1AA if they get this change approved? You know at 50 scholarships it's just Div II talent level all over again.

Grants survey sought
A-10 wants views of I-AA members
BY JOHN O'CONNOR
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Friday, October 10, 2003

The Atlantic 10 Football Conference athletic directors yesterday reaffirmed their commitment to the highest level of Division I-AA and its current scholarship limit of 63, while requesting the NCAA conduct a national survey to include the subject of I-AA scholarships.

"Our directors feel it is important to have a national discussion about some of the unique issues facing the I-AA membership," A-10 Commissioner Linda Bruno said in a league release. "A comprehensive survey of the I-AA membership will not only be informative, but extremely beneficial."

Within the A-10 and nationally, there are wide-ranging views about the appropriate level of I-AA football scholarship funding, depending on the institution and its financial situation.

A report produced before yesterday's meeting by an A-10 committee formed to review scholarships in part said: "[The committee believes] that there could be some support to lower scholarships nationally, but no one appeared ready to take the lead on this issue . . .

"The committee determined that if the reduction of scholarships was on a national basis, that the vote to support that legislation among the Atlantic 10 Conference members would most likely be unanimous.

"However, the vote would be very different if it was limited to the conference only. A reduction in scholarships under those circumstances would result in a less-competitive league on a national basis, which would not be a goal of all members."

The committee includes Jim Miller, the University of Richmond's athletic director, Terry Driscoll, William and Mary's athletic director, Bruno and two other athletic directors at league schools.

The A-10 athletic directors also would like this NCAA-conducted survey to provide national feedback regarding I-AA's playoffs, a money-losing endeavor for most participants. A bowl game was suggested as a possible postseason substitute for the A-10 champion, which could annually face another league's champion.

Also at the meeting held in Philadelphia, the A-10 finalized the two-division setup that will take effect next season, when Towson becomes the league's 12th member. Each team will annually play five games in its division and three vs. opponents from the other division.

South: Delaware, James Madison, Richmond, Towson, Villanova, William and Mary.

North: Hofstra, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Rhode Island.

We will be 1A way before this goes though all the stages of dabate.

Did anybody catch the interview with BSC commissioner Doug Fulton at halftime of the NDSU game? It was some sad, but eye opening news. :eek:

The Atlantic 10 Football Conference athletic directors yesterday reaffirmed their commitment to the highest level of Division I-AA and its current scholarship limit of 63

The committee determined that if the reduction of scholarships was on a national basis, that the vote to support that legislation among the Atlantic 10 Conference members would most likely be unanimous.

Doesnt sound like the A-10 is pushing anything. There are a couple of statements in there that could suggest that's exactly what they're doing if taken out of context.

Read the article carefully. They are asking for a National Survey of 1AA member schools. They don't want to go it alone but will vote unanimously for the reduction if they can determine through survey that it would pass.

"The committee determined that if the reduction of scholarships was on a national basis, that the vote to support that legislation among the Atlantic 10 Conference members would most likely be unanimous.

The next step will be to force a vote. When you have 85% of 1AA drawing under 8000 fans, they are losing money hand over fist. It could be just a matter of time. The vote could possibly be 90-35 to reduce across the board. Just like Div II did, cutting costs could be a major move for 1AA.

They also want to do away with the playoffs.

The A-10 athletic directors also would like this NCAA-conducted survey to provide national feedback regarding I-AA's playoffs, a money-losing endeavor for most participants. A bowl game was suggested as a possible postseason substitute for the A-10 champion, which could annually face another league's champion.

Our days of being a "Big Fish" in a "Little Pond" are numbered.

GeauxGriz said:
We will be 1A way before this goes though all the stages of dabate.

Did anybody catch the interview with BSC commissioner Doug Fulton at halftime of the NDSU game? It was some sad, but eye opening news. :eek:

My bad...it was the SHSU game.... http://www.mtgriz.com/asxVideo/vgrizfball_030913.asx

Go to 1:52.00 And listen up...you'll need Windows Media Player.

Geaux,

I was at that game and missed that interview. Also my windows player is on the blink, some kind of runtime error.

Can you give a report on the interview? Thanks.

I'll make a run at it, he says the Dakota Schools (NDSU specifically) are good Schools that should be D-I, however their location is bad for the Big Sky. He does think that the Big Sky will grow someday, just not with the Dakotas. He goes on to talk about how things are changing in college football. He points out that you only need to avg. 15,000 fans to be D-I in football and look at the crowds that Montana brings in every game. He says Montana is ready. He seems to imply that the BSC is moving towards becoming a D-I football conf., depending on how things shake out, and if it makes sense.

I would rather lose every first round of the playoffs than move to D1 and never be heard of again. The most we could ever hope for if we did well in D1 is maybe get a chance to play in some obscure bowl game nobody ever heard of. I think those schools like the A10 who can't hack it and want to drag the rest of us down with them should drop to DII. I remember sometime back on the IAA.org board someone mentioned starting a Super IAA Div. If this were to happen I think the top IAA schools should think about it.

Many of the a-10 schools are under fire for losing money in football and they have a hard time justifying it i guess.

I think they see that nearly all of the a-10 schools can't make the transition if div I re-aligns(the thing were the huge schools will be some super division and teams non-BCS schools and upper 1-aa teams will be the next division). And because most of them aren't div-1 caliber they're hoping to weaken the whole conference so they can stay intact. While the fact of the matter is teams like Delaware and UMass, would probably rather not a divII team with a 1-aa label.

The thing he said that struck me was the bit on ....."we would need a post season that was worth it....right now the playoffs are our best option, but if down the road we get a chance at a bowl game....AND IT WOULD PAY OFF we would have to seriously consider that......"

He made it sound as if the Whole BSC would move up together. So that would take the guess work out. He also said that the ACC picking up schools from the-big East would make the Big East pick up from the CUSA and CUSA would pick eastern WAC schools...The WAC would try to merge with The MT WEST...leaving alot of teams from the MOUNTIAN west.....he said that would leave lots of oppertunity for BSC....

Anywho....it is better to listen to...than to hear me sound off about. :wink:

I would really hate to see the Griz/BSC go to I-A in football. I think that I-A is the most screwed up mess in all of sports. Unless I am missing something here, every level of football has a playoff system except I-A... The BCS is the most overrated/overstated endeavor that has ever happened to college football. Unless you are one of the elite few you will never have the opportunity to play for a NC no matter how good you are. If starting with HS football all the way through the Pros, there is a playoff system, what the :evil: is so special about I-A that they feel that thousands of teams are wrong and their paltry number is so right. I just wish those I-A league commissioners would get their collective heads out of their collective postieriers.

The most discusting part in all this is that it is all money driven and there is no consideration of the athletes and the teams... Guess who makes the majority of the money in the bowls... it surely isn't the teams.... I-A thinks that they are the only game in town.... :mad:

ronbo
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:34 pm
Post subject: There is a push by the A10 to reduce Scholarships in 1AA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The A10 wants reduced scholarships in 1AA and they feel they will get support nationwide because most 1AA schools lose money.

What will Montana's future be in a 45 or 50 scholarship 1AA? I guess Div. II has already approved a reduction to 36. Everyone still want to stay 1AA if they get this change approved? You know at 50 scholarships it's just Div II talent level all over again.

The influx of smaller schools into Division II has increased the number of schools that support scholarship reductions. Many are coming from DIII and NAIA. This is the reason NDSU and SDSU are getting out of DII. The number may be down to 30 scholarships by next year. If a school in I-AA can't make it financially, maybe they should move to DII.

BisonMav said:
ronbo
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:34 pm
Post subject: There is a push by the A10 to reduce Scholarships in 1AA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The influx of smaller schools into Division II has increased the number of schools that support scholarship reductions. Many are coming from DIII and NAIA. This is the reason NDSU and SDSU are getting out of DII. The number may be down to 30 scholarships by next year. If a school in I-AA can't make it financially, maybe they should move to DII.

The problem with that Mav is basketball. Georgetown is a power in Div. 1 Basketball but they draw just 1700 for football. They will not drop down as will most all 1AA schools. They want to compete Div. 1 in the other sports.
They won't drop down.

Good point Ronbo. I think the schools that are opposed to the watering down of the scholies in D1AA just need to make a stand and stick together. If Georgetown can't hack it in D1AA then either they are destined to be a doormat or need to drop football. Scholies need to be kept strong at the D1AA level.

ronbo Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:55 am Post subject:
The problem with that Mav is basketball. Georgetown is a power in Div. 1 Basketball but they draw just 1700 for football. They will not drop down as will most all 1AA schools. They want to compete Div. 1 in the other sports.
They won't drop down.

I thought of that too. Like Wyobisonman said, maybe they need to drop football then, as opposed to bringing down I-AA as a whole. They could just give out less scholarships and take the consequences.

If the A-10 can't keep up, they have no reason to keep everyone else down. And if they lose too much money on the playoffs, THEN THEY SHOULDN'T GO. Few Easterners hardly give a damn about football in the first place. That's one of the big reasons the Big East wasn't financially viable for VaTech and Miami, so they had to go to a conference with other Southern schools where football is the big show.

I agree, sounds like the A-10 wants to have their cake and eat it too. There is no need to water down I-AA, if they can't keep up let them drop all their scholarships and duke it out with the Pioneer. If you want to play with the big boys then bring it.

Go SDSU!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's not law stating that in I-AA that you have to have 63 scholarships. It's time to strap it up. If those schools don't like it, they have leagues such as the Pioneer and the NEC that I am sure would be glad to take them. That way you keep your DI status, and can spend whatever you want in football. If you can't go full monte, go non scholarship.

They still want to be competitive. You're missing the point. They want to compete for the NC or with all the other schools in 1AA. They just don't want to carry so many scholarships. So how can you reduce scholarships and still be a top Conference?????

You force everyone to reduce scholarships.

Face it! The Griz are 1-AA members in name only. Outside of its BSC affiliation they have no affinity whatsoever with the great unwashed masses in 1-AA who offer few or limited scholarships and play before miniscule crowds made up largely of friends, girl friends and relatives. The Atlantic 10 schools that beat their chests and proclaim themselves superior to the BSC, Southern or Southland conferences are simply charlatans. Thirty scholarships and a bowl game for the A10 champ vs. who? How convenient. I see flag football in their future.

Another crack in the 1-AA picture is the planned defection of several Southland schools to 1-A. You Merry band of 1-AA loyalists can decry the division's demise all you want, but changes are coming. And there's nothing any of us can do about it, but be ready and hope that Griz football reacts in its own best interests. 1-AA football in five years?

Foggetaboutit!

Back