• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The RMAC(Rocky Mountain Athletic Confrence or R Mac)

alabamagrizzly

**WARNING** this is a move up thread but it has had some serious thought put into it and a little research. Please don't be too critical.

If Montana ever truly considered a move up this is the only way they should consider it. Make it a joint effort. Wrong joint 420. Find at least 7 or 8 other teams that could manage it. Some I think would be good candidates are ready, some are working on it, and some need to make improvements. The requirements for a move up are1)sponser 16 sports which at least eight must be womens and at least six mens. 2)the football team must avg at least 15,000 in avg attendence over a two year period. 3)60% of games and at least five home games must be against FBS opponents. 4)provide at least an avg of 90% of the permissble maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over two years. i think this means 90% of football players have to be under scholarship. 5)offer a minimun of 200 grants-in-aid or at least $400 million in grants-in-aid to all student athletes.
My group is-
1. Montana-including softball starting in 2014, we have six men's sports and nine women's leaving us one short of the total. I would prefer we add men's wrestling already having a very established high school wrestling program but I might think lacrosse or baseball might have an edge with club teams already in place that have had some success on a national level. Of course theres always the footbag alliance too. Average attendance, check. At 24,878 in 2011 and 25,236 in 2012, clearly we're there although a 20,000 second teir expansion would be pretty nice. The schedule and grant-in-aids(schollies?) will come with the jump up and the forming of the new conference for all the current FCS teams involved.
2. Montana St-they have the attendence with 17,627 in 2012 and 17,071 in 2011 and a stadium capacity of 19,000. they need to add more sports though. They have enough mens with 6 but only 7 womens and needing 3 more total sports.
3. Nor Dak St-they also have the attendence with 18,516 in 2012 and 18,143 in 2011 and a capacity of 18,700. They have enough mens with 7 but need one more women's and two more overall.
4. Sou Dak St-with their attendence numbers of 11,843 in 2012 and 12,105 in 2011 they dont meet the requierment. As if now the capacity is 15,000 but there is plans to push it over 20,000 and if they continue winning that should bring in more fans. They already have enough sports with 9 men's and 10 women's.
5. East Wash-some massive stadium renovations are needed to consider a move up but luckily they are in the works. Plans of anywhere from 15,000 to over 18,000 is in serious talks. Currently they sit 8,600 averaging 8,089 in 2012 and 8,899 in 2011. They also need to add at least one more men's and women's team and four more teams overall. They have a ways to go but I think they're finnaly trying to go in the right direction.
6. Cal Poly-they may have some issues with attendence. They average about 2500 under their capacity with 8,566 in 2012 8,770 in 2011. their capacity is 11,075 but they have plans to boost it to possibly 22,000. mabey they'er already planning on making a move and hoping that will fill those seats. they certanly already have winning tradition and deffenetly feild enough teams with 10 men's and 10 women's sports teams.
7. Idaho-with them becoming an indepndent after the disingration of the WAC, they would be a great candidate as a current FCS team to join the Leauge. Their only problem is that they are in jeopardy of not being able to stay in the FCS because of attendence issues. They averaged 12,582 in 2012 and 11,980 in 2011 even though the stadium seats 16,000. Obviously they have enough sports with 8 men's and 10 women's.
8. Nor Ari-these guys are the farthest stretch. Their attendence was 6,787 in 2012 and 6,277 in the 2011. That's with a stadium capacity of 11,230 and no expansion plans. thay actualy removed about 4000 seats a couple years back. they're also short one mens sport and 3 sports overall but they do have enough womens teams.
9. New Mex St-they thought their FBS status was in jeopardy but landed in the sun belt instead. Their attendence numbers arn't bad at 14,247 in 2012 and 15,138 in 2011. The downside is thats leaving the 30,343 seat stadium half empty. Logisticly them and NAU would not be a good fit but they would at least bring a little FBS cred to the conference albeit not much. There not really a good fit for the sun belt either. Team wise their ready with 6 men's and 10 women's.

If we could also get a couple of proven FBS schools to defect then I would like to see-
10. Boise St-obviously I would like them back for the rivalry and they add an instant FBS bowl game threat to the leauge and an increase in strength of scheduel. Attendence is not an issue with 35,404 in 2012 and 34,018 in 2011 with a capacity of 37,000. Team wise they're also ready with 7 men's and 11 women's teams.
11. Nevada-same reasoning here as Boise. Their attendence could be a little better but it's still good enough at 23,432 in 2012 and 15,776 in 2011 which shows a lot of improvement. The capacity is 29,993 so they could still fill more seats. Of course they have enough teams with 6 men's and 10 women's.

I would prefer only nine teams so each team could scheduel eight conference games and four out if conference. That would give more opportunity to strengthen any of the teams scheduel and still leave room for a cup cake if they wanted one. My top nine would be-
1. Montana
2. Montana State
3. North Dakota State
4. South Dakota State
5. Eastern Washington
6. Cal Poly
7. Boise State
8. Nevada
9. Idaho
This group gives us the top tier of the Big Sky, the other two best teams from the FCS in our region and three FBS teams to beef us up some. Givin two years and this would be a very competitive conference.

First problem is that the name Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference is already taken by the D-2 schools in Colorado (i.e Fort Lewis, Western State, Mines)

I thought the tread was for the 5 big BCS divisions (ie PAC12, SEC etc) to make their own league (DIV4) In order to protect their status and thus TV contracts. Relegating the rest of the schools to Div 1.

If this is the case then I would like to see ALL of the non-Pac 12, DIV1 teams west of the Mississippi form a 4 conference super league. Group the team regionally (North, South, West and Texas) As long a each of the conferences stay under 8 teams you can squeeze in the typical round robin format and a league playoffs within 11 games. The top two team from each conference would play for the western league title, with the other team playing in a consolidation brackets to round out their schedules. The top two team would get auto bids to the national playoffs. Perhaps the winner of the consolidation round would also get a auto bid, with how big the league would be.

That will create 3 championships (conference, league and national) to vie for each year!! lots of fun. Even the teams with losing conference records would get a playoff experience in the consolidation brackets.

As long as they play a playoff system I like this idea. I'm not a fan of Bowl games. The Doritos Bowl and Pizza Hut Bowl and other names just sound silly to me.

NLGrizFan said:
As long as they play a playoff system I like this idea. I'm not a fan of Bowl games. The Doritos Bowl and Pizza Hut Bowl and other names just sound silly to me.

There are no bowl games called that....

Griz!ron said:
I thought the tread was for the 5 big BCS divisions (ie PAC12, SEC etc) to make their own league (DIV4) In order to protect their status and thus TV contracts. Relegating the rest of the schools to Div 1.

If this is the case then I would like to see ALL of the non-Pac 12, DIV1 teams west of the Mississippi form a 4 conference super league. Group the team regionally (North, South, West and Texas) As long a each of the conferences stay under 8 teams you can squeeze in the typical round robin format and a league playoffs within 11 games. The top two team from each conference would play for the western league title, with the other team playing in a consolidation brackets to round out their schedules. The top two team would get auto bids to the national playoffs. Perhaps the winner of the consolidation round would also get a auto bid, with how big the league would be.

That will create 3 championships (conference, league and national) to vie for each year!! lots of fun. Even the teams with losing conference records would get a playoff experience in the consolidation brackets.
I'm guessing your thoughts are closer to reality then mine. I see one day the big 5 forming their own Leauge leaving the rest of 1-A and any 1-AA teams to join their own Leauge. Mines really just food for thought but I guess I need to think of a new conference name. How about the World Decimation Coalition. Make the name as much a fantasy as the Leauge would be.

If we could ever be in a division that had a playoff and was...

1-Montana
2- msu
3- Wyoming
4- Idaho
5- EWU
6-10 five teams from CSU, Air Force, Utah, Weber, Utah St., Nevada, UNLV & WSU.

I think ALL Griz fans would "move up"

Not such a stretch, if the big six conf. keep acting like they are...

Shoot add all of the above and Fresno, San Jose St and San Diego State and have a two division 16 team conf...

*** Note I left all Pac schools except WSU off, also BYU and Boise are snobish and would never consider this.***

A Dream Scenario...

NORTH
1-Montana
2- msu
3- Wyoming
4- CSU
5- Idaho
6- EWU
7- Air Force
8- WSU

SOUTH
1-Utah
2- Utah St.
3- Weber
4- Nevada
5- UNLV
6- Fresno
7- San Jose St.
8- San Diego St.

grizcountry420 said:
NLGrizFan said:

There are no bowl games called that....
Probably not but that's not my point.

I'm sure Utah and WSU are just itching to pass up that PAC12 TV money and that BSU, Nevada and the other Mountain West progams would target a group of FCS programs for expansion. Change ideas are good; just try to keep them real.

Also unless the WAC franchise could be kept alive (one more year, I believe) the NCAA is not about to creat any new FBS conferences.

Paytonlives said:
A Dream Scenario...

NORTH
1-Montana
2- msu
3- Wyoming
4- CSU
5- Idaho
6- EWU
7- Air Force
8- WSU

SOUTH
1-Utah
2- Utah St.
3- Weber
4- Nevada
5- UNLV
6- Fresno
7- San Jose St.
8- San Diego St.

What possible incentive is there for MWC teams to defect to a new, weaker conference?

Non BCS schools in western US:

Idaho
Boise State
Utah State
Nevada
UNLV
Colorado State
AFA
New Mexico
New Mexico State
San Diego State
San Jose State
Fresno State
Wyoming
Hawaii

Even if Montana and Montana State WERE ready to move up, the MWC would still have to agree to take in Idaho and NMSU, which they've made plainly clear they have no desire to do.

Given the implosion of the WAC, I see no viable alternative for Montana at this point, which is probably a good thing.

AZGrizFan said:
Paytonlives said:
A Dream Scenario...

NORTH
1-Montana
2- msu
3- Wyoming
4- CSU
5- Idaho
6- EWU
7- Air Force
8- WSU

SOUTH
1-Utah
2- Utah St.
3- Weber
4- Nevada
5- UNLV
6- Fresno
7- San Jose St.
8- San Diego St.

What possible incentive is there for MWC teams to defect to a new, weaker conference?
AZGrizFan said:
Paytonlives said:
A Dream Scenario...

NORTH
1-Montana
2- msu
3- Wyoming
4- CSU
5- Idaho
6- EWU
7- Air Force
8- WSU

SOUTH
1-Utah
2- Utah St.
3- Weber
4- Nevada
5- UNLV
6- Fresno
7- San Jose St.
8- San Diego St.

MWC? What about Utah and Washington State? LOL.

What if Montana got an invite to the MWC? It's pretty established and teams have drawn interest from the bigger conferences. Utah, TCU, Boise. I think we would deffenetly think about it alot harder then we did with the WAC invite.

This may be the goofiest move up thread ever!... Why would any MWC school seriously - or not so seriously - join up with a bunch of BSC defectors whose compensation for playing on ROOT doesn't even qualify as chump change. Is no one aware that each MWC member makes $1 million annually from their TV contracts alone :!: :?: What possible incentive would any self-respecting school have for buying into to this collective pipe dream? Forget facilities, increased staff, $20 plus million athletic budgets, etc...these half-baked mental meanderings don't even make it to DOA...

Montana is a miniature version of Nebraska, in that college sports are the biggest draw in the state. Montana has a statewide television audience of around a million and a solid fan base following of both programs, coupled with a deeply ingrained sentiment in state politics to keep the two programs on a level of parity. That there is support for both programs that could expand stadium seating capacity to accommodate FBS requirements. Throw in a rivalry with the Dakotas and I think you could attract the attention of a TV network or two for a new market.

That is what Montana and the Dakotas could bring to the table. I quit taking this thread with even a mild degree of interest when I saw WSU and then Utah mentioned. Think Montana and the Dakotas and throw in nearby traveling partners and you may have something lukewarm to consider.

TxGriz said:
Montana is a miniature version of Nebraska, in that college sports are the biggest draw in the state. Montana has a statewide television audience of around a million and a solid fan base following of both programs, coupled with a deeply ingrained sentiment in state politics to keep the two programs on a level of parity. That there is support for both programs that could expand stadium seating capacity to accommodate FBS requirements. Throw in a rivalry with the Dakotas and I think you could attract the attention of a TV network or two for a new market.

That is what Montana and the Dakotas could bring to the table. I quit taking this thread with even a mild degree of interest when I saw WSU and then Utah mentioned. Think Montana and the Dakotas and throw in nearby traveling partners and you may have something lukewarm to consider.

Have you checked the makeup of our legislature lately? Forget funding for this idea. We can't even get Medicaid expanded in the state - yet alone throw millions into a hypothetical move up league. Just is not going to happen. I am not saying your argument is illogical, just not realistic with the politics of the state.

Latest posts

Back