• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The lesser publicized consequences of making the move

Silvertip

The time will come for UM to think about a future beyond life in the dog house...

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_23746098/colorado-universities-want-drive-new-revenue-athletic-success" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there would be a lot of interest list if the Griz were to play in some no name bowl game. The fans wanna see playoffs not bowls.

In the long term future of UM the diminishing value of "the playoffs" aren't worth a bucket of warm spit...

Lets compare apples to apples here people. Do we really need to discuss the population base and money differences between Boise and Montana again??

No, but then you're missing the point. Boise State is only an example - albeit a great one. There are other schools that having raised their national profile through athletics have seen the success extend to upgraded student recruitment, increased money for research and general funding of academics. Take another listen to the video comments of the Georgia Southern president and his reasons for raising his school's image by associating with its peers . Like BSU's Bon Kustra, he gets it...Too few in MT do... :roll:

I don't care if we have to play NAIA in the playoffs as Lon as there is a playoff. Or some douches in their ivory castles can decide who gets to play to be the best and well never be there. Boise never will be either no matter how good they're still a crap school from a crap conference. If we move up that's exactly what we'll be.

What's wrong with better exposure? If UM moved up people from different areas would make a trip to Missoula. Most likely these other schools would have a better traveling fan base. That brings in more money to Missoula and the University. Also if one of these visitors is a business owner they may see the area and think, "this town would make for a great satellite location" again something that could bring more money into Missoula. Would this happen? We do not know because we have not tried!

Oh God, please not this crap topic again. This thing has been poked, prodded, debated, regurgitated, and discussed ad nauseam. Like a damn dog chasing his tail. Who is correct? Only time will tell and until then we play in the BSC. Deal with it.

Please tell me this isn't going to effect Tate Forcier's decision to come to U of M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrgonGriz said:
What's wrong with better exposure? If UM moved up people from different areas would make a trip to Missoula. Most likely these other schools would have a better traveling fan base. That brings in more money to Missoula and the University. Also if one of these visitors is a business owner they may see the area and think, "this town would make for a great satellite location" again something that could bring more money into Missoula. Would this happen? We do not know because we have not tried!
So, basically you are saying that the visitors are going to show up for games in Missoula. That is fine, but since the stadium is notoriously sold out each season, where will they gather to watch the game? A major remodel of the stadium might not go over so well with students, or anyone else....Face it, UM is limited by money, population, and purpose. What they have now up there works...

GrizLA said:
That is fine, but since the stadium is notoriously sold out each season, where will they gather to watch the game?
But that is the beauty of the plan... The Griz will start losing due to tougher competition and the fair weather fans (you know, the ones who don't like to stand the whole game) will drop like flies. There will be PLENTY of seats for visitors.

I'm mystified why you guys expend so much energy on this topic. Everbody knows: a) you're not going anywhere because you have nowhere to go; and b) if the Mountain West changes its mind and offers you a slot, you're gone in a heartbeat. Everything else is just killing time.

BF, welcome to the board!

But if you're mystified by this, you're really gonna enjoy most of the threads on here!! :thumb: :lol:

bengalfan said:
I'm mystified why you guys expend so much energy on this topic. Everbody knows: a) you're not going anywhere because you have nowhere to go; and b) if the Mountain West changes its mind and offers you a slot, you're gone in a heartbeat. Everything else is just killing time.

This is pretty much my opinion as well. I do believe its a good idea to see how things shake out with the big boys before putting too much attention towards the topic!

GoosetownGriz said:
Please tell me this isn't going to effect Tate Forcier's decision to come to U of M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is taking practice snaps in the basement, along with Otto Graham's Great Grandson x's 20. :thumb:

Considering that the subject line says what the thread is about were those voicing their disapproval with it drugged, kidnapped, blindfolded and brought here against their will? Which reminds me of a joke...

Q: Would anybody hang onto a boring, unchallenging job with no future just for their cheapskate bosses' year end Christmas party with the promise of half price Cheetos and Kool-Aid?

A: Yeah. The same egrizers who think the only thing worthwhile about college football are...tuh da
(drum roll please) THE FCS PLAYOFFS...new and improved for 2013 with feel good certificates for
all of the 23 disappointed non-champions :coffee:

Silvertip said:
Considering that the subject line says what the thread is about were those voicing their disapproval with it drugged, kidnapped, blindfolded and brought here against their will? Which reminds me of a joke...

Q: Would anybody hang onto a boring, unchallenging job with no future just for their cheapskate bosses' year end Christmas party with the promise of half price Cheetos and Kool-Aid?

A: Yeah. The same egrizers who think the only thing worthwhile about college football are...tuh da
(drum roll please) THE FCS PLAYOFFS...new and improved for 2013 with feel good certificates for
all of the 23 disappointed non-champions :coffee:
Don't take my argument like that. All I want is playoffs with a legitimate chance to compete for a championship. The champion is the best and that's all there is to it. IF we go FBS unless by some glaring flaw in reasoning the PAC 12 or 16 or 34 or whatever the hell it is lets us in we will never ever have a shot at a championship. Bowl games blow hard core. All I want is a shot. Playoffs rock, you never know what is going to happen and you're playing for something, not just the northwest south southern arena potato bowl trophy. If college football as a whole were to totally redo the setup I don't care where we end up. As it is now, it doesn't matter if you're Boise State or University of Texas San Antonio. You will not get a shot. You are not one of the big boys and they will do everything in their power to keep you out. I love the playoffs and that's all there is to it. Again, don't care if it's NAIA D3 D2 or FCS, I want a shot at a championship.

dupuyer griz said:
I don't care if we have to play NAIA in the playoffs as Lon as there is a playoff. Or some douches in their ivory castles can decide who gets to play to be the best and well never be there. Boise never will be either no matter how good they're still a crap school from a crap conference. If we move up that's exactly what we'll be.

Dupuyer Griz:

I respect your opinion on keeping UM in the FCS but come on! Did you just call Boise State a crap school from a crap conference? Like three quarters of the Griz fan base wouldn't want UM to change places with Boise State if they had the opportunity. Get real. I understand the financial risk argument of wanting to stay FCS but I just can't wrap my head around this desire to be a "shiny star in a sea of mud" year in and year out. It's a lower level of competition for God 's sake! Maybe the University of Washington can join the BSC/ FCS. Maybe their alumni would be happier at having a better chance of winning a National Title every year. Some fans just want The Bar set a little higher.

Back