• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Griz only lost by 5...

NLGrizFan

... to the #3 team in the Entire Nation. And a penalty costed them the game. It's not as if the Griz rack up penalties every game. A game got away from them. It happens. And in the last two games they had to play catch up instead of jumping on top of them and not letting them up. The Griz let them up and they took off... Til the 4th quarter. Take away the penalty and they tore them a new asshole 28-0. But it didn't go down that way cuz a hand got 4" to high. Don't forget, we're talking about the #3 team in the nation, that carries the #1 passer in the nation and the Griz hung with them and put it to them in "throw down" time. I'm gonna stick to the NAU game as a wtf game because it happened in 2011 and we all remember that team. 2012 coulda been a totally different season with JJ. I say throw the 2012 stats out the window. The Griz were playing with an arm tied behind their back.
Over the last 4 games JJ stats:

EWU: Final 37-42
26/44, 349 yds & 4 TDs

CP: Final 21-14
22/39, 242 yds & 2 TDs

UCD: Final 42-7
12/20, 163 yds & 2 TDs

PSU: Final 55-27
12/24, 203 yds & 4 TDs

Now I could sit here all day and I can't see a pattern. The Griz aren't prone to penalties or turnovers. Maybe there isn't any patterns.

This isn't a bad team. When they bare their teeth and get after it they can tear teams up. I'm convinced it was a rare penalty that cost the game. Say what you will but 5 points against the #3 team isn't bad, and a costly penalty is what I'm sticking to.

To me it wasn't the losing by 5 that bothers me....it's the getting down by 25 in the 2nd half that bothers me that NECESSITATES a miracle comeback like that...

AZGrizFan said:
To me it wasn't the losing by 5 that bothers me....it's the getting down by 25 in the 2nd half that bothers me that NECESSITATES a miracle comeback like that...
Yeah that was ridiculous. Seems that they were so damn stubborn with their original game plan that wasn't working and seemed as if they didn't have a Plan B. Or maybe that was Plan B but engaged it to late. Still stupid no matter how it went down. Yeah Canada broke free once for a 28 yard TD but not much happened after that with the run attack.

NLGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Yeah that was ridiculous. Seems that they were so damn stubborn with their original game plan that wasn't working and seemed as if they didn't have a Plan B. Or maybe that was Plan B but engaged it to late. Still stupid no matter how it went down. Yeah Canada broke free once for a 28 yard TD but not much happened after that with the run attack.

The easiest way to keep defenses honest is to mix up the Gameplan... :cool:

It's Wednesday, game is over, we lost, now time to focus on the four games we have left and what we need to do to win those, and what changes are neccessary to make this team competitive when the playoffs roll around. As we all know, "we only lost by 5, we're still a good team" doesn't do you much good in December. :twocents:

get'em_griz said:
NLGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Wrong

The easiest way to keep defenses honest is to execute the plays you are given to run.

We haven't been doing that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

get'em_griz said:
NLGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

:thumb: How do we tell MD and his staff this? Cuz they seem to not know this. :lol:

Good summary and analysis.

What "bothered" me during the game, and what is clear now with all of the good discussion that has occurred in various threads, is the number of missed opportunities (as well as some mistakes) by UM, and the number of times EWU made/won important plays. While UM had opportunities to win the game, my view is that EWU "won" the game with its multiple good plays in the first 3 quarters. Obviously, UM won the 4th quarter, and that was more because UM won more of the important plays--than because EWU relaxed.

I'm generally a believer that players are more important in making plays and winning games, than coaches, but, of course, coaches have to have good game plans and put the team in position to make the plays and win. While I don't know, I assume the coaches would admit that they could have planned for or done some things better. Nevertheless, I can't imagine that it is correct to say that the coaches lost the game, or were completely out coached.

From what I have said above, one can come up with several different conclusions. The team just isn't that good this year, and isn't going to win big games. I don't believe that is the case. The team has to keep improving and be able to make/win more of the big plays, not get themselves in such deep holes as they have in their 2 losses, and find ways to win these games. This is where I am at this point. SS on the road will be a big test. UM needs to have a good game. Or, one can say the coaches are not good enough to put the team in position to win big/tough games. I don't believe this is the case.

Only time will tell. Go Griz! Beat Sac!

PlayerRep said:

What "bothered" me during the game, and what is clear now with all of the good discussion that has occurred in various threads, is the number of missed opportunities (as well as some mistakes) by UM, and the number of times EWU made/won important plays. While UM had opportunities to win the game, my view is that EWU "won" the game with its multiple good plays in the first 3 quarters. Obviously, UM won the 4th quarter, and that was more because UM won more of the important plays--than because EWU relaxed.

I'm generally a believer that players are more important in making plays and winning games, than coaches, but, of course, coaches have to have good game plans and put the team in position to make the plays and win. While I don't know, I assume the coaches would admit that they could have planned for or done some things better. Nevertheless, I can't imagine that it is correct to say that the coaches lost the game, or were completely out coached.

From what I have said above, one can come up with several different conclusions. The team just isn't that good this year, and isn't going to win big games. I don't believe that is the case. The team has to keep improving and be able to make/win more of the big plays, not get themselves in such deep holes as they have in their 2 losses, and find ways to win these games. This is where I am at this point. SS on the road will be a big test. UM needs to have a good game. Or, one can say the coaches are not good enough to put the team in position to win big/tough games. I don't believe this is the case.

With proper execution by the players one should expect a first down on a 3rd and 13 draw play on a 2nd half scoring opportunity drive in EWU territory. I suppose....with the consistent success the running game had shown....

PlayerRep said:

Big plays in the EWU passing game were critical in the first 3 quarters. EWU was able to exploit the mismatches of their WR's and the Griz DB's. Didn't 't EWU only have 20 yards rushing in the first half? A lot of "jump balls" won by EWU WR 's too.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
get'em_griz said:
NLGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Wrong

The easiest way to keep defenses honest is to execute the plays you are given to run.

Myself, I'd have to say both of you are right. Mix it up and execute the plays will hold anyone down and keep them in check. :twocents:

Htowngriz said:
It's Wednesday, game is over, we lost, now time to focus on the four games we have left and what we need to do to win those, and what changes are neccessary to make this team competitive when the playoffs roll around. As we all know, "we only lost by 5, we're still a good team" doesn't do you much good in December. :twocents:
I think you're right. I shoulda never brought it up. I seen quite a few negative posts and thought I'd try to toss up something more positive for all to feed on going into this weekend. Mistakes were made. Bring on Sac State!! GO GRIZ!!!

PlayerRep said:

Very true! We'll find out soon enough. GO GRIZ!

NLGrizFan said:
... to the #3 team in the Entire Nation. And a penalty costed them the game. It's not as if the Griz rack up penalties every game. A game got away from them. It happens. And in the last two games they had to play catch up instead of jumping on top of them and not letting them up. The Griz let them up and they took off... Til the 4th quarter. Take away the penalty and they tore them a new asshole 28-0. But it didn't go down that way cuz a hand got 4" to high. Don't forget, we're talking about the #3 team in the nation, that carries the #1 passer in the nation and the Griz hung with them and put it to them in "throw down" time. I'm gonna stick to the NAU game as a wtf game because it happened in 2011 and we all remember that team. 2012 coulda been a totally different season with JJ. I say throw the 2012 stats out the window. The Griz were playing with an arm tied behind their back.

26/44, 349 yds & 4 TDs

22/39, 242 yds & 2 TDs

12/20, 163 yds & 2 TDs

12/24, 203 yds & 4 TDs

Now I could sit here all day and I can't see a pattern. The Griz aren't prone to penalties or turnovers. Maybe there isn't any patterns.

This isn't a bad team. When they bare their teeth and get after it they can tear teams up. I'm convinced it was a rare penalty that cost the game. Say what you will but 5 points against the #3 team isn't bad, and a costly penalty is what I'm sticking to.

I agree with a lot of your post, however, there is no way that one penalty is what cost the Griz the game. It certainly did not help matters but there were multiple factors that cost them the game. The fumble that led to a third down TD being one reason but that alone did not cost them the game either, it was more than those two plays.

IMO it was a combination of mistakes and missed opportunities along with some piss poor play calling and/or execution. An offensive coach that calls a draw on 3rd and 13 while another coach who had been aggressive all season long gets confused and thinks it's 4th and 8 instead of 4th and short so he sends on a kicker he has already proven he lacks confidence in. We all know what play they would have ran if they did go for it anyway so EWU would have probably had a good idea too.

1Griz_Fan said:
NLGrizFan said:

26/44, 349 yds & 4 TDs

22/39, 242 yds & 2 TDs

12/20, 163 yds & 2 TDs

12/24, 203 yds & 4 TDs

I agree with a lot of your post, however, there is no way that one penalty is what cost the Griz the game. It certainly did not help matters but there were multiple factors that cost them the game. The fumble that led to a third down TD being one reason but that alone did not cost them the game either, it was more than those two plays.

IMO it was a combination of mistakes and missed opportunities along with some piss poor play calling and/or execution. An offensive coach that calls a draw on 3rd and 13 while another coach who had been aggressive all season long gets confused and thinks it's 4th and 8 instead of 4th and short so he sends on a kicker he has already proven he lacks confidence in. We all know what play they would have ran if they did go for it anyway so EWU would have probably had a good idea too.
I can see your point, crystal clear. All I was looking at was how they came alive in the 4th quarter and with the limited time left the TD that was called back had turned into a missed FG (I think). With the points running up that quick and EWU not reacting or not being able to react is how I am looking at it. Yes lots of mistakes made throughout the game but the 4th quarter was almost flawless. Well, maybe flawless is to much but the D played well, the O was doing very nice, the scoreboard was evolving, seemed that they coulda pulled it off without that penalty. The score could have been 44-42 Griz. But after the penalty/TD ordeal things woulda changed. I would have to guess. The Griz probably wouldn't have went for 2 and just kicked the PAT but even if that was the case it woulda been 45-42. Going off of if the rest of the game played out the way it did. Wasn't it a reporter that messed up MD's quote on the 4th & 8 tho? I thought that was cleared up on a different thread.

The final margin is, in my opinion, "fools gold". When a team gets so far ahead it is human nature to let down a little. Although EWU continued to pass, they were not as aggressive as earlier in the game. Also on defense they were playing more conservatively which allowed UM to move the ball better. The momentum switched to the Griz and it is difficult for the other team to "turn it back on". The fact that the Griz continued to play hard is encouraging and shows a lot of character. However, the first three quarters were dominated by EWU, especially on both lines of scrimmage. The final margin was only five points, but it would be difficult to argue that EWU is not 14 points better than the Griz.

The fact of the matter is we lost to a very good team. ewu earned the win and we have to lick our wounds. There is a lot we will take from this game. The players and coaches have looked at the film and will address the issues that need to be dealt with. The only problem I have is this late in the season why are we addressing things like blocking and tackling. We can make scheme adjustments and change game plans but fundamentals should come fairly natural. The Griz have a very good football team but we cannot afford anymore "but we only lost by 5." The fact is we lost. Moving on..............
Go Griz!!

Rooster said:
The final margin is, in my opinion, "fools gold". When a team gets so far ahead it is human nature to let down a little. Although EWU continued to pass, they were not as aggressive as earlier in the game. Also on defense they were playing more conservatively which allowed UM to move the ball better. The momentum switched to the Griz and it is difficult for the other team to "turn it back on". The fact that the Griz continued to play hard is encouraging and shows a lot of character. However, the first three quarters were dominated by EWU, especially on both lines of scrimmage. The final margin was only five points, but it would be difficult to argue that EWU is not 14 points better than the Griz.
Yeah, they got beat in the first 3 quarters of the game, no doubt about that. I'm gonna quit bringing up the woulda shoulda coulda score and penalty because it won't change the fact that the Griz are 6-2. Not bad tho. The 2011 team was 6-2 at this point but they also played an SEC team. As far as the 14 point margin goes tho... Statistically it was a 1 point spread in the Griz's favor. Statistically.

Sorry bout the small image. Still tryin to figure out this iPhone.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
get'em_griz said:
NLGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Wrong

WRONG

The easiest way to keep defenses honest is to RUN PLAYS THAT THE DEFENSE DOESN'T KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO RUN.

If the coaches don't matter, someone explain ohio state to me. Struggling team, new staff...and scadoosh! Unbeaten in two years.

Back