• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Griz Hangover: Is it Real?

grizfan95

It's been mentioned in a number of threads that teams consistently get up for playing the Griz and then see a let down the following week. Some have even said it is a big reason why they believe the Cats will beat NAU this weekend, so I did a little research.

Since the start of the 2010 season, excluding DII and FBS teams, teams are 8-24 in their game directly after playing the Griz. Also, every team the Griz played in 2010 lost the week after playing the Griz.

UM has a target on its back whether you like it or not and the team needs to start playing to respect that target.

i can't dispute those numbers, but in many cases it would happen after any emotional game. it's just been the case that for years, most of the big sky sees the griz as IT'S emotional game.

but in the case of this coming weekend i believe MSU would beat NAU in Bozeman regardless of how things turned out last week in Flagstaff.

havgrizfan said:
i can't dispute those numbers, but in many cases it would happen after any emotional game. it's just been the case that for years, most of the big sky sees the griz as IT'S emotional game.

but in the case of this coming weekend i believe MSU would beat NAU in Bozeman regardless of how things turned out last week in Flagstaff.

The Griz hangover is normally a loss that follows a loss to the Griz, i.e. in your last para. NAU will likely suffer the double Griz hangover, due to the effort put into preparing for the Griz, the outstanding play during the game, and the excitement of being the Griz. I don't necessary think the Cats will crush NAU, as some are saying, but I believe the Cats have a good chance of beating NAU--in part because of the hangover. Like you said, it's the emotional aspect.

grizfan95 said:
It's been mentioned in a number of threads that teams consistently get up for playing the Griz and then see a let down the following week. Some have even said it is a big reason why they believe the Cats will beat NAU this weekend, so I did a little research.

Since the start of the 2010 season, excluding DII and FBS teams, teams are 8-24 in their game directly after playing the Griz. Also, every team the Griz played in 2010 lost the week after playing the Griz.

UM has a target on its back whether you like it or not and the team needs to start playing to respect that target.

I did some research a couple weeks ago to dispute a point made by Cap'n Cat on cs.com....went all the way back to 2008 and there is no doubt the hangover is real. Even in our DOWN year last year teams were <.500 in the week following their Griz game. Even when we suck we're everybody's Super Bowl. :lol:

Oh, and this year? 0-3. :thumb:

I thought this was a thread about how the Griz still had a hangover on Saturday from their Thursday night social. Based upon the way they played, of course........

PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:

The Griz hangover is normally a loss that follows a loss to the Griz, i.e. in your last para. NAU will likely suffer the double Griz hangover, due to the effort put into preparing for the Griz, the outstanding play during the game, and the excitement of being the Griz. I don't necessary think the Cats will crush NAU, as some are saying, but I believe the Cats have a good chance of beating NAU--in part because of the hangover. Like you said, it's the emotional aspect.

Holy sh!t! I agree with you..

:cool:

Have any stats on what the Cat winning percentage is on the many weeks they follow the Griz?

grizfan95 said:

Does this mean that the Griz had a Pancake State hangover?

grizpack said:
I thought this was a thread about how the Griz still had a hangover on Saturday from their Thursday night social. Based upon the way they played, of course........
I'm a Griz and I am hungover today...........ugh

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

Back