• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The GF Tribune takes the Cats over the Griz

silvertipgriz

I hate this newspaper.....it's one continuous insult after another..........I REALLY want to make these two clowns eat their predictions.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/stories/20031120/localsports/673900.html

Silvertip,

There is rarely objectivity in news reporting. Reporters have a forum that assumes their opinion is the definitive reality. Fortunately, we go ahead and play the game. 17-1 is the best revenge.

GO GRIZ!!!

There are more people in Montana than you think that are neutral observers and tend to root for the underdog.

This includes writers. Not everyone is just a Cat fan or Griz fan. Heck I know many people right in Missoula that don't even follow the Griz or the Cats. They don't even watch the game. Can you believe it?

lshaneg said:
Silvertip,

There is rarely objectivity in news reporting. Reporters have a forum that assumes their opinion is the definitive reality. Fortunately, we go ahead and play the game. 17-1 is the best revenge.

GO GRIZ!!!

Here's an article that somewhat speaks to this problem. Even though Great Falls isn't 'hometown' for the 'Cats, I think some of the issues of this report are surfacing here. For my part, I subscribe to the Bozeman Chomicle...the Griz only make the front page of the sports when they lose.

http://theonion.com/3945/news1.html

silvertipgriz, you need to get your facts straight. Scott Mansh covers the Bobcats and George Geise covers the Griz. Geise picked the Griz to win and Mansch picked the Bobcats. They always do that. I have NEVER seen a bias towards the Bobcats, and no, I don't work for the Tribune. I think they give a very balanced reporting of both schools. Try reading the article again without a chip on your shoulder.

ronbo said:
There are more people in Montana than you think that are neutral observers and tend to root for the underdog.

This includes writers. Not everyone is just a Cat fan or Griz fan. Heck I know many people right in Missoula that don't even follow the Griz or the Cats. They don't even watch the game. Can you believe it?

Two explanations for that........ Either they did not grow up in MT..... or they are not football fans and don't watch any football they don't have to. :wink:

Did anyone else notice the funniest thing about this article:
A RED-HOT Scott Mansch picked up another game on his prediction pal George Geise last week and is now within one game of the lead in this little contest.

For the second week in a row, Scott batted 1.000 by correctly forecasting victories for Weber State, Idaho State and Northern Arizona/

George missed the Idaho State game, and is 24-9 on the season. Scott is 23-10.

So to summarize:
Geise has one more win than Mansch.
Mansch is one game away from a TIE with Geise. Put differently, Mansch is one game away from sharing the lead with Geise in this contest.
But if you notice, the way he reports it is that him getting into a TIE for the lead = him being in the lead.
Not unlike having tied for a championship = being the defending champ, even when playing one of the other co-champs, if you're a Catfan.

I thought that school was supposed to excel at math...

GTFllsFan - I read it on the internet too, and that makes it look like they both picked the Cats. Maybe it got messed up when it was posted.

silvertipgriz, you need to get your facts straight. Scott Mansh covers the Bobcats and George Geise covers the Griz. Geise picked the
Griz to win and Mansch picked the Bobcats. They always do that. I have NEVER seen a bias towards the Bobcats, and no, I don't work
for the Tribune. I think they give a very balanced reporting of both schools. Try reading the article again without a chip on your shoulder

I hesitate to go here but........the online article did appear to say that both reporters picked the Scats. Upon further investigation, reading the paper, I see Geise did in fact pick the griz to win by three......my faux pas. They do not "AWAYS" do that.
Mansch....IS PRO CAT.....period....if you can't see it, change out those politically correct rose colored glasses. Geise is whatever he is.....
As for a chip on my shoulder......when it comes to Griz football....it's WAY BIGGER than a chip!!! GO GRIZZZZZZ!!!!!

silvertipgriz, sorry to sound so erragant about it. I had no idea that it posted differently on the web. You are right, Mansch is pro-cat because he covers them every week. Or should I say, as "pro" as a journalist can be. Don't get me wrong, I am not a journalist either, but I have learned to expect a positive spin on his stories, as I have to expect a good article out of Giese on the Griz since he covers them.

I don't think there is a grand conspiracy to be pro-Cat or pro-Griz by the Trib. I anctually think they do a good job covering both teams. I hear the same thing about the Bison and Rustlers. Since I like both teams I do not see any bias one way or the other.

PS, we don't need the "chip" or the attitude, we have the team and the record. We can act like we have been there before, and have.

Ohhh Booo Hoooo, a sports writer is picking against the Griz. Cry your eyes out. I find it very nice that some sports writers actually realize that the Cats ARE damn good this year and have the guts to go against the bandwagonners (GRIZ FANS) in the state and put it on the line.

But you can keep logging into EGRIZ and patting each other on the back to each other how good your Griz team is.

I LIKE OUR CHANCES.

GRIZ FANS: MEET JEFF BOLTON

WILDCAT said:
Ohhh Booo Hoooo, a sports writer is picking against the Griz. Cry your eyes out. I find it very nice that some sports writers actually realize that the Cats ARE damn good this year and have the guts to go against the bandwagonners (GRIZ FANS) in the state and put it on the line.

But you can keep logging into EGRIZ and patting each other on the back to each other how good your Griz team is.

I LIKE OUR CHANCES.

GRIZ FANS: MEET JEFF BOLTON

Sure, the cats are ONE game away from being a .500 club. They are pretty darn good :roll: .

GtFllsFan said:
silvertipgriz, you need to get your facts straight. Scott Mansh covers the Bobcats and George Geise covers the Griz. Geise picked the Griz to win and Mansch picked the Bobcats. They always do that. I have NEVER seen a bias towards the Bobcats, and no, I don't work for the Tribune. I think they give a very balanced reporting of both schools. Try reading the article again without a chip on your shoulder.

You know, it wasn't that long ago that Scott Manch was the host of a Web site for MSU Bobcat fans. I don't know how much more bias a writer could show for the team he covers. Scott is also brother in-law to MSU's sports information director. He shouldn't be in Bozeman on Saturdays. Two years ago, when the AP asked Manch to take the initiative on reporting about Mick Durham's racial remarks to the New York Times, Manch refused because he personally believed it couldn't be so. I could go on for a while, but I really don't need to reveal myself on this board.
On the flip side, George Geise is just as pro Griz as Manch is pro Cat, which doesn't exactly create objectivity in their news room. I've read Geise articles after a Griz loss in which he sounded personally offended that the Griz lost. George used to cherry pick the best sports assignments on the trib sports desk. A scratch golfer known for covering tournaments in which he also plays, George would probably switch to the cats if they were ever hot and he could talk Scott out of missing a Saturday in Bozeman with his sister.
THESE GUYS ARE BIG TIME HOMERS. It doesn't make the situation any better if Scott picks his team and George picks his. They should stick to the bison and the rustlers.
But hey, it's Montana urinalism at its best.

I'm loving this! Griz fans squirming over a newspaper article. I think you guys/gals are really scared of this game. I bet you have that look on your face some of the older Griz fans had on their face after the game last year. Looked like they had just been kicked in the nads :) , but in fact they hadn't! It was their football team that had been! And in their own magnificent stadium! What a moment! :lol:

And for those of you who say I have been bad smack posting. GoodGodGriz is the one who said that it was all fair game this week(take a look at some of his posts). I know its different than the years before where you all just discussed how good the Griz were back and forth and back and forth and back and forth bla bla bla. But there is a new sheriff in town and his nickname is BOBCAT! At leat you won't have to go into hibernation just yet, you guys played a damn easy preseason schedule so I do give kudos to your Athletic director for setting that up for you. So you'll at least get to go limping into the playoffs.

I LIKE OUR CHANCES!

GRIZ FANS: MEET JASON GOODMAN

I ain't squirmin' I think it's finally proof that the wind blows hard enough in Great Falls that if your not careful it will blow your brains out.

Easier schedule according to who??? You wildcat? Most of the IAA wouldn't think so. You should look on the internet for crow recipies. You'll be eating it Saturday afternoon.

WILDCAT said:
But there is a new sheriff in town and his nickname is BOBCAT!

That might be the most stupid thing I have EVER read on the internet.

And that is saying a lot....'cause your mom emails me frequently. :wink:

WILDCAT said:
I think you guys/gals are really scared of this game.
The only thing I'm scared of is having some of your stupidity rub off on me when I read your ignorant posts.

WILDCAT said:
But there is a new sheriff in town and his nickname is BOBCAT!
Case in point, I think my IQ just dropped a couple points after reading that sentence.

WILDCAT said:
We know Jason Goodman. He was the kid who wasn't good enough to play TE for the Griz, so he decided to play for the Cats where he was instantly declared program's savior.

WILDCAT said:
I'm loving this! Griz fans squirming over a newspaper article. I think you guys/gals are really scared of this game. I bet you have that look on your face some of the older Griz fans had on their face after the game last year. Looked like they had just been kicked in the nads :) , but in fact they hadn't! It was their football team that had been! And in their own magnificent stadium! What a moment! :lol:

And for those of you who say I have been bad smack posting. GoodGodGriz is the one who said that it was all fair game this week(take a look at some of his posts). I know its different than the years before where you all just discussed how good the Griz were back and forth and back and forth and back and forth bla bla bla. But there is a new sheriff in town and his nickname is BOBCAT! At leat you won't have to go into hibernation just yet, you guys played a damn easy preseason schedule so I do give kudos to your Athletic director for setting that up for you. So you'll at least get to go limping into the playoffs.

I LIKE OUR CHANCES!

Be sure and come on back to the board after we spank the kittens!

Back