• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Down Side of Being a Head Basketball Coach

AllWeatherFan

DONOR
...is not getting to watch your own kids play.

Good luck to Tres Tinkle and the Hellgate Knights in Great Falls.

he should be fairly used to not being able to see his kids play ball by now! Tres had a hell of a game, I did now know he had hops and was surprised to see him dunk. I probably shouldnt have been though. Even though he's a soph I'm surprised there isn't a thread on here about where he is going to go play college ball.

He isn't going to college. Straight to the NBA. It's ok though because we will just say we didn't want him anyways.

...tinkle will see thiz game...
...it'll juzt be a little later...
...with a beer and a banner...

... :cool: ...

grizonbob said:
Wonder how many more inches he'll grow
Yah, it's got to be a little tough when Wayne Tinkle is your Dad, to have to admit you "take after" your Mom.

It's nice to see that Hellgate can still buy a state boy's basketball title. J.R. Camel,anyone? How many of these kids live in the Hellgate district? Seriously. I don't know the answer, but would love to know. Obviously Tinkle doesn't. Open-enrollment affects basketball more than any sport. One kid can make a huge difference in b-ball more than most sports. It gives the parents ALL the power. "If my future-star kid doesn't start and play big minutes as a frosh, I'll transfer him". "Maybe all us local star kids should transfer to the same school to be a powerhouse." Is this really the best thing? I don't like this trend at all. In my day, you had pride to play for the neighborhood school, win or lose. You all grew up playing together. You HATED the other schools and wouldn't even think about going to the hated rivals. It's all about ME ME ME now.

Zirg said:
It's nice to see that Hellgate can still buy a state boy's basketball title. J.R. Camel,anyone? How many of these kids live in the Hellgate district? Seriously. I don't know the answer, but would love to know. Obviously Tinkle doesn't. Open-enrollment affects basketball more than any sport. One kid can make a huge difference in b-ball more than most sports. It gives the parents ALL the power. "If my future-star kid doesn't start and play big minutes as a frosh, I'll transfer him". "Maybe all us local star kids should transfer to the same school to be a powerhouse." Is this really the best thing? I don't like this trend at all. In my day, you had pride to play for the neighborhood school, win or lose. You all grew up playing together. You HATED the other schools and wouldn't even think about going to the hated rivals. It's all about ME ME ME now.
Completely agree. If these parents want to all pay for their kids to go to Loyola that's fine. Kids should not be able to choose which public high school they attend. If the going gets tough......just transfer. I don't like open enrollment either.

Being able to choose your school with no consequence is a huge advantage for missoula athletics. Are the sentinel girls players mostly from,sentinel district?

Most importantly, Congrats to the GRIZ, LADY GRIZ, Helgate, and the Tinkles for their championships.
I am praying the GRIZ, and LADY GRIZ win the conference tournaments too.

I don't believe people are upset about where kids go to school in Missoula. I don't recall people bitching when Sentinel was the school of choice for basketball. Helgate is now, and people are whining about it. Get some better coaches at the other schools, then the playing field is evened.

Any parent and player know how much better of a coach Hayes is. I too would want my son playing under him, compared to the other staffs. I am guessing the people who don't like it, are ones with Big Sky or Sentinel ties. Missoula area Little League has been weighed toward Mount Sentinel. Usually the powers to be are from the Mount Sentinel league carry more influence than rest the leagues.

Lay off the parents too. Parents with kids aspiring to earn scholarships, it is common for parents to want the coach that will develop their kids the best. Right now, the pendulum as swung to Helgate. Besides how many of us actually know 100% what went on at the other schools, or what conversations were had. My hats off to the parents that told their kid to accept where they are at, and where their loyalty would be. For those that allowed their child to transfer, I cannot blame them.

Is the current system right or wrong? Take that up with the powers to be, if you feel it needs changed pursue it in a civil manner collectively. In the meantime, no need to criticize these kids or families. They are not doing anything wrong. They are just doing what they feel is best for their children athletically.

wbtfg said:
Being able to choose your school with no consequence is a huge advantage for missoula athletics. Are the sentinel girls players mostly from,sentinel district?
In the Flathead kids go to Kalispell schools for sports and academics. Ever year kids from Bigfork Junior High go to high school at Flathead or Glacier because it offers a greater course selection. Sports is also an option for exposure and better competition. Glacier's guard Evan Epperly is from Woods Bay. Osweiler would have gone to Bigfork by area from Swan River Middle School, but opted to play for Flathead. In the past some Bigfork kids have even gone to Whitefish due to coaching concerns.

Zirg said:

They learned it from the best. Literally. Everyone sees how LeBron, et al want and need to go to a stacked team to win. Happens from the top on down. Not saying you have to like it, though.

A long but EXCELLENT piece on Tinks written by Bob Meseroll today.

http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/territory/tinkle-best-described-by-who-how-what-he-s-nurtured/article_4ec1444c-8834-11e2-bf63-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EverettGriz said:
A long but EXCELLENT piece on Tinks written by Bob Meseroll today.

http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/territory/tinkle-best-described-by-who-how-what-he-s-nurtured/article_4ec1444c-8834-11e2-bf63-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great article!! Not sure who wouldn't want to play under that guy!

I hope a certain reporter learns from this article. I almost did not click on it. I seen Meseroll wrote it, so that made it easier.

The last part of that article is so accurate. I was amazed how much time Wayne took for the fans after the game and cutting down the net. He did not turn down one fan, and even approached a few himself, that found themselves on the court or just off it enjoying the experience.

One can tell someone's word means the world to him. I told him after the CSU or UNC game this year, I would make sure I made it to Missoula if the GRIZ hosted this year. Around 5:30 he was watching his team warm up. I wished him luck, and congratulated him on winning the conference. He said you made it, glad to see you here. Like many fans, I stuck around after the game watching the team celebrate, and was even more amazed what his team, and the fans mean to that man.

We all know damn well he will be given plenty of offers with much better money. Selfishly, I hope he is the man that decides to be the GRIZ coach for a few decades. I just cannot see anyone else fitting the GRIZ Head Coaching job better than Wayne. No offense to any of the prior the coaches, but nobody represents this school and program better than Wayne, and his family.

Great post, Rule.

Wayne is not only a winning coach and a fantastic man, but he's a great ambassador for the University of Montana. And that is truly a very rare combination. I, too, hope he makes Missoula his lifelong home. Feel the love, Wayne. Feel the love!!

Missoula is open enrollment. Lots of non-athletes makes choice to attend school of their choice under this policy. End of story.

Rest of story......the Tinkle family is wonderful. They are successful, loving, and humble. Tres is an amazing talent. He has the "genes" but has also put in the work. He made the call to transfer to Hellgate and his parents suported it. His home is a long way from either Hellgate or Big Sky and it's likely a few minutes faster to Hellgate. His Dad works 5 blocks from Hellgate and Lisa works parttime in the school. So the open enrollment policy, convenience for the student, and again, yes, the basketball program probably influenced the decision.

Congrats to Hellgate and Stevi both on their state championships!!

Back