• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The days of the Griz dominating BSC are over

Greenacres Griz

Just accept it the BSC is better and we aren't going to dominate it year in and year out. To be honest I am kind of excited as I don't expect us to win every game anymore.

Greenacres Griz said:
Just accept it the BSC is better and we aren't going to dominate it year in and year out. To be honest I am kind of excited as I don't expect us to win every game anymore.

Bipolar green-bellyachres is back.

Well, I actually DO expect the Griz to WIN every game they play as an EWU fan, very tough program, a winning tradition, great recruiting and facilities. I'm always shocked when they lose. That being said, yes, the BSC is getting MUCH tougher year to date with CPU, MSU, NAU, UM, EWU, and now PSU, maybe even SUU. I don't know all the teams records, but EWU is 38-14 over the last 4 years, It has helped in recruiting quite a bit. MSU has a great TX pipeline now, and PSU got 11 FBS transfers this year alone, 16 total to lead the BSC. I think the only year the Griz will have a bad year will be poor coaching, they will always have the athletes. As far as EWU goes this year, they DO have the talent on defense, but the Defensive scheme thus far has been a base defense, we've blitzed like twice in 4 games this year, so they need to change it up. I watched the Griz/NAU game last night on replay, and NAU was all over JJ, something I hope EWU will do???????? Honestly, the Griz were in that game had it not been for turnovers. Very impressed with JJ, but not so much with the O Line.
Alpha, I'll be at Griz game on 10/26, give me your details on a PM!
Mark

You have to promise to bring Screaming Bagel................... :twisted: His mom will be in Lolo that weekend anyway............again.... :?

:coffee:

When's the last time anyone has won the league outright? There hasn't been a "dominant" BSC team in awhile.

NDSU & Alabama = Dominant

Can't think of anybody else in college football.

Walkon79 said:
When's the last time anyone has won the league outright? There hasn't been a "dominant" BSC team in awhile.

2009, I believe.

Walkon79 said:

According to a big sky conf article, it was 2011. The cats "technically" won the conference outright after UM volunteered to vacate the last 6 games of 2011. That despite UM's 36-10 win in Bozeman.

Before that, UM won outright in '09, '07, '06, '01, '00, '99, and '98.

Other than that and outside of UM, I think you have to go all the way back to EWU winning outright in 1997.

Our reign of terror at an end....?

The wheels came loose a while ago. I recall when Selvigs lady griz dominated womens bb for a long time and were sometimes national newsworthy.

It is just the way of things.....nobody reigns forever....more talent to spread around.

NDSU and Tide are having their respective days...they will come to an end

I enjoyed our time at the top, we'll still have our moments but not as much as we have enjoyed since Air Read came to Missoula once upon a time.

first11 said:
Our reign of terror at an end....?

The wheels came loose a while ago. I recall when Selvigs lady griz dominated womens bb for a long time and were sometimes national newsworthy.

It is just the way of things.....nobody reigns forever....more talent to spread around.

NDSU and Tide are having their respective days...they will come to an end

I enjoyed our time at the top, we'll still have our moments but not as much as we have enjoyed since Air Read came to Missoula once upon a time.

Well said. Alabama has caught magic (Saban) in a bottle lately. The key to any program dominating starts at the top. The major detriment and hurdle for the Grizzlies has been coaching changes and turnover. Look at all the teams in the Big Sky and add up the coaching changes over 15 years. The Griz have to be near the top. Big time college football dollars are way to appealing to pass up for coaches that get the call. I think the Griz losing two coaches to FCS demonstrates how dominant they have been. Pflu would have eventually gotten the call if it were not for the shiite storm that ensued. The Griz will be fine once they hire a young, competent, motivated and disciplined coach. Hopefully that is their next coach, but with Rolls at the helm - God only knows what will happen. My major concern is keeping a good coach on board for a lengthy stay. Right now the University of Montana is it's own worst enemy when it comes to the football program and enrollment. Go Rolls, you are doing a bang up job. Who knows, maybe Rolls will call Cliff Hysell next. What a great fit.

There is not another program in the BSC that has the potential to dominate year in and year out like Montana....if they have the right coaching staff supported by the right AD whom is supported by the right Pres. We don't have that right now.

NativeGriz said:
There is not another program in the BSC that has the potential to dominate year in and year out like Montana....if they have the right coaching staff supported by the right AD whom is supported by the right Pres. We don't have that right now.
To true :thumb:

Hard to believe, several years ago we were complaining that the Big Sky was not tough enough. Be careful what you wish for.

This post is pretty silly and kind of ridiculous...lol. The days of dominating the BSC are over, huh? Didn't Montana play in the FCS semifinals two seasons ago? And the Championship game two seasons before that?!!! Yes, they had a terrible season last year...but... aren't they currently ranked the 10th best FCS team in the entire country (even after a crushing defeat)? Dude, step back away from the ledge, buddy!!! Do you think Florida Gator fans believe that they will never be as dominant in the SEC as they once were? Do you think Texas and Oklahoma fans think their days atop the polls are over? The most dominant programs in the country have peaks and valleys. Montana has the most money in the BSC! They have the best stadium and the most fanatic, devoted fans! The best FCS caliber High School prospects in the nation will continue to choose to attend Montana no matter how well they do from year to year. If you want to be a fan of a program that dominates a highly competitive conference year in and year out with no exceptions... the only program in the country that fits that description is Alabama. Welcome to reality! Oh no... Boise State lost twice this season. Their days of dominating their conference must surely be over!!! Whether this year, next season, or the following season, I can assure you that the Griz will be back playing deep into the post-season. If you are ONLY satisfied with a national championship, then you might want to jump on another bandwagon because you just may be a bit too spoiled.

This post is hilarious, and ridiculous at the same point. There is NO REASON why we shouldn't expect the Griz to have continued SUCCESS in the Big Sky. Dominance? Way to early to tell. Even with 2 of the last 3 seasons being unsuccessful, it hasn't been enough to call our overall (past 20 years) dominance 'gone'. Out the BSC level, you're going to continue to have trends in both directions.. years like this where the competition is (really) good, and years where it's not. I'm just glad we've got a team this year that will compete for a title (bank on it). . We've still got the premier program.. nothing has changed there. If our coaching staff evolves and continues to gain experience, and we continue to recruit well, we'll be fine. One big caveat: we HAVE to get the best MT kids (or atleast a lion's share of them) each year. History suggests, this is vitally important. (Read: 2006-2009 teams), and the griz alums that are in the NFL.

BellevueGriz said:
This post is pretty silly and kind of ridiculous...lol. The days of dominating the BSC are over, huh? Didn't Montana play in the FCS semifinals two seasons ago? And the Championship game two seasons before that?!!! Yes, they had a terrible season last year...but... aren't they currently ranked the 10th best FCS team in the entire country (even after a crushing defeat)? Dude, step back away from the ledge, buddy!!! Do you think Florida Gator fans believe that they will never be as dominant in the SEC as they once were? Do you think Texas and Oklahoma fans think their days atop the polls are over? The most dominant programs in the country have peaks and valleys. Montana has the most money in the BSC! They have the best stadium and the most fanatic, devoted fans! The best FCS caliber High School prospects in the nation will continue to choose to attend Montana no matter how well they do from year to year. If you want to be a fan of a program that dominates a highly competitive conference year in and year out with no exceptions... the only program in the country that fits that description is Alabama. Welcome to reality! Oh no... Boise State lost twice this season. Their days of dominating their conference must surely be over!!! Whether this year, next season, or the following season, I can assure you that the Griz will be back playing deep into the post-season. If you are ONLY satisfied with a national championship, then you might want to jump on another bandwagon because you just may be a bit too spoiled.

Great post, Bellevue!

Guardiangriz said:
One big caveat: we HAVE to get the best MT kids (or atleast a lion's share of them) each year. History suggests, this is vitally important. (Read: 2006-2009 teams), and the griz alums that are in the NFL.

One other caveat: Past performance does not guarantee future results.

Back