• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The D1 split

Great article, thank you for sharing.

“I am looking at a 10% operating budget cut so that money can go to their former student athletes,” said Tom Wistrcill, commissioner of the Big Sky Conference. “In the system we’ve created, some schools and conferences are doing really, really well. Good for them. Some are struggling.”

If the Power 4 are allowed to completely regulate themselves, at what point do they do away with the classes(Sr,Jr,So,Fr) and just let the kids stay as long as they want, depending on how much they’re getting paid? Will kids eventually even need to be enrolled in schools taking classes?

What power does the NCAA even have anymore? Seems like the P4 commissioners are not only controlling everything but are greedy to take even more of the money than they're already getting, which is most of it. I wonder how many crumbs they're going to leave behind for everyone else.

If the Power 4 are allowed to completely regulate themselves, at what point do they do away with the classes(Sr,Jr,So,Fr) and just let the kids stay as long as they want, depending on how much they’re getting paid? Will kids eventually even need to be enrolled in schools taking classes?
Where have all the scholar-athletes gone? Ha.

What power does the NCAA even have anymore? Seems like the P4 commissioners are not only controlling everything but are greedy to take even more of the money than they're already getting, which is most of it. I wonder how many crumbs they're going to leave behind for everyone else.
Time to appoint a Commissioner of College Football with some real authority to enforce rules and set standards and leverage punishment. The current commissioners of the P4 conferences have way to much at stake by only serving the schools they have responsibility to/for!

I think they'll have to be enrolled, but I don't think the players at the highest levels have been "taking classes" for a while now. I've posted this before, but I still like it:

Four years of eligibility came about since it typically took four years to get a degree. But this is an artificial rule if you think about it - they could have just allowed any "student-athlete" to be eligible if they are full-time enrolled students. "Academic eligible" is tied to being a student in general. To many bad grades and a student gets kicked out of school. The "four years to get a degree" justification has already long been skirted with redshirting. I mean, just because someone is physically hurt, why would it take longer to get a degree? Now we have all kinds of weird eligibility/redshirting rules.

I think the first enrolled student in good academic standing who has used up their eligibility will win a lawsuit against the NCAA for artificially restricting their rights to make money via NIL. Just like the argument that led to eliminating the transfer eligibility rules this year. So soon, you and I can enroll and play sports if we are good enough and desire to. That is two strikes against me, lol.

I think they'll have to be enrolled, but I don't think the players at the highest levels have been "taking classes" for a while now. I've posted this before, but I still like it:

Oh it’s a fact. I worked with a guy who was an All SEC safety at Ol Miss who claimed to not attend a single class while there. Now he’s a material handler for a production facility.

I think the issue will be if they aren't students, than they are either employees or contractors. I would think either would put a limit on eligibility, as it is now, linked to academics, 5 to play 4, or a contract that spells out the same defined terms. No one involved wants the employee/contractor path.

Oh it’s a fact. I worked with a guy who was an All SEC safety at Ol Miss who claimed to not attend a single class while there. Now he’s a material handler for a production facility.
He uses a scoop shovel to put whateverthefuck into something? Hmm...Forrest Gump with out the luck.

I don't see the judge going along with this settlement. The settlement will impact many parties who are not involved in putting together the settlement (who's protecting their interests?); the settlement was done by very self-interested parties; and the big picture effects of the settlement and how it works out in the future is patently unfair to some parties. I can't seeing the judge wanted to step into this mess, and getting a huge amount of criticism. The issues are almost impossible to resolve, looking backwards or forward. And the forward part is continuing to evolve. On the other hand, I know nothing about the case other than having read these several articles.

Back