• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The curse of Washington Grizzly Stadium to visiting teams

asusmc

I'll give you a topic...discuss

That stadium is like buttah to the Griz....only 20 homefield losses since 1986!!!

App has a chance to make it 21 losses at home. Looking forward to Missoula my friends!!!

The last meeting here was epic. One- if not the- best football games I've seen. I was elated at the outcome but still tipped my hat to AE and the App State team when their final drive failed. I hope for a W for the Griz Saturday and wish you guys all the best in your move.

It's the combination of the stadium itself and the people who fill it. For starters the stadium is built to watch football only, not track/field and football. The stadium walls are steep and the first row of fans is right on top of the field. The field is dug out low into the ground so sound can't escape as easily as on a ground level surface. Add in 25,000-plus screaming Griz fans who understand the game of football and the impact a loud and boisterous crowd can have on the game and you can begin to comprehend the totality of WaGriz. It's simply the most intimidating stadium in all of the FCS to opposing teams and the best home-field advantage for it's occupants.

I think how this will probably be the last time these two programs face each other...

Now I'm getting a bit verklempt...

talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic: Washington Grizzly Stadium is neither in Washington nor do Grizzly bears hibernate there...discuss.

asusmc said:
I think how this will probably be the last time these two programs face each other...

talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic: Washington Grizzly Stadium is neither in Washington nor do Grizzly bears hibernate there...discuss.

Well-played! I'm on the 50 right behind your boys. Tell them I just want to be friends.

Hey kittie troll. You should rename kitty stadium Grizzly Stadium since the Griz always take the cats out behind the woodshed over there, and will again this year.

asusmc said:

asusmc-

I am disappointed this will likely be the last time these two powerhouse programs meet unless the Griz make the jump up. The 2009 playoff game was unbelievable and I am so glad to have been in the stands for that one. I watched that game on DVR so many times it was deleted by a roommate who was sick of seeing it so much. lol I wish I would have ordered the DVD because now it is not available. I also met A. Edwards at the Holiday Inn and he and the other players were class acts just like their fans. I wish App St. the best of luck except for next Saturday night when I will be there to watch the final showdown.

Washington-Grizzly stadium includes the former because Dennis Washington (formerly owner of Washington Group International Inc) donated a bunch of money and construction to build the stadium up and the rest is history behind the homefield advantage you refer to as the curse. The Grizzly bear is the state animal and can be found nearby, not to mention is a bada** beast so IMO is one of the best college mascots around.

Go Griz!!! and App St. (except next Sat. of course lol)

1Griz_Fan said:
I am disappointed this will likely be the last time these two powerhouse programs meet [Yes, very sad.] unless the Griz make the jump up. The 2009 playoff game was unbelievable and I am so glad to have been in the stands for that one. I watched that game on DVR so many times it was deleted by a roommate who was sick of seeing it so much. lol I wish I would have ordered the DVD because now it is not available. I also met A. Edwards at the Holiday Inn and he and the other players were class acts just like their fans. I wish App St. the best of luck except for next Saturday night when I will be there to watch the final showdown.

Washington-Grizzly stadium includes the former because Dennis Washington (formerly owner of Washington Group International Inc) donated a bunch of money and construction to build the stadium up and the rest is history behind the homefield advantage you refer to as the curse. The Grizzly bear is the state animal and can be found nearby, not to mention is a bada** beast so IMO is one of the best college mascots around.

One of the better parts about the Grizzly as a mascot is ... no PC dimwit thinks we should dump it because the idea might somehow offend someone. For the life of me, I do not understand how wanting your favorite team to exhibit the spirit, courage, and toughness of a chosen mascot degrades that mascot. Since, I'm clearly out of step with PC-ness, I'll say no more. (I suppose there are those who object to "Mountaineers.")

asusmc said:
I'll give you a topic...discuss

That stadium is like buttah to the Griz....only 20 homefield losses since 1986!!!

App has a chance to make it 21 losses at home. Looking forward to Missoula my friends!!!

Careful with that talk...there's cat fans on these boards ya know?
They don't take kindly.

1Griz_Fan said:
asusmc said:

asusmc-

I am disappointed this will likely be the last time these two powerhouse programs meet unless the Griz make the jump up. The 2009 playoff game was unbelievable and I am so glad to have been in the stands for that one. I watched that game on DVR so many times it was deleted by a roommate who was sick of seeing it so much. lol I wish I would have ordered the DVD because now it is not available. I also met A. Edwards at the Holiday Inn and he and the other players were class acts just like their fans. I wish App St. the best of luck except for next Saturday night when I will be there to watch the final showdown.

1Griz_fan,
Regarding the DVD availability of the classic 2009 semi final game at WaGriz, one of the frequent posters on this egriz forum (PeauxRouge) was kind enough to ship me 2 burned copies of the game after I lamented not being able to find it anywhere. I'm traveling from Raleigh, NC to Missoula for the game. If you're going to the game, I will be happy to burn you a copy and give it to you in person or I can simply throw it in the mail. Private message me your cell phone # or your address (PM because cat fans may blow up your cell w/ prank calls :x ). I already have to deliver a bottle of booze to PeauxRouge during tailgating time for his kindness.

I'm glad you got to meet Armanti. He's painfully quiet and reserved but his dedication to always improving is solid (except when mowing a lawn - lol). One of my closest friends has been the controller for the Carolina Panthers for many years and has told me that Armanti's reputation is one of pure work ethic. Cam Newton has dubbed him "the quiet assassin" as Armanti is finally coming into his own as a wide receiver in the NFL.

IdaGriz01 said:
1Griz_Fan said:
I am disappointed this will likely be the last time these two powerhouse programs meet [Yes, very sad.] unless the Griz make the jump up. The 2009 playoff game was unbelievable and I am so glad to have been in the stands for that one. I watched that game on DVR so many times it was deleted by a roommate who was sick of seeing it so much. lol I wish I would have ordered the DVD because now it is not available. I also met A. Edwards at the Holiday Inn and he and the other players were class acts just like their fans. I wish App St. the best of luck except for next Saturday night when I will be there to watch the final showdown.

One of the better parts about the Grizzly as a mascot is ... no PC dimwit thinks we should dump it because the idea might somehow offend someone. For the life of me, I do not understand how wanting your favorite team to exhibit the spirit, courage, and toughness of a chosen mascot degrades that mascot. Since, I'm clearly out of step with PC-ness, I'll say no more. (I suppose there are those who object to "Mountaineers.")

just western Carolina, citadel, chatty & elon fans...

Latest posts

Back