• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Big Question:

NLGrizFan

http://www.gogriz.com/blog/2013/08/a-defense-to-be-reckoned-with.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is one thing for certain about this 2013 edition of Grizzly football - While there surely are uncertainties, one thing is for certain with 10 defensive starters returning there will be a wealth of experience.

Here it is already approaching mid-week of the season opener Saturday night as the Grizzlies look to upend the bandwagon of the Mountaineers of Appalachian State.

Now make no mistake about it fans, I'm as big a fan of the offense as the next guy and look for that side of the football to be explosive and unpredictable this season but let's face it, if the opponents have a goose egg on the scoreboard the defense has probably performed quite up to par, usually meaning victory.

And as far as I'm concerned this defensive unit shapes up to be one of Montana's finest in a while.

Gone from the unit of a year ago is only end Josh Harris but Tyrone Holmes, who picked up five sacks in relief last year, is set to step in with Josh Wagenmann, fourth in the country in sacks last year, manning the other pivot.

Add to the front four senior Alex Bienemann and bulky junior Tonga Takai, both honorable mention all-league, as well as a host of youngsters all of whom probably will see time and you quickly see why opponents will be hard pressed to run the football.

But of course it's the linebacking corps led by Buchanan candidate Jordan Tripp who received most of the pre-season accolades.

Along with Brock Coyle and John Kanongata'a, linebackers accounted for the bulk of the tackles last season and may well be the quickest trio man-for-man in some time.

But there's also plenty of depth in the front seven meaning fresh bodies will still be making big plays in the pivotal fourth quarter to get the offense back on the field.

And with upperclassman Anthony Goodwin, Matt Hermanson and Bo Tully holding down the secondary and plenty of depth epitomized by Sean Murray , who was honorable mention all-league at corner after starting double-digit games I would be more than surprised if opponents seldom scored in double digits.

Wouldn't that be a return to times-of-old which no doubt would bring the Grizzlies to double-digit wins?

Hmmm... Well, anything is better than last season. Personally, I think this is 90% accurate.

I have two big questions:

First, can the coaches make the in-game adjustments required to beat App? First game of the season means there is no film to study, thus it would seem pretty likely the Mountaineers will have some element of their game plan that the Griz have never seen. Can the coaches and team adjust?

Second, (this is a little harsh) are the players skilled enough? Lot's of folks on eGriz are giddy about having 20 starters back, but those 20 starters were 5-6 last year. Have the players done the work to significantly improve?

I'm looking forward to Saturday night to find out, Go Griz!!

Time will tell how good you are on D. My belief is that the reason your run D stats looked so good last year is because teams knew they could throw on you so they just didn't run on you much. IF your secondary is much improved somehow... even though it's basically the same players, you'll see more teams try to pound it out against you. Some will have success (NAU, EWU, MSU, CP), others probably not so much. Your one linebacker is crazy fast... the other two, not so much, I noticed them out of position a lot last year, especially on pass coverage. I know you guys are all hoping for a defense like one of the D's in years past... (12 ppg or something sick like that)... but it's just not going to happen.

mcg said:
Second, (this is a little harsh) are the players skilled enough? Lot's of folks on eGriz are giddy about having 20 starters back, but those 20 starters were 5-6 last year. Have the players done the work to significantly improve?

:roll:

poorgriz said:
Time will tell how good you are on D. My belief is that the reason your run D stats looked so good last year is because teams knew they could throw on you so they just didn't run on you much. IF your secondary is much improved somehow... even though it's basically the same players, you'll see more teams try to pound it out against you. Some will have success (NAU, EWU, MSU, CP), others probably not so much. Your one linebacker is crazy fast... the other two, not so much, I noticed them out of position a lot last year, especially on pass coverage. I know you guys are all hoping for a defense like one of the D's in years past... (12 ppg or something sick like that)... but it's just not going to happen.
I think practicing with JJ is gonna be a HUGE improvement vs practicing against a guy that admitted that he couldn't read the game cuz it moved to fast. Not to mention very green. It's gonna be a lot different this year. I honestly believe the Griz will be back on top where they're used to.

grizcountry420 said:
mcg said:

:roll:

I see your eye rollie emoticon, and raise you a dog being shown a card trick emoticon..

mcg said:

First, can the coaches make the in-game adjustments required to beat App? First game of the season means there is no film to study, thus it would seem pretty likely the Mountaineers will have some element of their game plan that the Griz have never seen. Can the coaches and team adjust?

Maybe you haven't heard, but no one on egriz is supposed to question whether coaching staffs can make appropriate adjustments. Well, almost no one. I'll trust you won't make this mistake again.

mcg said:

No, I'm sure they've just been smoking dope and eating Cheetos all summer. We're fucked.

poorgriz said:
Time will tell how good you are on D. My belief is that the reason your run D stats looked so good last year is because teams knew they could throw on you so they just didn't run on you much.

Maybe... but, the Griz were one of only 6 fcs teams to hold opponents to less than 3 yds per run.

" I would be more than surprised if opponents seldom scored in double digits."

I was hoping that he would be more than surprised if opponents EVER scored in double digits.

poorgriz said:

The Griz defense is going to flat get after it. IMO this defense will be one of the top 2 in the conference with Cal Poly and EWU right in the mix. I really hope msu tries and run.....they won't be able to control the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball.

Paper champs.

I don't understand why our defense is receiving this constant hype. I know, 10 returning starters... But 10 returning starters who got abused last season. Our defense with Gregorak is a concern until we see otherwise - a solid unit but far from great.

grizcountry420 said:
Htowngriz said:
No, I'm sure they've just been smoking dope and eating Cheetos all summer. We're f***[*].

Smoking dope doesnt effect your ability to win games... :cool:
Just ask Micheal Felps :lol: (I think I spelled that wrong...)

If you have read about this year much the coaches know they had to play soft man and zone a ton and that's where we got beat up. No team can be good playing 100% soft coverage and this year they are saying the team has experience now and will play bump and run and zone mix and swing defense. Honestly I think we will get beat less deep. But our safetys won't be alone on islands now and our LBs can play in correct formations. John and Brock often lined up in a almost 4-4 or 5-2 lb set to cover the quick outs and runs which screwed up prettyuch everthing. This Normal style should allow our players to focus on doing their 1-11. Not 2 or 3 of 11.

poorgriz said:

When has msu EVER had success running the ball against the GRIZ?? I don't think this is the year to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:

When has msu EVER had success running the ball against the GRIZ?? I don't think this is the year to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess "success" is a relative term but i'd say 2010. we had about 180 on the ground that day with orenzo going for 140 and a td.

Back