• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

the air up there

Bear Axed

DONOR
Bad air and crutches?

Ochs and Pitcher are both in casts and crutches, couldn't see much more the air was to thick.

August 22, 2003
BLACK BEARS WRAP-UP PRESEASON CAMP WITH THIRD SCRIMMAGE

ORONO, Maine -- The Black Bear football team displayed an efficient offense and a hard-hitting defense in the last of Maine's three preseason scrimmage, held Thursday night at Morse Field.

The majority of the nearly two-hour scrimmage focused on specific game situations, and the Black Bears looked a lot crisper in handling those scenarios - on both sides of the ball.

"We weren't as sloppy as we were in the second scrimmage," said Head Coach Jack Cosgrove. "We were a lot crisper in terms of our execution, but we had some breakdowns too - some things we need to get better at."

Among the offensive highlights was the running of tailbacks Marcus Williams (Amherst, Mass./Amherst) and Onyi Momah (Greenlawn, N.Y./John Glenn). Williams had a 23-yard carry to open the scrimmage and effectively moved the ball whenever he was called upon the rest of the night. Momah, who saw more playing time late in the scrimmage, had a 34-yard touchdown run and followed that up with 14- and 15-yard carries and another TD rush for five yards.

"Coach let me go out, follow my blocks and follow the offensive line, and it all came together," said Momah, who credited his performance to plenty of preseason and spring work on his field vision.

"I worked on my vision a lot; instead of looking at one guy, I worked on looking at the whole field and seeing where the offensive line is blocking. Wherever the linemen block, I follow," said Momah.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Ron Whitcomb (East Rochester, N.Y./East Rochester), who was named Maine's starter for the Montana game earlier this week, tossed a pair of touchdown passes during the scrimmage. Ivi Nwosu (Bridgewater, Mass./Coyle Cassidy) pulled in a 13-yard TD pass to close out the first series of the scrimmage, while Ryan Waller (Chester, Va./L.C. Bird) had a 15-yard touchdown reception late in the scrimmage.

Whitcomb finished the scrimmage with 17 completions in 26 pass attempts for 191 yards.

Defensively, defensive back John Baumgartner (Carteret, N.J./Carteret) turned in a standout performance with a pass break-up and an interception in the endzone during a two-minute drill.

The Black Bears will have single-session days on Friday and Saturday and will take Sunday off, before starting to prepare for third-ranked Montana on Monday.

"The thing that's good now is that we're going to be able to gear up and get ready for an opponent that we can prepare for as a team," said Cosgrove.

"We had a tough camp, but next week's game time and we're all ready to go," said defensive lineman Marcus Walton (White Plains, N.Y./White Plains), who offered a simple outline for the Black Bears' final week before the season opener.

"Study film and get prepared, get the calls ready, get focused, and be ready to play," said Walton.

Maine will host the Grizzlies in the "Battle of the Bears" on August 30 at 6 p.m. on Morse Field. For ticket information, call 207-581-BEAR, check out the official athletic website at www.GoBlackBears.com.

Back