• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

THE 4th and goal

JayLarson

I honestly had no problem with the Griz going for it, what I did have a problem with was the play call. You call a play-action bootleg to the strong side of the field with no receiver going out for a pass, Wilson looked like he was still trying to block, JJ had no where to go, and of course he was trying to score which all resulted in a TD for NAU. They had just stuffed us 2 times in a row, if you are going to go for it go with 5 guys receivers, tight ends, whatever and run a pass play, at least you are giving your self some options. Or at least run a naked bootleg to the other side. I blame that TD for NAU on our coaching staff.

It was a great call, its still a great call and even if we score a TD it wouldnt have changed the outcome of the game.

We were never in the game, we were beat on both sides of the ball at every position, we are lucky it was as close as it was. I hope in the future we continue to go for it in those positions and if we do decide to kick FGs I hope we miss them.

I had no problem with them going for it. It showed that we were trying to win the game and showed faith in your offense. Problem was there was only on guy in the pattern. The fullback. He was covered. How the play played out showed how the game was going. They were faster and meaner off the ball on both offense and defense. You turn the ball over, you will lose. We got smacked around yesterday.

Now can we stop the "redemption tour" BS and bring on NDSU BS and play out the season and hope this team gets better every week?

grizatwork said:
I had no problem with them going for it. It showed that we were trying to win the game and showed faith in your offense. Problem was there was only on guy in the pattern. The fullback. He was covered. How the play played out showed how the game was going. They were faster and meaner off the ball on both offense and defense. You turn the ball over, you will lose. We got smacked around yesterday.

Now can we stop the "redemption tour" BS and bring on NDSU BS and play out the season and hope this team gets better every week?

The whole 1st and goal series was bad, inside the 5 with that big O line you line up double tight end and a FB and pound it up the middle 4 times and score, there's no reason to do anything else.

Rolling out on 4th down with your FB as your only option and the defense only having to defend 2 yards of the field is a shit call, you're better off play faking and releasing a TE, at least you have options if that one guy is covered.

Doesn't matter, I'm tired of talking about it.

Seriously, WTF? Is everyone really this butthurt over the 4th down call? I think JJ should have taken a knee, then the defense could have stripped the ball and recovered in the end zone. That would have changed the momentum. :coffee:

Good decision, terrible call, IMO. Boot leg to the near side of the field with one eligible receiver.. yikes.

jodcon said:
The whole 1st and goal series was bad, inside the 5 with that big O line you line up double tight end and a FB and pound it up the middle 4 times and score, there's no reason to do anything else.

Rolling out on 4th down with your FB as your only option and the defense only having to defend 2 yards of the field is a shit call, you're better off play faking and releasing a TE, at least you have options if that one guy is covered.

Clearly the first few times we tried to pound it up the middle we got nowhere. Spread everyone out which makes the defense do the same and opens up more options and holes to run it in or pass it off if they're cheating the run. Our problem is that we couldn't push 2 yards so we had to stop being so damn one-dimensional and predictive with our play calling.

deputygrizbro said:
jodcon said:

Clearly the first few times we tried to pound it up the middle we got nowhere. Spread everyone out which makes the defense do the same and opens up more options and holes to run it in or pass it off if they're cheating the run. Our problem is that we couldn't push 2 yards so we had to stop being so damn one-dimensional and predictive with our play calling.

What first few times do you mean?

jodcon said:
deputygrizbro said:
jodcon said:

What first few times do you mean? We threw on 1st and goal from the 4?

I'm fine with going for it on fourth down, it would be really interesting to see some real stats of the expected value of going for a td compared to a field goal try (by a freshman kicker in his first game). Giving up a fumble for a TD is highly unlikely.

My issue is the first three goal-to-go plays. It seems these plays went nowhere, wouldn't you expect better from the offense? We never should have been in fourth down.

The NAU defense was playing inspired football. It that situation, I take the points available - 14-6 and we still have a ballgame. Turning point of the game, which made the NAU D even more inspired.

Take the points. It's then a 1 score game with the Griz getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Whole new ballgame.

BWahlberg said:
Take the points. It's then a 1 score game with the Griz getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Whole new ballgame.

I don't necessarily think it was a bad call, but personally I would have taken the 3 points. Actually, I would have lined up three times in a row and ran it at the right side of our line for the touchdown.

yeah, there really is no debate here. If you have confidence in your team, you take the points, especially knowing you get the ball after the half.

I was more pissed about the 2nd and 3rd down calls, attempting to run up the middle when NAU had 10 men stacked on the line.

kemajic said:
The NAU defense was playing inspired football. It that situation, I take the points available - 14-6 and we still have a ballgame. Turning point of the game, which made the NAU D even more inspired.

I agree. That's what most good coaches would do .. especially on the road. It was early in the game you take points when you can get them. The Griz already knew they were in a dogfight at that point.

When asked about this call, Delaney said he wouldn't do it differently. Again, I believe many of you are just judging it in retrospect with the benefit of knowing the disastrous result. Delaney's view was, using my words, that it was a tough game and it was necessary to be aggressive towards winning the game at that time.

Delaney also said (last night on the Griz sport show) that it is a play that they like to go to and the D recognized it. How about changing up a few things instead of the "go to" play and show them something different.

Back