• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tevin McDonald

ordigger

DONOR
Tevin McDonald was released from his scholarship by UCLA. Two year starter...could transfer to FCS and play right away. Should we avoid these types of players? Or is our need so great in the secondary, we should still go for him?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/coll...cdonald-dismissed-ucla-bruins-rules-violation

LOS ANGELES -- UCLA safety Tevin McDonald has been dismissed from the football team for a violation of team rules, Bruins coach Jim Mora announced Tuesday.

McDonald, a starter the last two seasons and a freshman All-American in 2011, was third on the team with 79 tackles last season and tied a school record with three interceptions in a game as a freshman.

McDonald was thought of as one of the team leaders, and Mora selected him as one of two representatives for Pac-12 media day prior to last season.

"It's disappointing to me," Mora said. "I'm disappointed for Tevin."

McDonald also was suspended from UCLA's Holiday Bowl appearance in December for a violation of team rules. The Los Angeles Times reported at the time that McDonald had failed three drug tests. UCLA's policy is that a player who fails three drug tests is suspended for a game and failing any subsequent drug tests would result in the loss of scholarship.

Mora, citing legal reasons, could not reveal the nature of the violation that resulted in McDonald's dismissal or if it was related to his Holiday Bowl suspension. He simply expressed sadness over losing a player who he has known for a long time.

McDonald's father, Tim, played safety for the San Francisco 49ers when Mora was the defensive backs coach for the 49ers. He said Tevin and his brother T.J., a USC standout the past four seasons, used to hang around practices and the locker room.

"I've known Tevin since he was a young boy," Mora said. "I probably met him when he was 5. So just on a personal level, it's disappointing. I care about him and I hope that everything turns out well for him."

Mora hinted that McDonald would probably try to transfer to another school.

""He's got a great family, he's got great parents and I know that they'll find the right avenues for him to have success," Mora said. "He's a good kid."

Losing McDonald leaves an already thin UCLA secondary with another question mark. McDonald was slated to start, but now sophomore Randall Goforth is the only returning player who started at any secondary position last season.

Dietrich Riley, a starter at safety two years ago, is slated to return from neck fusion surgery. The Bruins have signed a top-notch class of secondary players, including Priest Willis and Tahaan Goodman, who were both ranked among the top 10 safeties in the Class of 2013.

"We're really light at that safety position," Mora said. "We've got reinforcements coming in the fall with the four really good players that we signed, but they're not here yet. I think the one interesting thing will be to see how Dietrich is. He's been cleared."

In my opinion, each case is unique. It depends on the kid and what happened and what he (or she depending on the sport) has done to make changes for the better. McDonald appears to be on a collision course with trouble. If he did fail 3 drug tests for the first suspension and then another for a loss of scholarship, my suggestion would be for him to undergo extensive drug counseling and treatment for a year and then evaluate what he can do to pursue his dream (if he still has it) of playing football. I'm all about second chances when the effort has been made to remedy the underlying cause of a failed first chance, but in this case, I think McDonald really needs to get himself right before he thinks about ever playing football again.

Mora, citing legal reasons, could not reveal the nature of the violation that resulted in McDonald's dismissal or if it was related to his Holiday Bowl suspension.

I'd say no, but without knowing the nature of the latest violation it's hard to say definitely no.

Avoid him.

UM is under such a microscope right now and this guy has screwed up 3 times already, bringing him in would not suggest the Grizzlies are taking player conduct seriously. 3 strikes you're out. This guy's priorities are not to his team, they're selfish reasons that have only harmed him.

No thanks.

Mr. Rob No Imagination in Play Calling/Cover your "Ash" will be going after him and scat fans on here will be wildly defending him while pointing their fingers at Griz players. Typical. :roll:

granitegriz said:
Mr. Rob No Imagination in Play Calling/Cover your "Ash" will be going after him and scat fans on here will be wildly defending him while pointing their fingers at Griz players. Typical. :roll:

lol.......huh?

BWahlberg said:
Avoid him.

UM is under such a microscope right now and this guy has screwed up 3 times already, bringing him in would not suggest the Grizzlies are taking player conduct seriously. 3 strikes you're out. This guy's priorities are not to his team, they're selfish reasons that have only harmed him.

No thanks.

I agree totally!

We don't need help at safety anyway. Why would we want a "good" kid (as he was described by his coach). He could transfer to Northern Colorado (as pot is now legal in Colorado).

PlayerRep said:
We don't need help at safety anyway. Why would we want a "good" kid (as he was described by his coach). He could transfer to Northern Colorado (as pot is now legal in Colorado).

Was it pot or other stuff? The article didn't specify.

He may very well be a good kid but UM doesn't need the scutiny right now.

BWahlberg said:
Avoid him.

No thanks.

:clap: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :clap: 100% AGREEMENT!

I'd take him...win/win for the UofM.

If he does well, the university can give the finger to anyone who bitches, rehabilitation, second chances and all that jazz....

If he relapses, the university can give the finger to anyone who bitches, code in place, not enough discipline and all that jazz...

seems as though that's just me....shoulder shrugging thingy.

Hammer said:
PlayerRep said:

Was it pot or other stuff? The article didn't specify.

He may very well be a good kid but UM doesn't need the scutiny right now.

This article says that the one mentioned was pot. http://www.registerguard.com/web/news/sevendays/29219533-47/bowl-barkley-mcdonald-positive-team.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why would we even consider this kind of a profile. Doesnt matter whether we need help at the position not. We cant be the garbage can for the big boys. We cant be responsible for the ultimate conduct of the kids we recruit but we can have standards at the outset and certainly for transfers.

Strictly football speaking, he would be a great get, and exactly what this team needs in the defensive backfield.

That said, there's no goddamn way Delaney or Haslam are even considering it. We don't need him or his bad press that would come with him. I'd be shocked and disappointed if we went there.

Back