• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Talent or System - your thoughts?

Downwiththefoe

DONOR
Ok Griz fans....here is a question for you all to consider or respond if you want to.

Tonight I have to say the Griz talent won that game.

I think the Griz played like a team with a new coaching staff - that worries me a lot! We have a ton of returning starters and players....there should be a ton of chemistry!- That alone will carry you to 7 wins this year in My opinion.

I think BH has tried to install some offensive and defensive schemes that utilize our talents....but I fear he has changed so much from what these players are used too that it could have hurt us.

Maybe it was just the fact it was his first game as a head coach period.

OR they were on the road, against a good team, the fires, ochs, etc etc..... a 1,000 possible reasons.

The talent on this team will win us a lot of games.... period, no matter who we play... but a lot of games is not good enough around here i.e. 7-4, etc.

These kids are gamers.... and to watch our D get run over the first qtr. I was scared as hell.....and a little miffed at the defensive scheme we were running...lotta guys in the box, lots of holes in the secondary..... and not a lot of movement or upfield pressure at the snap of the ball.

get my drift?

I felt we lined up according to the down and distance and let the game come to us....in the past I felt our D...took it too the opponent. (especially early on)

the offense is another post all to itself...I liked some of what he did, but it was the first time in 7 years I asked myself....what is going on here...this does not look like the Griz.

talent carried us.....

Running game was nada.... the D stepped up, the special teams were the only thing I felt like performed to the level I have come too expect from the guys in Maroon & Silver.

It got better as the game went on.... and I am happy with a victory no matter how it came....but I think there are tougher teams ahead.... and just wanted to hear some other opinions.

Good Job BH and staff

Go Griz

I could agree with a lot you have said, but this is the first game of the season under a new system.

the offense is another post all to itself...I liked some of what he did, but it was the first time in 7 years I asked myself....what is going on here...this does not look like the Griz.

You must have missed Joe Glenn's first game coaching for the Griz against Hofstra. My friend, this game was absolutely great compared with that game. Griz get 30 points against a Maine team that is better the Hofstra team of 2000 of which the Griz scored only 9 points. And the 2000 Griz team had one of the best pure passing QB's that played for the Griz in Drew Miller. This year's Griz offense scored more points against Maine than the total points the 2000 griz scored against Hofstra.

Other than that, I am not so worried about Disney. It was his first college game in two years and having to do it against a top 10 ranked team at their place. The first two plays of the game were designed to take some of the nerves out of Disney. They failed miserably, and a pass rush for a sack certainly didn't help matters at all. I think he battled admirably considering the circumstances and I look forward to watching Disney play at QB. First games can always be a bear.

Another thing, in my opinion, this is a better start than last year. Maine is by far better than the Hofstra team of last year. To beat Maine at their place is pretty darn good. Maine has a very good defense and defense wins games. But Griz offense was better than what many of you, based on what I read so far, gave it. But our defense and special teams were the larger reason Griz beat Maine.

I for one, am very up beat with this team. Sure it was shakey, and certainly will look shakey in the early going.

Remember, Offense usually comes around later than defense. It is as expected.

I hear what your saying True. But it is such a shocker to all Griz fans to see our offense with all the awesome weapons we have held to 200 yards. It's unheard of in Griz football. We got more yards in our loss to MSU last year.

TrueGriz said:
I could agree with a lot you have said, but this is the first game of the season under a new system.

You must have missed Joe Glenn's first game coaching for the Griz against Hofstra. My friend, this game was absolutely great compared with that game. Griz get 30 points against a Maine team that is better the Hofstra team of 2000 of which the Griz scored only 9 points. And the 2000 Griz team had one of the best pure passing QB's that played for the Griz in Drew Miller. This year's Griz offense scored more points against Maine than the total points the 2000 griz scored against Hofstra.

Other than that, I am not so worried about Disney. It was his first college game in two years and having to do it against a top 10 ranked team at their place. The first two plays of the game were designed to take some of the nerves out of Disney. They failed miserably, and a pass rush for a sack certainly didn't help matters at all. I think he battled admirably considering the circumstances and I look forward to watching Disney play at QB. First games can always be a bear.

Another thing, in my opinion, this is a better start than last year. Maine is by far better than the Hofstra team of last year. To beat Maine at their place is pretty darn good. Maine has a very good defense and defense wins games. But Griz offense was better than what many of you, based on what I read so far, gave it. But our defense and special teams were the larger reason Griz beat Maine.

I for one, am very up beat with this team. Sure it was shakey, and certainly will look shakey in the early going.

Remember, Offense usually comes around later than defense. It is as expected.

I have to agree with you TrueGriz, we have come to expect the best from our teams, namely kicking the shit out of everyone. I remember after the Hofstra game everyone thinking the Griz were on a massive downslide and wanted to BBQ our new coach, me included. But what happened after that was unbelievable(sp, still more beer) So even though this game did not go as planned, we won and I will wait to judge these guys until the next couple games.

ronbo said:
I hear what your saying True. But it is such a shocker to all Griz fans to see our offense with all the awesome weapons we have held to 200 yards. It's unheard of in Griz football. We got more yards in our loss to MSU last year.

Total net yards against MSU last year was 199.

Again, our expectations for the Griz have become absurd. We were not playing Albany at home their boyz. I'm with True Griz, that was a good football team that will probably make the playoffs. We were at their place and beat them by 10 AFTER they scored a TD with 20 seconds left. While we all love the days of Dave and the boys and winning 70-7, those days are gone./ The division is much tougher now. At home, we probablhy win that game by 24 points, which is a sound beating of a RANKED team. Let's give everybody a chance before we get all fired up. WE WON and now have five games in a row at home. I like where we sit personally. I just can't wait for the Dirty Vandals to come to Missoula.

By the way ronbo, Griz had 218 total yards. Not much more than the 199 against MSU. But Disney didn't go 1 for 19 yards in the first half, but 9 for 13. Disney finished 17 - 30 for 152 yards. That is better than many QB's played in their first college game, let alone their first game in two years.

First games are just the hardest to take because you expect the team to play like their a well greased engine when in fact it just is a new car that needs broken in for a bit before you can really put it through its' paces.

It will come.

Actually True as poor as the QB and running back performances were tonight I'm not worried about them. They are learning a VERY complicated Phenicie offense and they will get better and better each week.

Here's what worried me. The offensive line. Disney really didn't have good time to get a good look most of the night. The pocket was collapsing in on him like the Temples at Pompeii. And the defense was "standing them up" at the line of scrimmage all night. As a result they weren't opening any holes for our backs. The running backs were trying to run through thousands of pounds of linemen all jammed up on the line of scrimmage.

I know to many Griz fans this game was very unipressive but lets take a deeper look into the facts surronding this game. 1) First game brand new head coach and staff. 2) lost practice time to fires. 3) Qb who hadn't played in a game in 2 years. 4) O-line in different positions then they played previously. 5) 2400 mile road trip to a team the was rank 6 in the nation to end last season.

RESULT 30-20 Griz with the last td Maine Td coing with 20 seconds left.

Ok people if anyother team would have got the same result under the same type of cercumstances I'm sure most of you would think it is very impressive. But this is the Griz and us Griz fans have a tendancy to expect things from our team that are virtually impossible. I understand the offense supptered and the defense wasn't great early on but I personally think that under the circumstances this was a very good win for the Griz and I'm sure that this team will be fine and Coach Hauk will turn out to be one of the best in Grizzly history before it is all said and done. Tell me who has the last griz coach to debute with a road win agianst a nationally ranked team like Maine?

Good analysis...Gawd, its great that football is back now.

I thought the Griz got started on the wrong foot and things kind of snowballed early, and it was pretty good of the coaches and players to get it turned around. What I mean:

The black bears took the opening drive and marched it down the field using a power ball control attack. The Griz defense bends but does not break and got a fumble to end the drive.

The Griz offense then goes three and out.

At that point something went wrong, either with the players making mistakes and showing jitters or the coaches trying the wrong schemes.

After the punt the Black Bears continue to move the ball and get a field goal.

Then, as we know Segars gets his touchdown.

Then the Black bears move the ball a bit again.
At that point the defense had been on the field against three ball control drives and Griz offense has spelled them for three plays. Do they get down or tired? No, they make a stand. I don't know if Bobby or the DC changed the look or what, but time of possession is everything to a ball control power game like Maine's and they had us just where they wanted us.

Return yards are always those hidden yards don't show up in an offense's production, but they were yards made by the Griz and not by the Black Bears and were a large part of why the Griz won the game.

loyalgriz said:
Again, our expectations for the Griz have become absurd. We were not playing Albany at home their boyz. I'm with True Griz, that was a good football team that will probably make the playoffs. We were at their place and beat them by 10 AFTER they scored a TD with 20 seconds left. While we all love the days of Dave and the boys and winning 70-7, those days are gone./ The division is much tougher now. At home, we probablhy win that game by 24 points, which is a sound beating of a RANKED team. Let's give everybody a chance before we get all fired up. WE WON and now have five games in a row at home. I like where we sit personally. I just can't wait for the Dirty Vandals to come to Missoula.

I couldn't have said it better Loyal! We got a win against a quality 1-AA program, and did not get bit by the injury bug (like all last year). Let's see how this team and the new coaching staff come together in September. Our expectations are probably too high, but we all expect a really good Griz team this year.

How many Griz fans are excited about LV, JH and our special teams play? What a great start for the special team players!

Go Griz!

As I recall, even some of Don Read's best teams had some kinks to work out early in the season with the offense and as others have pointed out so did Joe Glenn's teams. Also, keep in mind that everytime we score on a kick or a fumble recovery, that is one less offensive possession from which yards can be gained.

Granted our running game was not the best. But you have to admit that it was pretty cool when we started handing off and or doing shuttle passes to flankers. Nice touch using the the forward shuttle pass that deep in the backfield as a dropped ball is an incomplete forward pass. And, it was pretty cool when Waller threw the ball back to Disney--shades of Don Read. I am pretty sure this offense is just one or two little adjustments from making some big noise.

Plus also remember this, in this game it seemed we were trying to use the run to set up the pass. I am guessing what we are going to see more of as our offense gets into its paces is the pass setting up the run more. And, does anyone doubt that having either one of our top two (real) tight ends back will make a world of difference in blocking (pass or run)? Remember, by lining up a tightend, the pass rusher is another one to two yards wider depending on the defense. Moreover, if you look back into recent Griz history, we have historically had trouble with pass rushers on the real artificial turf.

All in all, I didn't see the coaches make any calls that were so bad I would want Mick or Joe Back. And, we beat Maine at Maine on articficial turf at night with our new qb, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator and head coach. We will get better and our offense will come, and well our defense if goin to make a lot of mommas cry for their babies.

Latest posts

Back