• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sweet 16 games

mtgrizrule

I have not watched any games earlier today. Pretty happy watching the Indiana/Syracuse game.
Syracuse's zone matchup defense always impresses me. So far they are stifling Indiana with it too.
Amazing, every year they can do this on defense. Is there a bigger staple in NCAA basketball over the last 20 years than the Syracuse zone match up defense? I honestly cannot think of one.

I agree. Indiana has 9 points with under 7 minutes left in the half. Griz had more points than that. Tough tough zone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtgrizrule said:
I have not watched any games earlier today. Pretty happy watching the Indiana/Syracuse game.
Syracuse's zone matchup defense always impresses me. So far they are stifling Indiana with it too.
Amazing, every year they can do this on defense. Is there a bigger staple in NCAA basketball over the last 20 years than the Syracuse zone match up defense? I honestly cannot think of one.
What impresses me most is that so many so-called "brilliant" coaches have not figured it out -- despite having eons of game film to work out a solution. (And that includes some conference coaches who see it twice, and sometimes three times every year). Granted, it's hard to simulate the Syracuse version of the defense in practice. But if it causes that much trouble (and it does), why don't any other teams use it? It's not rocket science.
Seems like it's an automatic mind game. In a way, it's nice to see that they've gotten into the heads of the Indiana team, which is playing like crap.

IdaGriz01 said:
mtgrizrule said:
What impresses me most is that so many so-called "brilliant" coaches have not figured it out -- despite having eons of game film to work out a solution. (And that includes some conference coaches who see it twice, and sometimes three times every year). Granted, it's hard to simulate the Syracuse version of the defense in practice. But if it causes that much trouble (and it does), why don't any other teams use it? It's not rocket science.
Seems like it's an automatic mind game. In a way, it's nice to see that they've gotten into the heads of the Indiana team, which is playing like crap.

Makes me feel less bad about our game against them. We did not execute our game plan well and neither is Indiana (at least so far).

so far the Cuse are schoolin the hoosiers..those guys in orange are impressive in the zone and on the offense

You know what also makes me feel better? Miami had 16 points at halftime of their game. Wheres all the pundits and twitter folk OMGing Miami scoring 16 points in a half?

How in the hell does a team beat this Syracuse Defense? Unreal how they take away everything an offense is supposed to do, or normally does.

mtgrizrule said:
How in the hell does a team beat this Syracuse Defense? Unreal how they take away everything an offense is supposed to do, or normally does.

Louisville killed them in the big east tourney using a double high post.

first11 said:
so far the Cuse are schoolin the hoosiers..those guys in orange are impressive in the zone and on the offense
The Griz still looked bad against that team ... but they are looking less and less bad. Indiana -- arguably the best team (and certainly among the 2-3 best) in the country -- still looks like s**t (32% FG shooting, 2 of 11 on treys, 15 turnovers :eek: ).

A monumental comeback is not out of the question, but I'm not holding my breathe. (And trading baskets is no help at this point.)

wbtfg said:
mtgrizrule said:

Well.....

L killed 'em when the Cuse couldn't score. Recall, L trailed that game by like 20. And the cuse turned it over 20 times. I'm not going to stay up late expecting that to happen again.

Clearly, the cuse is playing the best BB in the nation right now.

EverettGriz said:
wbtfg said:
mtgrizrule said:

Well.....

L killed 'em when the Cuse couldn't score. Recall, L trailed that game by like 20. And the cuse turned it over 20 times. I'm not going to stay up late expecting that to happen again.

Perhaps. But there is a "formula" to beat them -- Georgetown did it two out of three times (and the one 'Cuse win was at home, in OT), as did Louisville (by 17 in the BE tournament), and Marquette (the next opponent) in their one meeting. Marquette has improved greatly toward the end of the season (according to the "experts" -- I have not followed them). It's possible -- unlikely, perhaps -- but possible that the Orange bubble will burst in their very next game.

Another bracket: How good is Wichita State? They've been kinda "flying under the radar," but every time I see them play, I'm impressed. Nothing you can put your finger on, especially, but they just "git'er done."

IdaGriz01 said:
Another bracket: How good is Wichita State? They've been kinda "flying under the radar," but every time I see them play, I'm impressed. Nothing you can put your finger on, especially, but they just "git'er done."

I watched them play twice this year before the tournaments and they looked like shit in both games. Hence I had them picked to lose early. Silly me. I watched the wrong two games and figured they were just a bit over-rated.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
You know what also makes me feel better? Miami had 16 points at halftime of their game. Wheres all the pundits and twitter folk OMGing Miami scoring 16 points in a half?

Their center was out? (if not, it was a important cog of their team)

IdaGriz01 said:
EverettGriz said:
wbtfg said:
mtgrizrule said:

Well.....

Perhaps. But there is a "formula" to beat them -- Georgetown did it two out of three times (and the one 'Cuse win was at home, in OT), as did Louisville (by 17 in the BE tournament), and Marquette (the next opponent) in their one meeting. Marquette has improved greatly toward the end of the season (according to the "experts" -- I have not followed them). It's possible -- unlikely, perhaps -- but possible that the Orange bubble will burst in their very next game.

What do they all have in common???? They are big east teams that know the CUSE... Cuse were up on MQ the whole game but credit to MQ they came back and got the win at home... This will be a virtual home game for the CUSE... Turnovers and lack of offense is what tbeat the cuse when they lost 5 of 9 this year... MCW was off the charts last night compared to the regular season and Triche was 50% and Indiana is small outside of zeller... Cuse has had trouble with pressure this year which makes Louisville a bad matchup(even though we beat em on the road)... Seeing this D live for the first time has always been difficult... One huge thing is Kids cant consistently make 15 ft jump shots. NO ONE plays zone for even 20 minutes let alone all 40... GO ORANGE

mtgrizrule said:
You need a high post that can consistently knock down 15-17 footers or be a great passer when double teamed to hit either the wing READY to shoot a three (before long athletic defenders can recover) or the "short post" hiding behind baseline defenders.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

"Perhaps. But there is a "formula" to beat them -- Georgetown did it two out of three times (and the one 'Cuse win was at home, in OT)..."

Actually, the SU OT victory was in the BET, in the Garden.

As a Cuse fan it would be SOOOOOOOOOOO SWEEEEEEEEEEEET to cut down the nets on georgetowns home court

Latest posts

Back