• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Strength at QB

GrizSpartan

DONOR
Last year we struggled with new kids taking over the offense. We were green at QB and at wide receiver. With JJ back and inspired like he is and several talented kids backing him up, this becomes a position of strength for the team. I can't remember ever having this much experience and talent at the QB position. I've been told that JJ is as strong as ever and is throwing the ball 10 yards further than he ever has. He will be a man on a mission. With Trent and Shay behind him we should be solid in all our games at this vital position. We might end up having an epic year.

I agree this team could have an amazing year. I thought we were loaded coming into this year with the exception of good quarterbacking and leadership. I think we have arguably the best o-line, d-line, and linebacking corp in the big sky. It's been awhile since we were this good at as many positions. we shall what becomes of the secondary.

We have experience in the secondary. I am sure we will see improved play. We also have depth in almost all positions. I will be interested to see how we do with the tight end situation. We have a glaring
red flag there. It will be fun to watch the progress there.

Alaska Griz said:
I agree this team could have an amazing year. I thought we were loaded coming into this year with the exception of good quarterbacking and leadership. I think we have arguably the best o-line, d-line, and linebacking corp in the big sky. It's been awhile since we were this good at as many positions. we shall what becomes of the secondary.

GrizSpartan said:
We have experience in the secondary. I am sure we will see improved play. We also have depth in almost all positions. I will be interested to see how we do with the tight end situation. We have a glaring red flag there. It will be fun to watch the progress there.

Whats so interesting about the TE situation?

grizcountry420 said:
GrizSpartan said:
We have experience in the secondary. I am sure we will see improved play. We also have depth in almost all positions. I will be interested to see how we do with the tight end situation. We have a glaring red flag there. It will be fun to watch the progress there.

The lack of returning experience I presume. Would be sweet if White is able to play and play anywhere near his previous potential.

secondary play will be better. A year of experience under their belt and, if for no other reason, they will not be living on the field like they did last year. Better rest and more offensive output will mean good things for this defense. My only questions is, with JJ back, who is most likely to leave?

I wouldnt get too worried about TE the way we utilize them. If they catch 15 balls a season we are excited

grizfan95 said:
grizcountry420 said:
GrizSpartan said:

The lack of returning experience I presume. Would be sweet if White is able to play and play anywhere near his previous potential.

Im not too worried about that.. We dont use our TE anyways.

grizcountry420 said:
grizfan95 said:
grizcountry420 said:
GrizSpartan said:

Im not too worried about that.. We dont use our TE anyways.

We didn't last year, when we didn't have a QB who could throw. During JJ's sophomore year I remember Middleton having TD's against Cal Poly and Bozeman State, as well as a big(ish) game against Central Arkansas.

Now that JJ is for sure coming back, I'm sure Curtis White is busting his hump trying to get back his mojo.

If he can, TE problem solved. :cool:

grizfan95 said:
grizcountry420 said:
GrizSpartan said:

Watch for the Richards kid to make some noise.

I hope our cast of receivers can catch a ball. Mitch Saylor was a let down last year and hope he really steps up this year...he has mad skills! This will JJ post Sambrono era....

reinell30 said:
I hope our cast of receivers can catch a ball. Mitch Saylor was a let down last year and hope he really steps up this year...he has mad skills! This will JJ post Sambrono era....
I think you will see a lot of people step up now that they have a qb that will lead them and hold them accountable.

fanofzoo said:
grizfan95 said:
grizcountry420 said:
GrizSpartan said:
I'll believe it when I see it, and i'm a Butte guy, so i'm pulling for him, but the kid can't catch a cold.

garizzalies said:
fanofzoo said:
grizfan95 said:
grizcountry420 said:
I'll believe it when I see it, and i'm a Butte guy, so i'm pulling for him, but the kid can't catch a cold

Well, now we know who the blocking TE is.

I actually thought the WR's played their guts out last year. The notion they didn't play hard or step up because the Griz didn't have a capable QB is BS, and IF any of them didn't play their hardest last year, they should lose there scholarship. But I didn't see that. They played hard EVERY DOWN OF EVERY GAME. By the fourth game of the season, they knew they were in there to block downfield and they blocked their asses off. That's why most of them were banged up bad by the end of the year. I know Gratton played hurt the entire season. Ellis Henderson was undersized and blocked his ass off and took a beating. Saylor was hurt for part of the season and so was Walcott. Almost all as a result of the Griz being a run heavy team and them doing what they could to help that.

havgrizfan said:
I actually thought the WR's played their guts out last year. The notion they didn't play hard or step up because the Griz didn't have a capable QB is BS, and IF any of them didn't play their hardest last year, they should lose there scholarship. But I didn't see that. They played hard EVERY DOWN OF EVERY GAME. By the fourth game of the season, they knew they were in there to block downfield and they blocked their asses off. That's why most of them were banged up bad by the end of the year. I know Gratton played hurt the entire season. Ellis Henderson was undersized and blocked his ass off and took a beating. Saylor was hurt for part of the season and so was Walcott. Almost all as a result of the Griz being a run heavy team and them doing what they could to help that.
Agreed 100%. I am fine with both the returning talent at WR and the incoming talent at WR. :thumb: :thumb:

My only concern is the lack of QB coaching. JJ benefited from coaching from Pflu and Smith, who both have a great deal of knowlege on coaching and developing QBs. I don't see that resource this year. Kefense has some good experience coaching offenses, but I don't see very extensive experience with him coaching and developing QBs. Not sure if it's a big concern or not. I really don't know anything about Kefense other than his bio, but something I noticed that might be lacking...

havgrizfan said:

Albeit by the end of the season this is true....however, there were many passes to Saylor from Trent McKinney, early in the season that he plain just didn't catch. When that happens as much as it did, a QB tends to look elsewhere, and in this case was always short or over throws.

Not hauling them in and not trying your hardest are NOT always mutually exclusive. I REFUSE to believe that anyone who put on that Silver helmet in 2012 didn't bust their ass for 11 games as hard as they could. I watched every second every one of them and EVERY Griz player I saw went balls out. And I ESPECIALLY didn't see receivers dogging it because of bad QB play, as a select few have claimed. It just didn't happen. If you don't believe me, feel free to ask Sam Gratton or Bryce Carver if they thought their receiver group was dogging plays or not stepping up to be spiteful of the QB situation.

Back