• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Story on Glenn and other coaches

GoodGodGriz

DONOR
This was emailed to me earlier this week, kind of a funny story.
=============================
Homes on the range

Glenn's staff has settled into 'Coaches Gulch'

By [email protected]
Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Sports Columnist
Sunday, October 19, 2003 - LARAMIE - Wyoming coach Joe Glenn lives where everyone knows his name. Wearing a winning smile, he rolls down the street on his way to work. "Hi, Jenise!" yells Glenn, punctuating the greeting by sticking a friendly hand out the truck window to wave.

"Hello, Suzie!"

This is the beauty of a small town taken to the extreme. The coaches of the Cowboys football team win together, lose together and go home together. They live on the same street. Side-by-side. A mile north of campus, the brand-new, ever-so-humble homes of nine - count 'em, nine - members on the Wyoming athletic staff stand all in a row.

"I call it Coaches Gulch," Glenn says.

Imagine, if you can, waking up every morning, knotting the strings of your robe, tip-toeing across the lawn to fetch the newspaper, and peering down the block through sleep-bleary eyes, only to see everybody from the office in their pajamas, toasting you with a cup of coffee.

Weird, very weird.

"As far as a living situation, it's probably not what everybody would pick," Glenn says. "No, I admit. I've never heard of a coaching staff all living on the same street. But what difference does it make? We're all together all the time anyway. We all have kids. And the wives all like each other. What, are you thinking it's like a hippie commune from the '60s? No way.

"Although it is unusual, I don't think it's weird. Of course, if you're from a big city like Denver or Chicago or Los Angeles and hear all the coaches of one college football team live on the same street, I know you're probably thinking, 'What the heck?"'

When the first-year coach rode into town with his football posse, the Glenn gang needed beds and a hearth to bunk down. Rather than scattering all over tarnation, searching real-estate ads for shady spots throughout the country, these Cowboys decided to homestead, 21st century style.

After Glenn put down stakes in a new residential development within shouting distance of War Memorial Stadium, seven of his assistants, plus the school's strength coach and an athletic department fundraiser, followed the boss down the same trail. They are building houses, almost all now ready for occupancy, on adjoining lots.

On Coaches Gulch, Beaver Cleaver is not the boy next door. Marty English, the Wyoming linebackers coach is. His neighbor is the Bill Cockhill family, home of the Pokes' offensive coordinator. Need to borrow a cup of sugar or the hedge clippers? Go ask Chad Germer, teacher of pass-protection schemes to young linemen.

"Being the bachelor in the neighborhood, I'm going to follow my nose and walk down the street, looking to get a home-cooked meal whenever I can," says Harvey Patton, the running backs coach. "Teams talk about being family. I know one thing for sure. This living situation will absolutely bring us closer together."

Literally.

The mailboxes on the street should not hang numbers, but X's and O's. A visitor could run down the block and tackle almost every man with a hand in the Wyoming game plan.

How many yards can it be from the front door of Patton, who resides on the corner, past seven football families who bleed brown and gold, until you reach the far end of Coaches Gulch and the driveway of Jared Newland, development officer of the Cowboy Joe Club?

"I don't know exactly how long it takes to go from one end of our block to the other. I guess it depends which way that famous Wyoming wind is blowing," strength coach Scott Bennett says. "With the wind at your back, it's no more than one solid kickoff and a pooch punt to cover the front yards of all nine houses. We could take the coaches out and make them run 40-yard dashes in the street."

The Pokes are more than a football team. They're neighbors. Glenn lives in the same subdivision, five blocks away, so his coaches can grill a burger and sip a beer on the back patio without feeling as if they're under 24-hour surveillance by the foreman.

"It's kind of like a mining town," Wyoming sports information director Kevin McKinney says.

Hi, ho! Hi, ho! It's off to work they go.

For guys who punch the clock at 7:30 a.m. in the weight room and often do not turn out the lights in the film room until after 10 at night, living so close to campus makes sense.

"It's not even a full country-and-western song from work," says the 54-year-old Glenn, who compiled an impressive 137-41 record at Montana and Northern Colorado, winning three small-college national titles along the way before landing a job in Laramie. "You jump in the car and before you can get your singing pipes warmed up, you're at the office. It's barely a five-minute commute."

Through his long-standing ties in the Rocky Mountain region, Glenn knew a Colorado-based general contractor willing to make him an offer these Cowboys could not refuse. The custom homes have been built at an 8 percent discount, according to Glenn. The sweetheart deals raised a few envious eyebrows in a tight-knit community of 27,000 folks, where nobody's business stays a secret for long.

When Hillary Clinton wrote "It Takes a Village," is this really what she had in mind? Television rounds up complete strangers and maroons them on an island. Will the Cowboys be tempted to vote a member of their tribe off the block? Stay tuned.

Riding shotgun with Glenn as he cruises down the road, as spouses of Wyoming coaches bustle through open front doors, it is difficult not to imagine the insular world created by Hollywood in "The Truman Show," where the naive movie character played by Jim Carrey repeats a morning ritual with the happy, shiny people who are his neighbors, announcing to them all: "Good morning! Oh, in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night!"

The truth of this Cowboys' coaching corral is stranger than just about any fiction a man could imagine.

"Like the Stepford Wives?" says Glenn, laughing.

Are they all too close for comfort? Nah, insists Glenn, these Cowboys of Coaches Gulch want to saddle up and ride into a bright future. Together.

"The only bad thing is," says Glenn, whose team carried a 2-4 record into this weekend's game against Brigham Young, "if we don't start winning some football games around here, one bomb could get us all."

How funny....and then the newspaper does an article on it making him look all the more "Down home" that he is.

ONLY Joe Glenn!

I'm telling you- he'll be the Governor of Wyoming before it's all through!

Go Griz!

Latest posts

Back