• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stanford's O line

alabamagrizzly

Did anyone notice how low they get in their stance. They look a bunch of really stout British bulldogs out there. They're garenteeing that they get under the defenses pads to get a good push. They look like they are trying to push a VW off their mom.

Yeah...It was gratifying to see the NCAA' billionaire college football team (Team Nike) get their a$$es handed to them. I'm a redundant poster of BLOCKING and TACKLING and it was under a microscope last night. Getting pressure on the quarterback, and punching him in the mouth also helps shape the game to your teams "style". It would be awesome to see the GRIZ get 3 or 4 sacks tomorrow! GO GRIZ!!!! :egriz:

anyone who thinks that old time football ie. i formation or pistol with tight ends and lead fullback cannot win in these days is fooling themselves....with an o-line with an attitude and solid defense,,,, should have seen how Stanford dominated Oregon...this was smash mouth football at its best....great to watch imo.....time of possession means something in the game of football....the griz can be such a team and has more of a chance of recruiting these types of players as well imo...go griz...

But Stanford was so predictable.....running the ball on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th down. Their coaches need to mix things up a little!! They must have dual OC's that don't know much about coaching.

Mousegriz said:
But Stanford was so predictable.....running the ball on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th down. Their coaches need to mix things up a little!! They must have dual OC's that don't know much about coaching.
If your O-line can dominate than you can be predictable. Ours doesn't

This is also how NDSU wins. Nothing really flashy or surprising. They just assert their will upon you with solid OL play. You can blitz, stunt, twist, whatever and their linemen hold their blocking lanes and maintain their blocks until after the whistle blows. They are very big, very strong, and very disciplined. Call it attitude if you want but certainly Stanford's OL didn't commit or need to commit penalties to get their job done so the attitude doesn't have to be mean or bad. To me it is commitment and determination fortified by a whole lot of pride. I am not sure which (if any) of these the Griz are missing but I hope they make a statement this weekend. It is their chance to step it up and peak in November like the Griz of the past.

krammer said:
anyone who thinks that old time football ie. i formation or pistol with tight ends and lead fullback cannot win in these days is fooling themselves....with an o-line with an attitude and solid defense,,,, should have seen how Stanford dominated Oregon...this was smash mouth football at its best....great to watch imo.....time of possession means something in the game of football....the griz can be such a team and has more of a chance of recruiting these types of players as well imo...go griz...

The pistol formation is not old time football. It has only been exclusively used in the last ten years and was mostly popularized by Nevada's coach, Chris Ault. It is a hybrid between a single back formation and the shotgun formation. There are no blocking backs utilized. The pistol is used a lot for zone read offenses and it is about as far away from old school i-formation football as you can get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense

The major difference is we don't have any blocking tight ends right now to run our so called pro-style offense. Pierson is basically a first year tight end as is Harper. Hagfors is undersized as are the other two. I am not opposed to running that kind of offense, but you have to have all the horses up front to do it. You also have to win on first down. You can't be second and 9, 10 or 11 like the griz have been this year.

go96griz said:
krammer said:

The pistol formation is not old time football. It has only been exclusively used in the last ten years and was mostly popularized by Nevada's coach, Chris Ault. It is a hybrid between a single back formation and the shotgun formation. There are no blocking backs utilized. The pistol is used a lot for zone read offenses and it is about as far away from old school i-formation football as you can get.

first, thank you for setting me straight, I will just go with the I formation...feel better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense

Grisly Fan said:
This is also how NDSU wins. Nothing really flashy or surprising. They just assert their will upon you with solid OL play. You can blitz, stunt, twist, whatever and their linemen hold their blocking lanes and maintain their blocks until after the whistle blows. They are very big, very strong, and very disciplined. Call it attitude if you want but certainly Stanford's OL didn't commit or need to commit penalties to get their job done so the attitude doesn't have to be mean or bad. To me it is commitment and determination fortified by a whole lot of pride. I am not sure which (if any) of these the Griz are missing but I hope they make a statement this weekend. It is their chance to step it up and peak in November like the Griz of the past.

this is also true of Alabama.....

Grisly Fan said:
Just like Griz teams under Hauck. They may not run the ball that well in the 1st quarter but will own the LOS in the 4th. They imposed their will.

Back