• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Practices

GrizRanger

Stopped by to watch some of the Spring Practices. Things seem to be going well, although I think someone should tell General Von Appen to lighten up. He's on the defensive line as if they were new cadets at West Point or new recruits at Parris Island!

Oh the image in my mind you created!

*Standing in front of a huge Griz flag*

*Wearing a full suit of maroon and silver*

*Whipping around a crop and slapping it on his clipboard*

Gen. Von AppenPatton:

I want you to remember that no bastard every won a game by sitting on his butt after being pancake blocked. He won it by knocking the other poor dumb bastard flat on his arse. All this stuff you heard about Grizzlies not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the trenches is a lot of horse dung. Grizzlies traditionally love to fight. All real Grizzlies love the sting of battle. Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory. I don't fear failure. I only fear the slowing up of the engine inside of me which is pounding, saying, "Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?" A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood. Rememeber all these things and the squeal of this pig will truly float on the air, from the tummy of the Grizzly bear!

Practices have been like a real football camp not the cc Glenn ran. The kids run on and off the field...no grab ass ect...Yes General V yells alot but he gets their attention.. Another observation is Disney has been more accurate on his throws than Ochs. He also seems to be more of a leader. Disney talks to his team mates and cheers them on...Havent heard much out of Ochs.. This could be because he is new...Both Proctor and LV went down yesterday..It looked like LV took a shot to the ribs and will be OK but Proctor went off on crutches with a knee. Talmage was walking around practice with his arm in a sling but should be fine for fall.

Jeff Disney's also been practicing with the team for a good year now. If anything, our quarterback competition will only motivate them both to be better.

It should be exciting, but this is just a thought that I would like everyone to respond to. Doesn't it seem likely that pretty much no matter what, Ochs will be the starting quarterback when the season starts, and he will have to play rather inconsistent and unspectacular to lose the job to Disney? I just think, and I could be way off, but it would be a tough sell for a first time head coach to hand the starting job to a jc transfer over what could be the highest-profile transfer the UM has ever had. I mean, Ochs was ranked in the top-ten 1A quarterbacks in some publications last year, so Disney would have to be amazing or Hauck would be second guessed, but then again, those are the type of tough decisions coaches have to make. Any thoughts?

grzz said:
It should be exciting, but this is just a thought that I would like everyone to respond to. Doesn't it seem likely that pretty much no matter what, Ochs will be the starting quarterback when the season starts, and he will have to play rather inconsistent and unspectacular to lose the job to Disney? I just think, and I could be way off, but it would be a tough sell for a first time head coach to hand the starting job to a jc transfer over what could be the highest-profile transfer the UM has ever had. I mean, Ochs was ranked in the top-ten 1A quarterbacks in some publications last year, so Disney would have to be amazing or Hauck would be second guessed, but then again, those are the type of tough decisions coaches have to make. Any thoughts?

Yes, I would like to weigh in on this. If Hauck gives the starting QB job to Ochs just because of his status last year and he isn't "messing up too bad" this year, then that is a bunch of crap. He better pick the best QB out there, personally I don't have a preference who it is, Ochs or Disney. I would like to see them both get playing time in the first couple games of the season and then make a solid decision based on game performance. Disney has been with the team for a year but that doesn't mean that he knows the playbook any better than Ochs, because we got a new coach with a different playbook and they are all starting over.

I think it is looking like a pretty even race right now, if I was the coach (and I am not) I could care less what the player had done in the past. The issue is "what can you do for me now". I have no intention of second guessing Coach Haucks decision, I know he wants to win football games and I think he is less of a politician than Joe Glenn, so I believe Hauck will put the best players out on the field and thank his lucky stars that he has a damn good back up QB, whoever he may be.

We will never know the answer to this but hypothetically, what if Disney was just a hair better than Ochs but Ochs got the starting job based on his past history and Ochs lead us to an 11-1 regular season. What if Disney could have lead us to a 12-0 regular season, wouldn't you want the best player out on the field? Like I said, we will never know the answer to that question but if Hauck picks a player because he is a high profile transfer and not the best player out there then I think I would lose respect for Hauck. Right now, I just can't believe that he would do that.

I am drooling at the thought of either QB going in and airing it out, they both have cannons for arms and I will go out on a limb and say we should lead all of 1-AA next year in yards passing and scoring offense.

Division 1-A quarterbacks, on the whole, are vastly superior to Division 1-AA quarterbacks. Just look at Josh Blankenship at Eastern Washington. Sure, he was a starter at Tulsa, but Tulsa is the Idaho of the Southwest. Look at Drew Miller. Right or wrong, Drew couldn't nail down the starting spot at BYU but was All-American at Montana. Look at Craig Nall at Northwestern State. He was on the bench at LSU but a stud at Northwestern State.

Ochs was a big loss for Colorado. He was widely considered to be one of the best quarterbacks in Division 1-A. He's a QB who fits into a passing offense, not the running offense CU went to under Barnett. Still, he was the clear starter at CU. I don't know anything about Disney either but I'll be floored if Ochs is not the starter.

I like the experience that Ochs bring to the table. I mean this guy has started , and done very well, for a team that has sky high expectations every year. CU expects to compete on the national level.

He has played in huge games, and in front of HUGE crowds! Some of those Huge crowds being the very hostile type. He finished as CU's all time leading freshman passer....adhead of Koey Detmer, who is the second stringer for the Phili Eagels.

These are things that can not be judged on the spring practice field. But rather in games of significance..........I don't think that Disney, as good as he may throw the ball, brings the same package to the table.

Having said that....I am not the coach, and I trust the coaches to make the right pick. Also....if Disney starts, I have no doubt that he is a STUD!!!! He would have to be to beat out Ochs......and either way, the Griz will be in good hands.

I tend to agree that it would be ridiculous if Ochs got the job solely based on where he came from. Kind of like Simms and Appwhite at Texas, in a sense. But I agree with what was said about Hauck being less of a politician than Glenn, so I feel he will go with whomever is doing the best in preactice.

I am curious how VonAppen's "generalship" compares with that of Billy Cockhills?
The players i knew that played for Fred loved him, for the most part.

cadwiz30 said:
grzz said:
I have no intention of second guessing Coach Haucks decision, I know he wants to win football games and I think he is less of a politician than Joe Glenn, so I believe Hauck will put the best players out on the field and thank his lucky stars that he has a damn good back up QB, whoever he may be.

You said it well, Bobby Hauck has some talent on the roster. Both quarterbacks will probably play, because of injury. We learned that lesson last year with our defensive line and defensive backs.

I am looking forward to a more aggressive offensive gameplan, compared to the conservative play-calling in recent years. It will be interesting to learn more about our O-Coordinator and D-Coordinator's philosophies.

Go Griz!

Boy, you guys are right. That Ochs--correct spelling--better stop preparing for Oklahoma and Texas and get down to the business of Idaho State, Northern Arizona and the bobcats. If the caliber of receivers in this league don't give him trouble, I'm sure the defenses will.

Come on. We're less than a week into spring practice and a quarterback controversy is already brewing? I'll bet there will be many days this April when Ochs says more to his receivers than Disney does. I'll bet there will be times when one will look more crisp than the other--even to the untrained eye of a fan watching from a distance.

Let's not start this crap before these guys set foot on the field. At this rate, we'll be booing the starter before the end of the season. And he'll end his college career disgusted with football and pointng fingers at the fans -- Uh, wait that was the last guy.

That is why I say that I TRUST the coaches choice........BUT football is a performanced based job. If you don't get it done, then.......

And we all have opinions. :wink:

This would be a pretty boring message board if we all had the same opinion.

I just don't see a QB controversy happening, we are allowed to discuss it and I believe I said "I have no intention of second guessing Coach Haucks decision". No controversy here. I also think that if a QB controversy starts being discussed in the media when fall practices start, Hauck will put the issue to rest.

I do believe General Von Appen ought to lighten up a little, but in no way do I compare him to Cockhill. Cockhill frequently degraded players with profanity laden remarks. General Von Appen may use some spicy language, but I think he is supportive, and has a sense of humor.

I refer to him as " General" because he seems to make players stand at attention a lot, and trots them around the field with some yelling "D" and others "Line", which seems like boot camp to me. Most of these players are pretty bright and enthusiastic. I think the boot camp philosophy can be counter-productive in a college football camp. You don't want to stifle the players enthusiasm for the game. I think he should focus on conditioning and teach techniques, which from his experience he must know a lot about. The guy has been around the block and may know what he is doing, but to a lay observer who loves Grizzly football I think he needs to lighten up. Only time will tell.

In regards, to Ochs and Disney, all I got to say is how fortunate Griz are to have two such talented QB's. They both have rocket arms, and can run, although Ochs seems a little quicker. With injury potential the way it is, no matter who starts this Fall, I suspect both QB's could get good playing time.

I think the Griz have another scrimmage at the stadium on Friday afternoon at 3:30 PM, but will have the rest of Easter weekend off. They also practice Thursday afternoon.

Nothing but egg dying and church Saturday and Sunday. Friday scrimmage should be a good one, though. Expect more passing, three, maybe four wides.

Remember when people actually attended practice and posted information and then we discussed, prognosticated, predicted, and argued about that information?
It’s 19 years later and all we can do is periodically check the team roster for information.

Latest posts

Back