• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring camp players on the rise

BWahlberg

DONOR
We are 3 practices and 1 scrimmage away from the conclusion of spring ball. I thought I'd put up a post on some players that have been making an impression in the two scrimmages who will be looked upon to be contributors this coming year.

#45 Jeremiah Kose - MLB. Kose was still recovering from knee surgery in the fall and had to shut it down after just a few practices. In both scrimmages he showed why there was so much excitement around him. He's a big and powerful guy, hits hard, and has shown great lateral speed to track down ball carriers that go outside the tackles. His blitzing looked better in the 2nd scrimmage. He's a great backup to maybe the best middle line backer in the Big Sky (Coyle) and will be able to help keep Brock fresh by playing multiple series in each game.

#97 Ryan Johnson - DE. Wow, where did Ryan come from? I honestly don't recall a thing about him from fall camp, the two spring scrimmages I think he's got a combined 3 sacks, at least 2 TFLs, and one tremendous interception. Ryan Johnson, along with known quantity Tyrone Holmes, Derek Crittenden and Zach Peevey represent the long-term future of this team at DE. We all know about Holmes but Johnson and Peevey have impressed me with a more powerful rush style and are better than Holmes (in what I've seen) against the rush. Crittenden will rotate in and play this year as well, he had a pretty solid 2nd scrimmage. The future at DE is bright thanks to Ryan, Derek, and Zach.

#44 Caleb Kidder - DT. Kidder looked like a true freshman in fall camp, adapting to the speed of college football. He ramped it up as he was called upon more and more during the season. Now locked in at DT he's reminding me of watching Bryan Waldhauser. Quick out of his stance and great when positioning himself and fighting off blockers with his hands.

#2 Taylor Walcott - WR. While I'd bet Ellis Henderson will be the stats leader for our WRs I'd put money on Taylor being 2nd in most receiving categories. JJ loves throwing to Taylor and so far I've seen some Mariani-esque catching out of this guy (catches most all thrown his way). Taylor had some in-game experience and will be rotating in and out with Saylor, Henderson, and Haynes but of all the WRs him and Henderson have been (what I've seen) JJ's favorite two targets.

#8 Travon Van - RB. Lots of chatter about this guy but I've got to say of all the people I've talked to who have watched practice, been at scrimmages, and talked with current players on the team - there's a lot of excitement about Travon. Real good speed, shifty, pretty good ball-carrier vision. Van and Canada with Counts and Kirschner represent quite the stable of running backs this team has, and I didn't even mention...

#25 Marlon Miles - RB. I'm not totally sure how much contribution Marlon will have, in terms of getting carries he's shown some good stuff especially once out in the open field. I doubt he'll be a power carrier and wonder about his vision and ability to run through a gap or power through arm-tackles. What really has impressed me about Marlon is when he's in space and running with the ball. I've read about the praise he's received as a pass-blocker and have seen first hand that he has success with screens/check-downs. Marlon could be the only guy on the team that provides that scat-back type of option like we've had with Peter Nguyen. I wonder if they're giving him looks as a PR/KR....

#31 Justin Whitted - S. I'm trying to remember but I think he had a pick in both scrimmages, the one yesterday coming against JJ. Whitted has shown some pop too and with what I've seen from him he's taking better angles to the ball carriers and wrapping up well. He'll presumably be a backup this year but I expect some good stuff on ST and if he keeps this pace up he might get some time rotating in as well at safety.

#70 Ben Weyer - G. Ben went from being a 3rd string guard to starting in place of the recovering Will Poehls. Poehls is a senior so seeing Ben rise up to his current role (and do pretty well at it) gives me good hope for that spot in the years to come. We've got a few great prospects for the future in Weyer, Todd, and the other 3 RS-frosh on the team.

#1 Anthony Goodwin - CB. Right now I'd peg him our #1 corner that's going to get the assignment of the top WRs we face this season. Anthony has appeared to have taken a more verbal role in the passing defense. A good testament to his coverage has been the fact that in two scrimmages I've seen practically no passes come his way. Him and Josh Dennard strike me as the two corners that are more physical in rush-defense as well. Goodwin is going to catch a few teams by surprise early I think.

BWahlberg said:
We are 3 practices and 1 scrimmage away from the conclusion of spring ball. I thought I'd put up a post on some players that have been making an impression in the two scrimmages who will be looked upon to be contributors this coming year.

#45 Jeremiah Kose - MLB. Kose was still recovering from knee surgery in the fall and had to shut it down after just a few practices. In both scrimmages he showed why there was so much excitement around him. He's a big and powerful guy, hits hard, and has shown great lateral speed to track down ball carriers that go outside the tackles. His blitzing looked better in the 2nd scrimmage. He's a great backup to maybe the best middle line backer in the Big Sky (Coyle) and will be able to help keep Brock fresh by playing multiple series in each game.

#97 Ryan Johnson - DE. Wow, where did Ryan come from? I honestly don't recall a thing about him from fall camp, the two spring scrimmages I think he's got a combined 3 sacks, at least 2 TFLs, and one tremendous interception. Ryan Johnson, along with known quantity Tyrone Holmes, Derek Crittenden and Zach Peevey represent the long-term future of this team at DE. We all know about Holmes but Johnson and Peevey have impressed me with a more powerful rush style and are better than Holmes (in what I've seen) against the rush. Crittenden will rotate in and play this year as well, he had a pretty solid 2nd scrimmage. The future at DE is bright thanks to Ryan, Derek, and Zach.

#44 Caleb Kidder - DT. Kidder looked like a true freshman in fall camp, adapting to the speed of college football. He ramped it up as he was called upon more and more during the season. Now locked in at DT he's reminding me of watching Bryan Waldhauser. Quick out of his stance and great when positioning himself and fighting off blockers with his hands.

#2 Taylor Walcott - WR. While I'd bet Ellis Henderson will be the stats leader for our WRs I'd put money on Taylor being 2nd in most receiving categories. JJ loves throwing to Taylor and so far I've seen some Mariani-esque catching out of this guy (catches most all thrown his way). Taylor had some in-game experience and will be rotating in and out with Saylor, Henderson, and Haynes but of all the WRs him and Henderson have been (what I've seen) JJ's favorite two targets.

#8 Travon Van - RB. Lots of chatter about this guy but I've got to say of all the people I've talked to who have watched practice, been at scrimmages, and talked with current players on the team - there's a lot of excitement about Travon. Real good speed, shifty, pretty good ball-carrier vision. Van and Canada with Counts and Kirschner represent quite the stable of running backs this team has, and I didn't even mention...

#25 Marlon Miles - RB. I'm not totally sure how much contribution Marlon will have, in terms of getting carries he's shown some good stuff especially once out in the open field. I doubt he'll be a power carrier and wonder about his vision and ability to run through a gap or power through arm-tackles. What really has impressed me about Marlon is when he's in space and running with the ball. I've read about the praise he's received as a pass-blocker and have seen first hand that he has success with screens/check-downs. Marlon could be the only guy on the team that provides that scat-back type of option like we've had with Peter Nguyen. I wonder if they're giving him looks as a PR/KR....

#31 Justin Whitted - S. I'm trying to remember but I think he had a pick in both scrimmages, the one yesterday coming against JJ. Whitted has shown some pop too and with what I've seen from him he's taking better angles to the ball carriers and wrapping up well. He'll presumably be a backup this year but I expect some good stuff on ST and if he keeps this pace up he might get some time rotating in as well at safety.

#70 Ben Weyer - G. Ben went from being a 3rd string guard to starting in place of the recovering Will Poehls. Poehls is a senior so seeing Ben rise up to his current role (and do pretty well at it) gives me good hope for that spot in the years to come. We've got a few great prospects for the future in Weyer, Todd, and the other 3 RS-frosh on the team.

#1 Anthony Goodwin - CB. Right now I'd peg him our #1 corner that's going to get the assignment of the top WRs we face this season. Anthony has appeared to have taken a more verbal role in the passing defense. A good testament to his coverage has been the fact that in two scrimmages I've seen practically no passes come his way. Him and Josh Dennard strike me as the two corners that are more physical in rush-defense as well. Goodwin is going to catch a few teams by surprise early I think.

Thanks for your analysis, much appreciated as always. You and others seem pretty high on Henderson, so I just wanted to check something. (Could be my faulty memory, but...) it seemed Ellis had a hard time making yards after the catch. Thoughts?

I don't really recall that, from Ellis last year I remember two games with some younger player errors though. The EWU game where he caught a pass with just a few seconds left, had the 1st down, but didn't go out of bounds or get on the ground to stop the clock, setting up another play. There was something else, can't recall what it was though - another error maybe after catching the ball or something.

Ellis is more of a down-field threat kind of guy, although in the scrimmage he had one nice short catch and made a diving corner miss him. I think he'll be fine.

So far this spring really only Henderson and Walcott have continually impressed me. He's been quiet in the two scrimmages but I know Cam Warren has had lots of press from the gogriz.com write-ups as well and Saylor did too before he got banged up. It would strike me that Walcott/Haynes/Saylor/Warren will be our main WRs. I could see Naccarato and Haynes getting some reps two - these two guys I was hoping for a lot more from. Granted I've only seen two scrimmages but I've not seen a lot of write-ups on these two either.

I had pretty huge expectations for Jesse Ginn but he seemingly has fallen off the radar on egriz and also any team reports that I have see. What observations does anyone have about him, his performance and his potential?

I recall the other error from Henderson that stuck out, the UND game where he had a seam up the middle, late - maybe even the last Griz possession of the (or 2nd last). SSH puts the ball right on the money and Ellis drops it. That stuff happens, but I'm thinking he's used those events to motivate him to get better this year - and he wasn't too bad last year!

Griz1 said:
I had pretty huge expectations for Jesse Ginn but he seemingly has fallen off the radar on egriz and also any team reports that I have see. What observations does anyone have about him, his performance and his potential?

I've only seen two scrimmages but I've seen nothing from Ginn.

Not to say these guys have not had good springs or bad springs but in the scrimmage there's a list of guys I was really looking forward to seeing progression from but have not. Sean Murray, Jesse Ginn, Chase Naccarato, Samson Kalekini, the whole kicking game, Sean Haynes, Aschan Richards, JR Nelson, and Brady Gustafson have all been guys that I was really thinking were going to make a rise and bigger impact this spring. They may have been, but I haven't seen that from them in the two scrimmages I saw.

BWahlberg said:
I recall the other error from Henderson that stuck out, the UND game where he had a seam up the middle, late - maybe even the last Griz possession of the (or 2nd last). SSH puts the ball right on the money and Ellis drops it. That stuff happens, but I'm thinking he's used those events to motivate him to get better this year - and he wasn't too bad last year!

:coffee:

Griz1 said:

Jesse is his own worse enemy. He is easy to like, and pull for. I am guessing, he is just lacking that extra push that only can be given by himself. If, he were to ever be 100% focused on developing his God given skills, nobody could stop him. Jesse, please push yourself 100%, and live the dream you deserve to live. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
Griz1 said:

Jesse is his own worse enemy. He is easy to like, and pull for. I am guessing, he is just lacking that extra push that only can be given by himself. If, he were to ever be 100% focused on developing his God given skills, nobody could stop him. Jesse, please push yourself 100%, and live the dream you deserve to live. :thumb:

I would love to see him step up this year. I think that our D-line coach is a hidden gem on this team. We've got maybe one of the most talented top to bottom D-lines this year and maybe the single best DE (Wags) and DT (Bienemann) in the conference. Legi has coached this unit up really well... Ginn is the outlier right now and hasn't shown much. I would love to see him step it up, I believe he has "it" as well to become a great DT in the Big Sky.

mikegriz said:
You and others seem pretty high on Henderson, so I just wanted to check something. (Could be my faulty memory, but...) it seemed Ellis had a hard time making yards after the catch. Thoughts?

http://new.berecruited.com/athletes/571027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a youtube.com caption it stated that E. Henderson led the entire State of Washington football in YAC (yards after catch) - this after his junior year. Both Scouts and Rivals rated him the #2 WR from Washington.

BWahlberg said:

B-dub, I did not see any TEs on the list? Do you think they will play a smaller role in the passing game, and be used as blockers for any type of swing pass/check down ? There has to be at least one that can get that 7 yards for the 1st.

BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:
Griz1 said:

I would love to see him step up this year. I think that our D-line coach is a hidden gem on this team. We've got maybe one of the most talented top to bottom D-lines this year and maybe the single best DE (Wags) and DT (Bienemann) in the conference. Legi has coached this unit up really well... Ginn is the outlier right now and hasn't shown much. I would love to see him step it up, I believe he has "it" as well to become a great DT in the Big Sky.

I too had big hopes for Jesse, but he doesn't seem to be motivated. I don't know why, maybe he is just lazy, hope not. It may be that he has such a class act in front of him that it may discourage him a little. Just saying.

Pounder29 said:
B-dub, I did not see any TEs on the list? Do you think they will play a smaller role in the passing game, and be used as blockers for any type of swing pass/check down ? There has to be at least one that can get that 7 yards for the 1st.

Tough to say, I think in the 1st scrimmage Pierson had 1 grab, in the 2nd Johnathon Richards had 1. Our two transfers/new arrivals have been dinged up and limited...

I'll be looking for that in the 3rd scrimmage, presumably the weather will allow for the passing game to show more.

As blockers it seems they've been doing good, both Richards and Pierson fit that role well, they're strong and get a good push up front. Add in the use of Hagfors as an H-back and when the offense went to the strong side they'd usually have good success.

BWahlberg said:
The EWU game where he caught a pass with just a few seconds left, had the 1st down, but didn't go out of bounds or get on the ground to stop the clock, setting up another play.
That was a bonehead mistake most high school receivers would not have made. He's got to improve his thinking or he will cost us again.

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
The EWU game where he caught a pass with just a few seconds left, had the 1st down, but didn't go out of bounds or get on the ground to stop the clock, setting up another play.
That was a bonehead mistake most high school receivers would not have made. He's got to improve his thinking or he will cost us again.
I remember this all to well. I was screaming at the tv at the Grandstand Sports Bar while the cat fan behind me was laughing. UgH.

BWahlberg said:
Pounder29 said:

Tough to say, I think in the 1st scrimmage Pierson had 1 grab, in the 2nd Johnathon Richards had 1. Our two transfers/new arrivals have been dinged up and limited...

I'll be looking for that in the 3rd scrimmage, presumably the weather will allow for the passing game to show more.

As blockers it seems they've been doing good, both Richards and Pierson fit that role well, they're strong and get a good push up front. Add in the use of Hagfors as an H-back and when the offense went to the strong side they'd usually have good success.

I remember reviewing a game last season where Pierson was on the the line of special team kicks and he was ran over and put on his back a couple different times in one game. He was the only one... it was embarassing. Hope he stands his ground his senior year.

WyomingGrizFan said:
mikegriz said:
You and others seem pretty high on Henderson, so I just wanted to check something. (Could be my faulty memory, but...) it seemed Ellis had a hard time making yards after the catch. Thoughts?

http://new.berecruited.com/athletes/571027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a youtube.com caption it stated that E. Henderson led the entire State of Washington football in YAC (yards after catch) - this after his junior year. Both Scouts and Rivals rated him the #2 WR from Washington.

I dont expect it to be as easy as it looks here but this is the video that caught my eye
http://vimeo.com/16452295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He has big yard after catch potential IMO. Im psyched to see his improvement playing with JJ
:thumb:

b/w...could you comment on lebsock,,he was a very good, if not great high school player but seems that has not been the case at Montana because of injury or something.....was he out of position at safety and will he be a better fit at linebacker? he seems light to me being a linebacker at 6'2" 210lbs....maybe he will bigger this fall 225-235,,,or is it a case of wait til next year type thing....problem with that is we are running out of next years....

krammer said:
b/w...could you comment on lebsock,,he was a very good, if not great high school player but seems that has not been the case at Montana because of injury or something.....was he out of position at safety and will he be a better fit at linebacker? he seems light to me being a linebacker at 6'2" 210lbs....maybe he will bigger this fall 225-235,,,or is it a case of wait til next year type thing....problem with that is we are running out of next years....

The problem with closed practices are that I've not seen much from him in the two scrimmages and that's all I've got to go off. He LOOKS bigger out there and passes the eye test to be an FCS level linebacker. It looks like he's added some muscle and weight. He was listed as being in on a few tackles in the 2nd scrimmage - I don't recall if he played much in the first.

I think you're right, come the fall if he's 220 or so he should work out ok. This year he will be looked upon to do some spot backup duty and play special teams. Obviously my hope for the guy is that he can stay healthy through the season. I don't think he's injury prone, just had some bad luck, slipping on wet grass and badly spraining his hammy as a true frosh and then whatever he did to his knee this year. Hopefully he's over all of that now.

Back