• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spokesman Review article, coach D thought it was 4th & 8

BWahlberg

DONOR
http://www.spokesman.com/eagles/stories/2013/oct/27/blanchette-eagles-have-become-skys-special-team/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That Montana, No. 10 ranking notwithstanding, is no longer the Big Sky’s bad news bear is no bulletin. The social, legal, NCAA and administrative turmoil that left 70-year-old Mick Delaney to preside over the program’s first losing season since 1985 was a schadenfreude special that nourished every rival fan in 2012. These Grizzlies are better than that, but there will be no championship this year.

I didn't view the attempt to set a noise record as desperate, but maybe I just don't see it.

To see all the public hoohah before the game about decibel meters and goosing crowd noise seemed slightly desperate, but no more than to see the Grizzlies pumping its arms to inflame its fans among the 26,082 on hand – on their very first defensive snap.

Didn’t seem like a team ready to grab a game, or a season, by the throat.

But neither did the signals from the sideline. For all the endgame drama, the most important juncture may have been in the third quarter after Adams threw his first pick. Trailing 28-17 and with a momentum change, the Grizzlies went backwards on three straight plays, displaying no invention or derring-do, unless the creative spark was supposed to be represented by yet another flanker screen.

And then there's this....

When they got down 42-17, the Grizzlies finally opened it up a bit – but, hey, what’s the hurry? And when he had a chance to keep the late surge going, Delaney opted for that field goal with 5:20 left – later explaining that “we needed to get some points and it was fourth-and-eight, which was a little too much yardage.”

Except it was fourth-and-one,
and all the momentum – and that noise – belonged to Montana.

It was a moment of special urgency. There were several on Saturday. Eastern Washington embraced them all.

Down 28-17 and we scored a touchdown but was called back for illegal use of hands to the face really killed us along with getting ZERO points off those interceptions.. Our coaching staff was in over their heads the entire game.

We still have the potential to lose at least 2 more games this year.. We'll be lucky to even host a playoff game let alone get into the playoffs..

BWahlberg said:
And then there's this....

When they got down 42-17, the Grizzlies finally opened it up a bit – but, hey, what’s the hurry? And when he had a chance to keep the late surge going, Delaney opted for that field goal with 5:20 left – later explaining that “we needed to get some points and it was fourth-and-eight, which was a little too much yardage.”

Except it was fourth-and-one, and all the momentum – and that noise – belonged to Montana.

It was a moment of special urgency. There were several on Saturday. Eastern Washington embraced them all.

I was a bit surprised by this too. When a friend had texted me the 42-17 score with 12 minutes left, I responded back "just wait, the game is about to get exciting". Montana had all the momentum and EWU seemed to be lost. JJ could've easily converted that 4th down.

Tough game but the Griz showed heart and laid it all on the line.

The only thing really holding this team back are the coaches on the sideline. Open it up Delaney et al and let them play.

Fair observations. But the harsh truth is also that if the Griz recover that onside kick, everyone's story changes.

grizfan95 said:
Fair observations. But the harsh truth is also that if the Griz recover that onside kick, everyone's story changes.

I can't argue that But that's just the way to cookie crumbles..

mcg said:
Did Coach D really say he thought it was fourth and eight?

If he did, my opinion of him (as a head coach) is going to skew dramatically. Sure, there've been instances in the past, but this would kind of be the one that broke my camel's back.

mcg said:

If the Spokesman reporter is correct, then yes. I sent messages to a few Griz reporters to try to confirm.

If the 4th and 8 thing is true... wow. To not be able to understand... was this going on the whole game?!?! That might explain the playcalling. That level of situational awareness is completely unacceptable. Is this one of the staffs silly gaffes that finally happens at a crucial moment? Get your G-d head out! That's just asinine.

Another coaching mind fart that didn't end up hurting anything was the defensive offsides on the last extra-point which was declined. They blew the play dead because the defender jumped into the neutral zone and caused holmes(i think) to stumble backwards. The ref clearly stated that it was defensive offsides, the penalty was half the distance to the goal, then a few seconds later said that the yardage penalty was declined. Coach D (or whoever) didn't realize that the play was blown dead and thought the play counted and the kick was good. It is the culmination of lot and lots and LOTS of these little things that build up and lead to loses.

BWahlberg said:
mcg said:

If the Spokesman reporter is correct, then yes. I sent messages to a few Griz reporters to try to confirm.

I'd imagine that the post game press conference is videoed.

Probably just a slip. 4th and 8 th sorta describes the day........ Or atleadt third and forever.

Why are you guys offended by anything this guy
ytubupyn.jpg

Says

Come on.... He's got creepy douche written all over his face

I mean seriously, "EWU is the Sky's "Special" team?" There's nothing special about them except the special education they're receiving. You guys are just a few pieces away from putting your puzzle together. And MSU has all but dominated the Sky for the last 3 years.

If they ever expand their stadium and get rid of that terrible turf and consistently beat both MT schools, then they might make such a claim. Until then, this puffery is a bit pre-mature much like his schadenfreude induced ejaculation.

The Crown Jewels of the Big Sky remain in the Treasure State regardless of what some creepy weirdo thinks.

Just my two cents

LongTimeCatFan said:
Why are you guys offended by anything this guy
ytubupyn.jpg

Says

Come on.... He's got creepy douche written all over his face

I mean seriously, "EWU is the Sky's "Special" team?" There's nothing special about them except the special education they're receiving. You guys are just a few pieces away from putting your puzzle together. And MSU has all but dominated the Sky for the last 3 years.

If they ever expand their stadium and get rid of that terrible turf and consistently beat both MT schools, then they might make such a claim. Until then, this puffery is a bit pre-mature much like his schadenfreude induced ejaculation.

The Crown Jewels of the Big Sky remain in the Treasure State regardless of what some creepy weirdo thinks.

Just my two cents

Well, I think John Blanchette knows quite a bit about Montana and Missoula since he grew up in Missoula and graduated from Hellgate. He no doubt, is interested and keeps close tabs on what's going on in town. He may be wrong about EWU being the BSC Omnipotent but he's right to say we're not the power of the conference right now and have a lot of work to do to get back on top. We will get it back though.

Sometimes I just like to pretend the Mick is actually on the sidelines with the Happy Days song playing in his head as the football game is going on, then someone elbows him and says, "Hey Mick, what do you think?" And then he snaps out of it, says a few words, then goes back to Happy Days.

Playoffs or not, please can we get a new head coach? This staff lacks attention to detail, makes bad decisions, lacks creativity, and is way too stubborn to make the necessary changes.

MrTitleist said:
Sometimes I just like to pretend the Mick is actually on the sidelines with the Happy Days song playing in his head as the football game is going on, then someone elbows him and says, "Hey Mick, what do you think?" And then he snaps out of it, says a few words, then goes back to Happy Days.

This is funny!

Nice work I needed a laugh

Latest posts

Back