• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Speltz: Griz Nation take heed

UofMGrizFan

http://missoulian.com/sports/colleg...cle_6277f3b0-0d44-11e3-a496-001a4bcf887a.html

Speltz: Griz Nation take heed

508cae4bd931f.preview-620.jpg

Recently I received an impassioned email from a Montana football fan who made a great point about Saturday’s home opener against Appalachian State.

According to information provided by the NCAA, the Mountaineers led the FCS in attendance for the fifth time in six years in 2012 with a declared average of 26,358 fans per contest. Montana was next at 25,236 and James Madison a distant third at 22,783.

But here’s the thing: Appalachian State’s Kidd Brewer Stadium has a listed seating capacity of 24,050. Montana’s Washington-Grizzly Stadium seats 25,217.

So what’s the deal? Obviously the Mountaineers are counting a lot of fans watching from areas without seating. Or, as that impassioned Griz fan, former UM trackster Mark Latrielle, wrote to me in his email, “They’re allowed to count the folks who are admitted and sit in the surrounding bushes and trees ... (which) seems like counting folks on Mount Sentinel.”

For the record, the Mountaineers have an area for lawn chairs on a grass hill behind their south end zone. They really do go bonkers over their team in Boone, N.C., drawing 4,500 fans for a scrimmage in the rain last weekend.

Saturday is a time for Montana’s faithful to shine. It may be the last meeting in 100 years for the most successful FCS programs of the millennium. The Mountaineers are moving up to the FBS Sun Belt Conference next season and the Griz are staying in the FCS.

Montana holds a 2-1 series lead over the Mountaineers. But App State has that edge in fan support at home games.

So here’s your chance, Griz Nation.

“I think there is a wonderful opportunity here,” Latrielle opined. “It is a battle for fan and stadium supremacy and Griz Nation needs to be aware of this.”

Latrielle wasn’t there when Montana dropped a 35-27 decision at Appalachian State last September. But his sources tell him the atmosphere was electric and Griz fans were treated like gold.

The gauntlet has been thrown down. Saturday is a chance to not only extend Montana hospitality to our visitors from the Tar Heel State, it’s a chance to make an indelible impression by launching Washington-Grizzly Stadium into the stratosphere on a tank full of fan noise.

Montana must wait until season’s end to claim its official crown as the most well-supported home team in the FCS. Or it can stake its case for 2013 sovereignty Saturday in front of an audience that will include a lot of North Carolinians looking in on ESPN3.

Opportunities like this are rare.

Good article, app st fans are some of the classiest football fans. Esp when compared to cat fans :)

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk 4

...ya kind of get the feeling...
...w g s iz going to rock...
...like never before...

... :cool: ...

In 2008, I gave up tix to ASU v JMU (top 5 heartbreaker on special team snafus) to fly out & attend Griz vs UC-Davis. Why? Just to experience a Griz game day atmosphere. It's all it's advertised to be....the entire experience (even if the wheels came off later :lol:) & I've cherished the experience & good folks I met that weekend.

I missed the 2009 game due to finances (just bought a house & wife received layoff notice an hour after we closed.....ouch!).

So I arrive to Missoula at noon on Thursday for a long awaited chance to re-connect with the griz fans in a wonderful environment! I concur with all accolades expressed regarding the griz game day experience. I'm bringing my college roommate (that's him shotgunning beers in the sig below) for his 1st experience in the Zoo. I look forward to meeting a good deal of you griz fans & hope you'll welcome us to your tailgates. Look for the #55 Appaholic jersey & don't be shy with the beers & introductions. My only regret is I'm flying & they won't allow 'shine in my carry-on....

WILD_CAT said:
They should be able to put at least another 7,000 around the track at App State I would think :)

That's where we let former & current NFL players stand.....oh, and the 3 National Championship trophies....

Its sad that APP state has to play loose with their numbers to be number one. Griz could be first if they counted everybody. Every Griz game I gone to theres hundreds of folks standing along the side lines and hanging out in the tailgate that probably don't get even get put in the official attendants. No question in my mind which stadium is superior.

Ray W said:
Its sad that APP state has to play loose with their numbers to be number one. Griz could be first if they counted everybody. Every Griz game I gone to theres hundreds of folks standing along the side lines and hanging out in the tailgate that probably don't get even get put in the official attendants. No question in my mind which stadium is superior.

Don't turn this into a dick-measuring contest. We have the two best fan bases in FCS, and it's sad to see one of them leaving for good.

Ray W said:

That's not playing loose with the numbers. They're actually in the stadium & paid for a ticket. We pack in ~30k plus for big games. Were not counting anyone in Bowie dorm watching from the 5th floor or people on the hill outside of the stadium.....

CatzWillRise said:
Yea, the Griz never had a grass-seating endzone situation or anything.

The grass hill is great. It gave the kids somewhere to play during the blow out of Bobcats & Youngstown playoff games (sledding) back in the day....

Sounds like most of the 'grass' in APP stadium been smoked by whatever waterheads been counting the tickets.

Ray W said:
Sounds like most of the 'grass' in APP stadium been smoked by whatever waterheads been counting the tickets.
Throw your anger on the scats. That's what they're here for. The App State folks are good people. :thumb:

Ray W said:

Whoa, Ray. You're talking to my man all wrong; it's the wrong tone. Picture yourself out there on the lake with a bucket of brew on deck and a bevy of bucketmouths below. Feel better?

Hey, where did the our upper deck looks like a Trivial Pursuit game piece post go? I was on to that one next. :)

CDAGRIZ said:
Hey, where did the our upper deck looks like a Trivial Pursuit game piece post go? I was on to that one next. :)

I didn't have the heart to leave it up there....i just realized Ray's been posting for like 5 min & doesn't rep the griz fans I've encountered. He reminds me of a little kid who just realized he can make himself go poo but hasn't realized that making poo in mixed company isn't necessarily an attribute. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.....

Ray W said:

Time out, Ray. Sit in the corner and smoke your fish...and try and be a decent host to our ASU friends...

Appaholic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I didn't have the heart to leave it up there....i just realized Ray's been posting for like 5 min & doesn't rep the griz fans I've encountered. He reminds me of a little kid who just realized he can make himself go poo but hasn't realized that making poo in mixed company isn't necessarily an attribute. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.....
:lol: :lol:
Sorry Ray, but that's funny!!

Appaholic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I know. I was just messing with you. I thought it was hilarious.

Sucks Apps leaving.
Montana & App are by far the two top dogs in the FCS this millennium. Big drop to third.
Tons of mutual respect between the fan bases.
I hope NdSU keeps up their winning ways for a good while so there is at least one other FCS school we could possibly develope that same level of mutual respect with.
Makes for one hell of a special game day experience.

I hope we have an epic game but I don't think I have to hope to hard with how this series usually pans out.
Enjoy your last game agianst us in WaGriz Appaholic!

Go Griz
&
Go App. (my new favorite FBS team)

Back