• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sorry I can't help myself: 2014 depth chart

alabamagrizzly

I know this might be a little premature but I am just so excited about the future of Montana football that I can't help myself. Don't be too critical of me. I know your all at least thinkin' about it also.
*-returning starter

QB
Jordy Johnson Sr 6'1" 200*
Brady Gustufson So 6'7" 230
Shay Smithwick-Hann Sr 6'4" 219
Trent McKinny Jr 6'0" 190
Makena Simis Fr 6'2 195

No brainer here who the starter will be. The real battle is for 2nd string. Another year of experience under Brady's belt and I see him taking the spot. Unless Trent can improve on his accuracy, especially with the long balls, I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer out. Normally we would move someone with his athletic ability to WR but we are so stocked there I don't see that. Mabey RB in 2015 for his Sr year.

HB
Travon Van Sr 5'11" 195*
Jordan Canada Sr 5'9 190*
Joey Counts Jr 5'9" 215
Treshawn Favors Fr? 5'9 175
John Nyguen Fr 5'7" 187

I give Travon the edge because he brings a little more to the table but him and Canada are really gonna be a two headed beast that is going to run through defenses all year. Then when they're getting tired of chasing them two around we're going to bring in "little" Joey to just punish them. OMG!

FB
Jamal Wilson Jr* 5'11" 238
Gavin Hagfors Jr 6'2" 226

Jamal is the man here and he is gonna hurt some LB's who think they're gonna fill a whole and get a tackle

WR
Ellis Henderson Jr 6'0" 185*
Jamal Jones Jr 5'11" 188*
Taylor Walcott Jr 6'0" 177
Marq Rogers So 6'3" 181
Sean Haynes Sr 6'3" 185
Mitch Saylor Sr 6'5" 222
Ryan Burke So 6'4" 190
Chase Naccarato Jr 5'7" 160
Dominique Bobo Fr? 6'3" 175
Kevin Berland Sr 5'9" 175
Spencer Hale Sr 5'11" 183
Zack Vis Fr 6'3" 185
Austin Carver Fr 6'0" 165
Nico Graham Fr 5'11" 175
Josh Jansen Fr 6'0" 185

No doubt Ellis and Jamal will be our ones. The depth we have under them is remarkable. Walcott and Rogers are full of talent. Haynes and Saylor are over due for breakout years. Burke can be something special. Naccarato has great speed. If Bobo can catch the ball as well as he runs then DB's are gonna be gettin burned all day. The staff is very high on Vis. There is no end to the potential of this crew. Easily the deepest I have seen at Montana I beleive.

TE
Aschan Richards Jr 6'6" 227
Mike Ralston So/Fr? 6'5" 245
Noah Scarver So/Fr? 6'4" 234
Jonathan Richards Jr 6'3" 222
Cooper Sprunk Fr 6'4" 215

I give the nod to Aschan because of the little more experience he has but if Scarver/Ralston reach their potential then they may take the job from him. I'm sure one of them if not both will see playing time this year and that will help

C
Logan Hines Sr 6'4" 290
Devon Deitrich So 6'4" 270

The line has good depth this year but graduating three starters will be a challange for next year. These guys are gonna have to step up rotating in this year to show they can start and be successful at this level. They will also need to hit the weight room some more with not a one weighing over 300 lbs. These guys were recruited for the spread read offense. The pro set requires a little more muscle and less finess. I have Logan at the starting C but any number of guys could step in there. Weyer is capeable I beleive. Schmaing has been getting reps. I believe Deitrich is related to Packers starting C Evan Deitrich-Smith that played at Idaho State. If so, he needs to work with him and get some good pointers.

G
Ben Weyer So 6'4" 270
Jordan Hines Sr 6'4" 291*
Samson Kaleikini Jr 6'5" 280
McCauley Todd So 6'7" 295

Jordan will be a returning starter. The rest of the guys will need to get a lot of reps this year and build expierience. Weyer will deffenetly be a starter at either the G or the C position. Todd's size should make him a force but he needs PT at this level.

T
Trevor Poole Sr 6'5" 290*
John Schmaing Jr 6'7" 291
Max Kelly So 6'7" 274
Clint LaRowe So 6'5" 295

Poole will be the vet of the line and will probably be Kistler's replacement on the left side. Schmaing will also be very expierienced but he's one of those guys that could end up any where on the line. Kelly's another big body I'm exited about.

DT
Tonga Takei Sr 6'2" 301*
Caleb Kidder Jr 6'5" 260
Trevor Rehm Sr 6'3" 265
Jesse Ginn Jr 6'5" 298
Bo Harris So 6'3" 265
Nate Bradley Fr 5'11" 250

Tonga will be a three starter next year and as good as Biennemann is, I can't wait tell Kidder is the starter. He is going to be a beast. With Rehm as a quality back up and if Ginn can finnaly live up to his potential, then we will be very good here.

DE
Zack Wagenmann Sr 6'3" 250*
Tyrone Holmes Jr 6'4" 245*
Zack Peavy So 6'2" 250
Derek Crittenden Jr 6'3" 240
Ryan Johnson So 6'2" 245

The depth on our D line is amazing. Our D ends will be three year starters with Holmes playing slot in 2012. Peavy and Johnson are going to be a very pleasant surprise and Crittenden is a real good back up.

LB
Kendrick VanAckeren Jr 6'1" 195
Addison Owen Jr 6'2" 220
Jeremiah Kose Jr 6'2" 230
Conner Lebsock Jr 6'2" 205
Tucker Schye So/Fr? 6'4" 215
Conner Strahm So/Fr? 6'2" 215
Kelsey Lipert Jr 6'0" 212

We will have three new starters here but no lack of playing time. I think VanAckeren, Kose, and Owen will all be on the feild alot this year and I think they will be the front runners for the starting jobs next year. Lebsock and Lipert should be a capeable back ups. I think Schye will see the feild this year and both him and Strahm are gonna be real good ball players.

CB
Josh Denard Sr 5'11" 185*
JR Nelson So 6'2" 177
Jamal Anderson Jr 5'11" 180
Ryan McKinley Fr? 5'11" 187
Nate Harris Jr 5'10" 180
Chris Parker Fr 6'0" 175

Still going to be the biggest question mark on the feild. Denard will be a three year starter and needs to be the vocal and physical leader of the group. Nelson is supposed to have a big upside and is going to get some time to prove that in 2013. Anderson will probably have the same learning curve as other jucos but at least he has one more year then most. I pray McKinnley is worth all the hype, if so we will be all right.

S
Matt Hermanson Sr 6'1" 198*
Herbert Gamboa Jr 6'1" 193
Justin Whitted Jr 6'1" 191
Zack Gratton So 6'1" 195
Jake Dallaserra Jr 5'11" 180
Mick Delany Fr 6'1" 180

Hermanson will be a four year starter and Gamboa will be one if the most athletically gifted kids on the feild. Whitted, Gratton, and Dallaserra will add good depth.

K
Harrison Greenberg So 5'8" 170
Chris Lider Jr 6'1" 199*
Ben Worst Fr 5'11" 190

If Greenberg keeps progressing and Lider dosn't then Harrison will take the starting' job. As of now Liders stronger leg has him as the starter but his accuracy is less then desirable. I wouldn't be surprised to see Worst on another roster if not in 2014 then in '15.

P
Stephen Shaw Jr 6'3" 260*
This man will be playing Sundays someday. Heck, if we weren't so deep on the defensive line, he could probably play there too

Great initial post but there's a few things I'd change.

Jordan Harper, TE - One of the big surprises for me out of fall camp. I think he'll see significant time, especially catching balls this year.

There is no way Greenberg will be the kicker. Sorry, but not happening. I'll be surprised if he's even on the roster next year.

Whitted is currently ahead of Hermanson in the past two scrimmages. It's hard to tell if Delaney is just testing him out but for now it looks like Whitted is a starter this year.

I think something needs to be done for SSH. Move him to TE or something, but I believe every class needs a new QB (don't we already have a Bozeman QB for next year?) and he'd just be taking reps away from McKinney, Simis and Gustafson. I still think Simis starts in 2015.

grizfan95 said:

Jordan Harper, TE - One of the big surprises for me out of fall camp. I think he'll see significant time, especially catching balls this year.

I believe every class needs a new QB (don't we already have a Bozeman QB for next year?)

My bad about Harper. You may be right. I had him confused with Horner who just left the team.

I also didn't include our commitments for next year because like the LB from Boise, they could change their mind at any time tell national sighning day. Although I don't see that happening with Weyer because his bros already here but he's also not the only QB were recruiting. We could still land some one better then all of em including JJ(did I just say that out loud?)

grizfan95 said:

There is no way Greenberg will be the kicker. Sorry, but not happening. I'll be surprised if he's even on the roster next year.

Whitted is currently ahead of Hermanson in the past two scrimmages. It's hard to tell if Delaney is just testing him out but for now it looks like Whitted is a starter this year.

I think something needs to be done for SSH. Move him to TE or something, but I believe every class needs a new QB (don't we already have a Bozeman QB for next year?) and he'd just be taking reps away from McKinney, Simis and Gustafson. I still think Simis starts in 2015.

Whitted is not ahead of Hermie. Hermie continues to run with the 1's.

PlayerRep said:
grizfan95 said:

Whitted is not ahead of Hermie. Hermie continues to run with the 1's.

Cool. I like Hermie and hope that his injury from last year is gone and he returns to where he was headed after his freshman year.

good post...I also believe with all the two t/e sets, the bigger tight end, that can catch will have a big advantage next year,,,,they all need to be bigger and physical in the direction we are going imo....an might I say LETS USE THEM ONCE IN A WHILE....after all they too are eligible receivers...

biga75 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
biga75 said:
Kanongata'a??
He's a Sr this year

I know this - I was just wondering why he isn't listed with the other LBs.
This is for the 2014 depth chart. Sorry I'm gettin way ahead if myself and talkin about next year before this year has even started. I just think we have unprecedented depth on our team and it gets me excited

alabamagrizzly said:
biga75 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
biga75 said:
Kanongata'a??
He's a Sr this year

I know this - I was just wondering why he isn't listed with the other LBs.
This is for the 2014 depth chart. Sorry I'm gettin way ahead if myself and talkin about next year before this year has even started. I just think we have unprecedented depth on our team and it gets me excited

Oops..my bad.

It helps if I read the full title of the thread.

I am excited as hell for this year and can't wait for this machine to get rolling!! :thumb:

BWahlberg said:
FYI - Samson Kalekini quit the team before fall camp, I'd assume he won't be back either.

Well, THAT absolutely SUCKS. I was really hoping for some big things from that one... :cry:

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
FYI - Samson Kalekini quit the team before fall camp, I'd assume he won't be back either.

Well, THAT absolutely SUCKS. I was really hoping for some big things from that one... :cry:
Major bummer. That does hurt our depth for next year. I know we had a good offensive line recruiting class in 2012 but I think we might need at least four more good ones in this years class.

do not underestimate sean haynes..........agree, break out year for him........dude has been in my playbook since sambrano left.

Apparently greenberg has been more accurate and just as strong as Lider this week. Didn't he hit 2 48+balls in the scrimmage? Maybe a week to week decision.

BWahlberg said:

I heard he was joining the team when school started this semester. Has that changed?

Marquin Russell and Chris Parker will be much, much higher on the 2014 depth chart (if they don't see playing time in 2013).

Back