• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"Son of the Run"

HiFlyinEagle

Earlier I started you on a little stroll down ole memory lane. Well it's time to take a closer look. "Son of the Run" happened with the Eagles trailing late in the 4th quarter of the 2000 NC game.

AP gets the ball and slams through the line and breaks a looooong 57 (I believe) yard scamper for pay-dirt! TD Eagles!
oth74782.jpeg

Shortly after AP's long TD run time expires on the clock.
2000NCscoreboard.jpg

Montana fans reaction to "Son of the Run" and the scoreboard.
montanafans.jpg

I think I like that last picture best. It really captures the moment. :D

Actually, Highflyingeagle, your memory or your statistics are really lacking. In the 2000 Championship Game Adrian Peterson scored the game winning touchdown with 11:29 left in the fourth quarter! Montana had scored 20 unanswered points and clearly had the momentum in the second half. Georgia Southern only had 72 total yards on offense in the second half and only had 390 total yards for the entire game versus 487 for Montana. If you were at the game you would realize that the game was rapidly slipping away. Another two minutes and the game would have been ours. I talked to MANY Georgia Southern fans after the game and everyone said they were glad it ended when it did because Montana was about to win it. Also, remember that we lost our starting quarterback in the first quarter. You can forget what the scoreboard says for total yards -- it was wrong the entire game (much like the bias the announcer at the game showed). Don't tell me it's a neutral field in Chattanooga!

62GRIZ said:
Actually, Highflyingeagle, your memory or your statistics are really lacking. In the 2000 Championship Game Adrian Peterson scored the game winning touchdown with 11:29 left in the fourth quarter!
My my! Did I strike a nerve there, buddy?
Trust me, both my memory and my statistics are up to par. I exaggerated with one word. I said, "late" in the 4th when it was actually pretty early in the 4th. The thing is it FELT like it was LATE in the 4th when AP broke that run. I was getting nervous. It was after all, the game winning TD.

BTW, don't whine to me about Edwards getting hurt. The Griz played better without him in there. Even you admitted that, "Montana had scored 20 unanswered points and clearly had the momentum in the second half."

Oh and one more thing, until they change the rules, football games last 60 minutes. You have to get all of your scoring in before the time expires. You can't add time to the clock just because your team was driving down the field. Obviously they weren't very close because a field goal would have won it for you, but you weren't in range.

You can forget what the scoreboard says for total yards -- it was wrong the entire game (much like the bias the announcer at the game showed). Don't tell me it's a neutral field in Chattanooga!

62Griz

It wasn't just 15,000 GSU fans and the scoreboard keeper and the announcer. What about that holding call at the end of the game that killed our drive? You don't call holding with under two minutes when a team is driving inside the 5 for the winning touchdown! It's unethical. There is holding on every play of a college or pro football game. They can call it anytime. But you don't call it when the game is on the line for a team and it decides the outcome of the game. The kids need to decide the game in the last few minutes, not the refs.

That Marshall game just made me sick Tuesday night. The refs gave the game to Marshall at the end at Marshalls stadium.

ronbo said:
It wasn't just 15,000 GSU fans and the scoreboard keeper and the announcer. What about that holding call at the end of the game that killed our drive?
Them grapes sure are sour! :lol: Anything else you want to blame the loss on? Oh yeah, the QB injury, field conditions, hotel accomodations, GSU women looked better, it was a 1/2 moon and we play our best during a full moon, it wasn't cold enough, it wasn't wet enough, there was no snow, GSU is located in a hotbed for recruits, our uniforms were too dirty to play good, blah, blah blah....

Just a couple of things:

John Edwards did not get hurt in the 2000 championship game--he came in for the injured Drew Miller. And, by the way, you do realize that Drew Miller was a first-team All-American that year, don't you? While I know this wasn't even an unanimous opinion among Griz fans that year, replacing a senior All-American with a sophomore with a lot less experience is not usually referred to as an upgrade. Drew Miller was the best passer in I-AA that year, but he was injury-prone. Just because he got off to a slow start doesn't mean he wouldn't have ultimately diced up your defense like he did everyone else's. That year, Idaho's coaching staff, which had played Oregon (Joey Harrington, QB) and Washington (Marquis Tuiasosopu, QB) said that Miller was the best QB they faced that year. Though, obviously, John Edwards is no slouch himself, as you may have to re-learn later this year.

And where were all of you trash-talkin' Eagle fans when GSU started the season 1-2? Could hardly find you guys on the boards then, but there seems to be a rash of you now... ;)

We did lose that game and I did congratulate the Georgia Southern fans (probably 75-100 of them). Sour grapes? Hardly! I'm just responding to your innacurate smack. After your gloating I am beginning to fully understand why your attendance figures are so low. I became acquainted with a lot of Appalachian State fans in Missoula and in 2000 in Chattanooga (yes, there were a lot there to support the GRIZ) and with many Furman fans last year. Many told me that they go to all of their road games except those in Statesboro. They said they are afraid for their personal safety and some had had their cars keyed in the Paulsen parking lot and would never go to Statesboro again. Is this college football? Not in our neck of the woods -- we respect our opponents, party with them before AND after the game, and congratulate them when we lose. I surely hope you get to Missoula this fall! We'll treat you right! I'll be glad to buy you a Moose Drool, even IF we should lose.

CrunchGriz said:
And where were all of you trash-talkin' Eagle fans when GSU started the season 1-2? Could hardly find you guys on the boards then, but there seems to be a rash of you now... ;)
GSU was a different team then. Trust me, the Eagles have matured very quickly. Much faster than most GSU fans expected. Last week we clinched at least a share of the SoCon. We have one game to go before the playoffs. That's why you see increased posting from the Eagles. Cheers!

62GRIZ said:
We did lose that game and I did congratulate the Georgia Southern fans (probably 75-100 of them). Sour grapes? Hardly! I'm just responding to your innacurate smack. After your gloating I am beginning to fully understand why your attendance figures are so low. I became acquainted with a lot of Appalachian State fans in Missoula and in 2000 in Chattanooga (yes, there were a lot there to support the GRIZ) and with many Furman fans last year. Many told me that they go to all of their road games except those in Statesboro. They said they are afraid for their personal safety and some had had their cars keyed in the Paulsen parking lot and would never go to Statesboro again. Is this college football? Not in our neck of the woods -- we respect our opponents, party with them before AND after the game, and congratulate them when we lose. I surely hope you get to Missoula this fall! We'll treat you right! I'll be glad to buy you a Moose Drool, even IF we should lose.

App State fans talking about GSU fans? :eek: :lol: Please! I think you have it backwards, my friend. Didn't you hear about the App State v. Furman game this year where the Appies tore down the goal post and preceded to vandalize every car on the road on their way to throw the post in the lake? Or how about when GSU lost to App in Boone and they got on the stadium michrophone and shouted, "GSU sucks! Go home, GSU!, ect...." Or how about when we beat them last year at GSU and one of their players brother was knocking over trash cans on the way out of Paulson? BTW, it's not just Statesboro that App State fans wont travel to, it's the whole SoCon! They don't travel worth a shiz, Griz.

Ask the Furmans, we are classy when we win and we are classy when we lose. Sure every team has a few bad apples, even the Griz. I heard about the mascot and motorcycle incident so don't try to act like the Montana fans are the best out there. Should I wear a hard hat as not to get hit in the head with a whisky bottle? How about the Griz fan who was wearing a "GSU Sucks" t-shirt last year at the NC? I saw it. Is that classy? Is that what you're talking about when you say, "Not in our neck of the woods -- we respect our opponents, party with them before AND after the game, and congratulate them when we lose." GSU fans gets a bad rap because we're rowdy, just like Montana fans. Rowdy doesn't mean classless. Not in my book anyway.

Back