• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Someone please explain.........

mtgrizrule

Why we motioned our FB out wide a handful of times this game? He is not a threat for a defense to cover. He did not draw away any attention from our playmakers. He is not threat to beat a LB like a HB is. I've seen offenses do this but it was to set up an advantageous blocking matchup. Basically, we took him away from using his biggest asset, blocking for our QB and or HB's.

I asked this question during the game thread. It was a serious question then, and still is a serious question. It be nice to hear logical explanations. Again, I know the reasons to do it, if and when you utilize doing it. The GRIZ did it and did not utilize it, or gain anything from it!!! I honestly think they helped the defense by doing it the way they did.

I have been thinking about this over and over since seeing us do it the 1st time. It bugged me then, and bugged me even more after doing it a few more times. I just don't get it from a strategic coaching standpoint.

I just figured it was to have one less blocker in the backfield so NAUs DL wouldnt get so tired or have any obstacles while chasing our QB all night.

They only rushed 4 most of the time why should 5 or 6 players..............ahhh nevermind everyone already knows.

BWahlberg said:
I think each time that was done the running play turned into a tackle for a loss...

Every play we did it on was a bad result. Whatever we were trying to do with it, failed very badly.

So far 2 good football minds, Alpha and BW have not even given a legitimate reason. I have a feeling some sugarcoater will try making this sound good.

mtgrizrule said:
Why we motioned our FB out wide a handful of times this game? He is not a threat for a defense to cover. He did not draw away any attention from our playmakers. He is not threat to beat a LB like a HB is. I've seen offenses do this but it was to set up an advantageous blocking matchup. Basically, we took him away from using his biggest asset, blocking for our QB and or HB's.

I asked this question during the game thread. It was a serious question then, and still is a serious question. It be nice to hear logical explanations. Again, I know the reasons to do it, if and when you utilize doing it. The GRIZ did it and did not utilize it, or gain anything from it!!! I honestly think they helped the defense by doing it the way they did.

I have been thinking about this over and over since seeing us do it the 1st time. It bugged me then, and bugged me even more after doing it a few more times. I just don't get it from a strategic coaching standpoint.

Agree, a couple of guys I was watching the game with and myself were going WTF? No problem with him sneaking out in the flat for a safe short gain every now and then, but no D will fear him there. Gives the D an advantage as they can ignore him for the most part.

We have a big Oline, run it right at people and let our backs run it up the gut, just like last year we would pound the rock and then get cute and bad things would happen.

Ground and pound with play action and stout D works for the Bison and we should think about that.

Well when we did it against a shi*ty UND team we got a RB on a LB a couple times and both of them were big plays..........so

:coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Well when we did it against a shi*ty UND team we got a RB on a LB a couple times and both of them were big plays..........so

At least you came up with a possibility. :thumb: I hope we don't do it very often rest the season. Unless it is for Anderson to crush some defender onto his backside.

Problem is the o-line was getting the crap beat out of it. Just because you are bigger doesn't make you better.

It is not that simple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

It was Van and Counts, but you knew that :lol: :lol: :lol:, nicely done

The simple answer is that it's a way to read whether or not it's a man coverage or a zone coverage. If the LB covers the FB on the motion, or moves, then the read it to run. None of that matters if the OL is getting blasted right after the snap, though.

I thought you guys knew football? Running motion to help read coverage is something that most people have been doing since Madden came out 20-some years ago. :thumb:

NorthwestFresh said:
The simple answer is that it's a way to read whether or not it's a man coverage or a zone coverage. If the LB covers the FB on the motion, or moves, then the read it to run. None of that matters if the OL is getting blasted right after the snap, though.

I thought you guys knew football? Running motion to help read coverage is something that most people have been doing since Madden came out 20-some years ago. :thumb:

You are right, but it is not effective using your damn FB to determine that. Football 101 is using WR's, HB's, or even a TE for determining that. It makes ZERO sense to do it with a FB unless you are trying to set up a blocking advantage. It makes even less sense to do it when an OL is getting blown up like NAU did to our OL, and you proved that point in your post. :thumb:

NorthwestFresh said:

The problem is that the individual in motion in this case is not a real threat to the defense, if it was Van or Canada another story, good in theory, not so much in reality.

jodcon said:
NorthwestFresh said:
None of that matters if the OL is getting blasted right after the snap, though.

This
hey
I agree but it's a result of not using the Oline's best attributes. They are much better coming off the ball aggresively versus the backpedaling that they did far too often tonight. It's something I've wondered about the last year and a half. If you want to go the spread way more attention is needed to agility and less on size on the Oline.

The coaching staff needs to get back to basics, run north/south and use that to exploit play action. That is what the personnel that we have are best at. Why we keep trying to not play to this is mystifying. If we run the ball 40 times for 250 the Griz will prevail 9 times out of 10.

I love seeing JJ under center this year. But down 28-3 in long third down situations with the kind of pressure he was under ? Hello...is anybody home?

Back