• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So what went wrong?

Sportin' Life

DONOR
I saw the D-line got dominated in the second half.
Why couldn't the offense hold the ball? We just needed a drive.

Any thoughts?

Inexperienced QB, solid motivated opponent. Good luck getting the Bison fans out of here now, they deserve some time to rant.

It appears to me that the "strength" of the team (the lines) has infact become the weakness. Just callin it like I see it. If you can not dominate a D-2 school at the line, you are in for a really long season of D-IAA.

And one more thing........I cheer for Disney, but as I have been saying since I saw him, he has yet to impress me.....and infact two ints in the second half were huge.....I can't decide which was worse, our lines getting killed or the two ints.

So.....is Ochs back yet?

On a positive note....Lex Hillard looks freakin great.

I watched the first half on your guys streaming video. It looked like your lines were completely killing us. What was different in the second half?

What went wrong is the Griz took the second half off. I'm not blaming anyone but a 24-2 lead at halftime don't mean Sh!t. The game is 4 qrtrs long and Hauck needs to make sure they don't think its in the bag after the first two.

GeauxGriz said:
It appears to me that the "strength" of the team (the lines) has infact become the weakness. Just callin it like I see it. If you can not dominate a D-2 school at the line, you are in for a really long season of D-IAA.
And one more thing........I cheer for Disney, but as I have been saying since I saw him, he has yet to impress me.....and infact two ints in the second half were huge.....I can't decide which was worse, our lines getting killed or the two ints.
So.....is Ochs back yet?

All really good comments Geaux. I agree. We don't deserve top-10 or top-15 ranking now.
What would cause Disney to execute well in the 1st half and so poorly in the second half? What would cause our defensive line and linebackers to be physically dominated like that?
I can't wait for the updates from the "in-person" Griz fans, who watched it live. OC Phencie was interviewed on the post-game radio show, and primarily talked about how the Griz offense stopped itself with mistakes/poor execution.

Proud Griz Man

Personally, I think the weakness of this team is the leadership. There just dosen't seem to be any. When you let a DII team comback in the second half from 23 points down there is more then just a problem with the lines. It has to start right at the top. Hauck dosen't seem ready to be a head coach. First he switched the o linmen all around to new postions. Why they did fine were they were? I hate to say it but the Griz haven't shown any hart at all. They are cocky and so were many of us fans including myself but this certainly should be a wake up call for the team and the coaches as well. I think Hauck will be ok in the long run if he is able to survive after this season. The team will end up being a 7-4 team that won't even be remebered by griz fans. I just hope they can get it together and learn from this embrassment. Because I also think that if they do these same players and coaches could be something special next season or possibly later in this one. They have the physical talent and abilty it seems to just be a motivation problem.

I think we were out-coached. They came in looking like cream-puffs, then came out in the second half with the real stuff. Because of that, our coaches had no chance to look over the real Bison and make the proper adjustments. I think we were bamboozelled. :cry:

NDSU grad said:
I watched the first half on your guys streaming video. It looked like your lines were completely killing us. What was different in the second half?

Bad coaching, they tried to sit on the lead. :roll: Pathetic.

Oh God, we would have scored another 24 in the second half with the Grand Valley Coaching staff. They blow out every opponent they play.

We were completely OUT COACHED in the second half. The play calling on both O & D was predictable and very stale. We went 2 and out most of the second half on offense. I can't count 1st downs because everyone (anyone who bothered to pay attention) knew we would run up the gut for less than 2 yards. I hoped that SH!T went to WY. Why is it that if it doesn't work six times in a row we still give it a seventh try? Apparantly the OC hasn't seen enough film from last year of how that didn't work. The definition of insanity, is trying the same thing over and over and over, expecting different results. But let's telegraph what were gunna do!!!

The Griz D set up for the Run on 1st down the whole 2nd half, hense ND piled up the yards by passing on 1st down.

I guess what bothers me the most , on the post game radio show, the OC (It's not my fault) blamed the loss on the players (missed receptions, etc.) when it is very evedent to anyone that saw the game, ND just
  • OUT COACHED
the Griz.

It's like we went into a lethargic PREVENT on both sides of the ball.
Which of coarse we all know , "That just PREVENT'S a win.

Worse loss I have seen in at least 10 yrs. They run into each other in the endzone(safety)we lose by one (no safety)we win by one, which in it self would have been embarassing enough.

Great job NDSU

You can protect the coaching staff all you want...but the fact remains that we have the talent on the team to win football games, it's basically the same team we had last year. Why was an offensive line created 2-3 years ago all of sudden switched around? Why is a 3rd or 4th string receiver (Oliver) all of the sudden the go to guy? Why is Waller even in the game? This isn't midget football! How can you have 6'4" sophmore receiver in Jon Talmage, who has proven himself last year only get one touch? How do you have a 6'7" 275 lb. (Walden) tight end that only gets one touch? How can our quarterback not see/not be able to hit a 20yd route down the middle of the field? Heidelberger was open all day across the middle. Trick plays and luck will only get you so far...as we found out today. Don't kid yourself into thinking that we BEAT Maine, we got lucky and they were unfortunate. Talent and skill are wasted when a coaching staff can neither see or utilize them. The play calling was typical, running up the middle, passing for three when you need six, playing the run when everyone in the stadium can see it is going to be a pass, defenders playing off, allowing receivers to catch the ball. We didn't come to win in the second half, they bite alot they just don't go in for the kill. Coaching. Coaching determines this!

GeauxGriz said:

So.....is Ochs back yet?

And what makes you think Ochs will do better? Tell you truth here, I really wasn't to impressed with either QB in spring or fall practices. One practice I watched Ochs throw behind a receiver, over throw a receiver, and then throw an interception to Kyle Edwards in succession. This may sound pretty depressing, it is but I am going to stay positive no matter what. We have no choice.

For all it's worth, Disney did improve this game. May have been small but he did improve. It is a small step, but I will give Disney credit, he did lead the team down for two touchdowns, and he did get the Griz down to a point where Snyder could have made a field goal, which he missed. This considering his two previous possessions were interceptions, one being just a great defensive play, the other just being stupid. Many QB's could have got so flustered that there wouldn't have been any chance of a comeback. But Griz could have comeback because of that last drive,

Plus, with Ochs history with injuries, I just cannot count on him saving the day. Instead, I hope Disney improves each game. This game is a small step, but each game can be a larger step forward in improvement. I am not going to give up on Disney because he may be our only hope.

As for Hartman, he isn't ready, but he holds more promise than Ochs and Disney. He may not have a strong arm, but in scrimmages and practices, I see him getting the ball to a receiver that is catchable. Even in wind, as evidenced by the scrimmage in Polson. I don't think he would have had any of his passes intercepted, but then, maybe I am billing as the next Dave Dickinson.

the loser who said oliver is a 3rd or 4th stringer is, well, a loser. oliver has made more tough catches in the last 3 years than anybody, he gets open, and he knows his blocking assignments. no, he's not the biggest, nor the fastest, nor the flashiest. but probably the best, considering talmadge's drops this year. segars hasn't had much of a chance catching the ball, but considering his punt/kick catching ability, why would you throw it to him this year?

I put most of the blame on the coaching staff. They were given a Ferrari, but they act like they are driving some old SUV. It seemed like whenever we were opening up the offense, we were moving the ball real well, but as soon as we went conservative....3 and out. Disney also missed a lot of reads and did not see wide open receivers.
What an embarrasement, losing to a team we should have beat by 30. NDSU has a right to give a a bunch of smack after that. Maine must be thinking, why didnt the play like that way against us. I agree with an earlier post, I hope this is Hauck's Hofstra.

argh! said:
the loser who said oliver is a 3rd or 4th stringer is, well, a loser. oliver has made more tough catches in the last 3 years than anybody, he gets open, and he knows his blocking assignments. no, he's not the biggest, nor the fastest, nor the flashiest. but probably the best, considering talmadge's drops this year. segars hasn't had much of a chance catching the ball, but considering his punt/kick catching ability, why would you throw it to him this year?

It sounds like there is a personal attachment here...I never said he couldn't catch

Back