• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Small School Draft Watchlist

griz4life said:
druhag said:
Not sure this has been posted. It is an article from NEpatriotsdraft.com
It takes a look at draft prospects of Big Sky Schools for the 2014 draft.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/07/2014-nfl-draft-small-school-watchlist-big-sky-conference.html

No shock that they didn't see McGee as the best offensive prospect. As a FCS QB, he's probably CFL or Arena material.
He's a good QB but nothing to get too excited over. He will never make it in the NFL

I watched him play against SHSU in the first round of the playoffs last year and he seemed completely overwhelmed. He couldn't complete a pass to save his life.

He was also running for his life...

He could be doing that again this entire year. I do believe that is what most people find so impressive about him. He scrambles and makes things happen. Probably not what the NFL is looking for when considering size and speed. Regardless, his accomplishments in Bozo are impressive and I see no need to bash this kid. His reputation is that of a respectful and responsible adult. Attends class, is not arrogant, works hard and represents the kitties very well. He is on the list - good enough for me and I will enjoy watching him scramble with Tripp and co. chasing him in November of this year.

Darksim said:
griz4life said:
druhag said:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/07/2014-nfl-draft-small-school-watchlist-big-sky-conference.html

No shock that they didn't see McGee as the best offensive prospect. As a FCS QB, he's probably CFL or Arena material.
He's a good QB but nothing to get too excited over. He will never make it in the NFL

I watched him play against SHSU in the first round of the playoffs last year and he seemed completely overwhelmed. He couldn't complete a pass to save his life.

To say that McGhee is nothing to get too excited over is completely naive. The kid has been a rock in the Big Sky for three years, moving onto four, and is one of the biggest reasons for the Cats' continued success recently. JJ is not NFL material and shouldn't be judged according to that requirement. Brock Osweiler fit the stereotypical mold of an NFL QB, but I'd take the irish lad or JJ running our offense any day.

Hells bells said:

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

He was running for his life. He's a good QB. This is a guy who has been coached by how many different offensive coordinators? And he's done well He'll probably be conference offensive MVP again this year and a worthy Payton Award candidate.
He's just not the conference's best NFL prospect.

griz4life said:
Hells bells said:

He was running for his life. He's a good QB. This is a guy who has been coached by how many different offensive coordinators? And he's done well He'll probably be conference offensive MVP again this year and a worthy Payton Award candidate.
you never know - his skill set seems to be the new prototype nfl qb, but i will honestly be surprised if he is in the conversation on draft day. I think the one thing that was overhyped is how many different OC's he had (one as a redshirt - one as a frosh-soph, one as a junior and yet a new one this year), yet i belive that the only year that the o is going to change in a noticeable way is this year with the guy from NH

Hells bells said:
griz4life said:
Hells bells said:

you never know - his skill set seems to be the new prototype nfl qb, but i will honestly be surprised if he is in the conversation on draft day. I think the one thing that was overhyped is how many different OC's he had (one as a redshirt - one as a frosh-soph, one as a junior and yet a new one this year), yet i belive that the only year that the o is going to change in a noticeable way is this year with the guy from NH
I like McGee's attitude and who he is as a person but he simply isn't an accurate enough passer. Kinda reminds me of Tebow but a little less athletic. Who is this guy from NH? because I would say that the cats more than anything need a better OL. they already have pretty good WR's and RB's

McGee has proven himself to be one of the best QBs in the FCS and he is a class class player. I think he has a big year this year and wins the Walter Payton Award (objective prediction). He has a much improved OL this year and I think that will make a big difference for him, especially in bigger more competitive games. The Bobcats are lucky to have him. I don't see him as a Pro talent. Too many physical limitations in terms of size and arm strength, but he will be very successful in whatever he falls back on. Maybe coaching?

Tripp is another class kid, who will leave a big void in leadership and production when he leaves. I think he has a chance at having a nice Pro career. He has all the variables scouts are looking for.

I think Lobato has a better shot at an NFL roster than McGhee. He's 6'5 and 230Llbs, strong arm and above average accuracy. If UNC had a better o-line, he could really showcase the talent he has.

BigSkyBears said:
I think Lobato has a better shot at an NFL roster than McGhee. He's 6'5 and 230Llbs, strong arm and above average accuracy. If UNC had a better o-line, he could really showcase the talent he has.

Physically he has a BCS caliber arm. Too bad his in game decisions so far have been terrible, and inconsistent. If he threw as well in games as he does practice and warm ups, he would be drafted. Not sure what is with him between the ears, and his decision making. I love seeing BSC QB's succeed, and have a chance at the NFL. I hope Lobato figures out the mental part of decision making. Just hope his one shitty game is against the GRIZ.

grizfan95 said:
Darksim said:
griz4life said:
druhag said:

To say that McGhee is nothing to get too excited over is completely naive. The kid has been a rock in the Big Sky for three years, moving onto four, and is one of the biggest reasons for the Cats' continued success recently. JJ is not NFL material and shouldn't be judged according to that requirement. Brock Osweiler fit the stereotypical mold of an NFL QB, but I'd take the irish lad or JJ running our offense any day.
I guess I'm just completely naïve because I don't think he'll get drafted. :roll:

This thread is about which BigSky prospects will get drafted :evil:

mtgrizrule said:
BigSkyBears said:

Physically he has a BCS caliber arm. Too bad his in game decisions so far have been terrible, and inconsistent. If he threw as well in games as he does practice and warm ups, he would be drafted. Not sure what is with him between the ears, and his decision making. I love seeing BSC QB's succeed, and have a chance at the NFL. I hope Lobato figures out the mental part of decision making. Just hope his one shitty game is against the GRIZ.
I bet someone in the NFL thinks he can be developed in that regard and is willing to take the chance. He has the size and accuracy, which is hard to find. If I recall correctly Osweiler didn't do all that well for ASU but now is touted as the future of the Denver Broncos.

*edit - I take what I said about brock after looking at his 2011 stats. He "set new school records for completions (326), attempts (516) and completion percentage (63.2), and threw for 26 touchdowns, the fourth most in school history."

mtgrizrule said:
BigSkyBears said:

I see what you're saying and I agree, but maybe finally having the same o-coordinator for consecutive years will help the mental part. The funny thing is he walked on to CU his freshman year but Hawkins wanted him to switch positions and play tight end! If he would have stayed at CU he would no doubt be competing for that starting position. He's probably better than anyone they have now. Also, you won't be seeing Seth play the Griz, we're not on your schedule this year.

BigSkyBears said:
mtgrizrule said:
BigSkyBears said:

I see what you're saying and I agree, but maybe finally having the same o-coordinator for consecutive years will help the mental part. The funny thing is he walked on to CU his freshman year but Hawkins wanted him to switch positions and play tight end! If he would have stayed at CU he would no doubt be competing for that starting position. He's probably better than anyone they have now. Also, you won't be seeing Seth play the Griz, we're not on your schedule this year.

Damn conference expansion anyway. Thanks for the reminder. In that case, I will be rooting for him to do well every game this season. :thumb:

Back