• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sick and Tired of North Dakota Topics and Big Sky Stuff

G

I am sick and tired of all the talk that there has been about North Dakota and their expansion into the big sky. Wake up guys, its not going to happen. You can talk all you want about Cal Poly SLO, Davis, and Sac Starting another conference but it is unlikely. Furthermore, you guys wouldnt even be competitive so quit waisting our time on this board and go play hockey!!!!

I would love to see Idaho come back to the Big Sky. It is totally impossible for Boise to come back and a huge stretch for Reno to come back.

Ever since the departure of Reno, but especially Boise and Idaho the big sky has gotten so much weaker that it hurts the Griz and IAA. Remember the year that the Big Sky was number one conference, (I think it was the year Griz lost to Youngstown, not sure). Now the Big Sky is just the Griz and "also ran" teams like MSU and Idaho State, never national players.

So, lets get some powerhouses back in the Big Sky and people from North Dakota go fly planes at your school and quit talking about joing the Sky!!

To put it in not as harsh of terms I would have to say that I agree with Sweetwyne. How much longer are we going to discuss the same issue of NDSU and SDSU or any of the Dakota schools coming into the Big Sky. I much rather have Idaho than either of those schools. That rivalry in my opinion is one of the best in 1-AA. I know Idaho is "1-A" but we all know that they really aren't. The Dakota Schools may have fine programs but even if they do join the Sky they will struggle for awhile making our conference even weaker. Idaho would step right in as a contender not only in the conference but nationally they would give us another perenial top 25 team. I will dismiss the thought of Boise and Reno ever coming back but those really were the best years of BSC football and basketball. Our conference is as week as its ever been and the last thing we need is to try and nurse up and coming programs through numerous ass kickings until 5-10 years later they can compete. Leave the BSC the way it is now and lets wait for Idaho to come back to where they truly belong. I don't think any Griz fan could truly say that they rather have the Dakota schools over Idaho. And if you do say that then I dont' think that you belong on this board trying to say what is best for the BSC and the Griz!

Baller1

I kind of like NDSU and SDSU, but this whole idea for a 12-team league scares the crap out of me. By the way, the I-AA and future I-AA western teams will form their own conference. That is a fact.

If we could ever get Idaho back and bring in Utah State, replacing Sac State and NAU, I'd be thrilled. It'll probably never happen, but this is the lineup I want to see:

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
Idaho State
Utah State
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Portland State

P.S. North Dakota State doesn't have a hockey team.

Sweetwyne Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:25 am Post subject: Sick and Tired of North Dakota Topics and Big Sky Stuff
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
......and go play hockey!!!!
......North Dakota go fly planes at your school and quit talking about joing the Sky!!

Sweetwyne,
We do neither at NDSU, you have us confused with UND. At least we know the difference between Montana and Montana St. And both are in favor of adding the Dakota's to the Big Sky.

:grab:

Don't forget the other sports, this isn't just about football. You think FSU joined the ACC for football? It is an easy football conference, and great basketball and baseball conference ($$$$).

How good is Montana's softball, basketball, track, etc compared to these schools.

Who cares about hockey. I dont see that big of a difference with any of those schools.

my point is that instead of weakening the sky we need to make it stronger. It is inevitable that Idaho will come back. low attendence, they have competed poorly and they are in the freakin' Sun Belt Conference?????? with rivals such as Middle Tennessee State.

We need Idaho to rebuild a lost rivalry.

I apologize to NDSU, but stay the hell away from our football conference. We have expereicned your kind of competition in the form of Sac State, Cal Northridge.

Save it for another conference.

To think that this is about other sports is ridiculious. In DI athletics football is the only sport that comes close to breaking even or making money. Only schools like Duke, Kansas, Arizona are able to make money on basketball. Schools in the Big Sky have no hope of making money on their basketball programs.

The point i make here is that joining conferences and leaving them is all about football, and football alone. Last I checked none of the dakota schools were knocking down the door on the sweet sixteen. Am I wrong??

The dakota schools just want to leatch off the griz and the bring the big sky down, shame on them.

Sweetwyne Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:04 pm Post subject: other sports
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To think that this is about other sports is ridiculious. In DI athletics football is the only sport that comes close to breaking even or making money. Only schools like Duke, Kansas, Arizona are able to make money on basketball. Schools in the Big Sky have no hope of making money on their basketball programs.

The point i make here is that joining conferences and leaving them is all about football, and football alone. Last I checked none of the dakota schools were knocking down the door on the sweet sixteen. Am I wrong??

The dakota schools just want to leatch off the griz and the bring the big sky down, shame on them.

We have a lot of respect for the Big Sky and bring strong athletic programs to the table. The Dakota's will prosper where ever they end up. The Big Sky because of the Montana Schools was there first choice. SDSU is a great basketball school. 1 NC and several Men's elite 8 appearances. Current Division II Women's Champions. NDSU football has 8 NC's, Women's Basketball 5 NC's, Wrestling 4 NC's, Softball 1 NC, several Volleyball NCAA finals appearances. The attendance for each sport would be in the upper half of the Big Sky each year.

Sweetwyne said:

You are delusional and misinformed. The Dakota Schools are both doing just fine and have no need to "leatch off the Griz or the Big Sky". We both have athletic budgets that are very similar to yours right now. Also, many schools, like mine, make money on basketball. Do your homework before you start throwing around insults. Buy the way just so you know, SDSU has made 23 Men's NCAA apperances (4th most all time) with a National Championship and Runner-Up to our credit and our Women's Program is the Defending National Champions.

Bottom line is this, we are coming up to D I/I AA with or without the Big Sky. We think we can add to your conf. If you don't thinks so that is ok. We are not coming to leatch off of you. We will be playing each other one way or another in the future. I am looking forward to that day. :mad:

Go SDSU.

Hey give Sweetwyne a break. That is his opinion no need to get heated about it. He's not going on your message boards telling you guys you suck and never to join the big sky. This is the griz message board for griz fans and we can say what we want about what we think is good for our program/conference we play in. If we say that we don't want the Dakota schools on our board and we think you guys are no good that is our right because this is EGRIZ.COM not EDAKOTASCHOOLS.COM If sweetwyne were to go say this on your guys' message boards that would be classless and rude. But this is the Griz board and you are guests here so do not try and regulate what grizfans our saying on our board. We appreciate your guy's opinions and love having more people here to make for better posts and debate and you are all very knowlegeable fans but just realize that it his Sweetwyne's right to want Idaho over the Dakota schools. I know I do because of the great rivalry we have and the better immediate competion. That is just my first choice. I would love to see NDSU join the big sky if Idaho doesn't in the next couple years.

Baller1

Living in Western Wyoming I have heard a good bit about Idaho and what will happen to the athletic program there as well as the Utah State issue. What I hear from the Idaho media is that people there would think going back to the Big Sky as huge step backwards. There is also no way that Utah State would even give the BSC as much as a sniff. To think the BSC is going to pick up either of these schools is just silly. There is about as much chance of picking up either of those schools as there is of picking up the Wyoming Cowboys.

The only reason I would rather see NDSU in the BSC rather that the new proposed "Great West Conference" is it would be a home for all sports except wrestling (and NDSU has an exceptional wrestling program). No point to review all argument supporting NDSU's admission to the BSC, as all are familiar with that. The GWC, however, would turn out to be an exciting football conference looking at the potential members.

I am glad to see NDSU renewing its rivalry with Montana. It is great to play a neigboring team that is as top caliber as the Griz. I hope this series continues for a very long time as it is good for both schools to battle with the folks next door.

NO! NO! NO!. the Dakota schools should not be in the Big Sky. The Big Sky does not need a bunch of yuppy DII schools trying to make an upset and say they deserve to be in the Big Sky. The BSC is already run low on great competition and this would further lower it.

It's funny you mention Wyoming. Aren't they averaging about 13,000 for their home games? I'm not sure I would even want them. They don't get very good support.

What are the Cowboys going to do when they get booted from the Mountain West? They are definately on the bubble I'm afraid.

I didn't read all the posts because Im going on vacation (not Montana) and I don't really care if we join the BSC. Our President, Dr. Chapman (familiar to some here) and our AD Dr. Taylor will work this out with your league Presidents and ADs.

NDSU and SDSU will do just fine with or without the BSC. We have strong indications that the Mid Continent is welcoming us. I like that idea very much. Its a great league with a mix of teams from the nationally competitive right down to very avg. If we join it is a great ladder to climb. We can help that league by just being competitive in the first year.
Football looks very good with the Great West lining up. That would be one great league and it would have room for a couple of others too.

Idaho isn't coming back to the BSC. There is a far greater chance that you will see NDSU and SDSU in an expanded BSC.

Also, yuppies and wannabes and hockey all go with und. That's in grand forks. There seems to be a little confusion here.

The BSC is a great conference, member or not. I'm looking forward to a lot of games with all of the BSC schools no matter what happens. We aren't doing too badly so far. We have both Montana and Montana State lined up in football for home/home. I hope those games continue. I haven't seen any of the BB schedules yet.

Baller1 said:
Hey give Sweetwyne a break. That is his opinion no need to get heated about it. He's not going on your message boards telling you guys you suck and never to join the big sky. This is the griz message board for griz fans and we can say what we want about what we think is good for our program/conference we play in. If we say that we don't want the Dakota schools on our board and we think you guys are no good that is our right because this is EGRIZ.COM not EDAKOTASCHOOLS.COM If sweetwyne were to go say this on your guys' message boards that would be classless and rude. But this is the Griz board and you are guests here so do not try and regulate what grizfans our saying on our board. We appreciate your guy's opinions and love having more people here to make for better posts and debate and you are all very knowlegeable fans but just realize that it his Sweetwyne's right to want Idaho over the Dakota schools. I know I do because of the great rivalry we have and the better immediate competion. That is just my first choice. I would love to see NDSU join the big sky if Idaho doesn't in the next couple years.

Baller1

Baller 1,

You are right, Sweetwyne is entitled to his opinion. Not just by virtue of this being eGriz.com, but also because this is America. That being said the only thing I was "heated" about was the inference that the Dakota schools want to get in the Big Sky to bring it down and steal your money. That is an unfiar statement, and if we wrote something similar on our board I would expect you to come the defense of the Griz. As I stated in my post it is ok for you to think we are not a good addition. I just want to make sure your reasons are based on fact rather then fiction. If I have overstepped my bounds as a guest I apologize.

Lastly I do think it is funny that Sweetwyne doesen't want to talk about the Dakotas anymore, yet started a new topic that would obviously fuel the fire of discussion. Just a thought. As I stated before we are coming up, and due to our proximity to each other we will end up playing each other one way or another. That will be fun for all of us.

Let me end again by saying sorry if I offended anyone. I love the Rabbits like you love the Griz. You have a great board and I enjoy the banter. Feel free to visit us at our http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl Its new but growing. Have a great season.

Go Jacks!

rabbit,
I am not trying to say that sweetwyne is completly right. I think Idaho would be a better addition because of the rivalry that already exists and the fact that they are a little more competative. I would not as say the negative things that sweetwyne said about your respective Dakota programs. If you could read some of my earlier posts on this issue I would love to see the Dakota schools come in if Idaho were not able too. I think that they WOULD lower the competativeness of the conference for a couple years but being solid programs that aren't in trouble finacially I believe that they could build up and be formatable apponnents in the BSC. And don't get me wrong and I think I"m speaking for everyone who is a regualar on this board WE LOVE HAVING YOU GUYS ON HERE!!! don't feel like you are not welcome because without outside opinions to help ground us it would not be as good of a board as it is. you know how us grizfans are, if it wasnt' for opponents posting we would probably be talking oursleves up so much that we would be posting thing like. "Craig Ochs should be the next pope" or "Levander Segars should run for president" and "the griz need a shot at the BCS champion cause how can we know who the real #1 team in the country is if they don't play each other" So keep us grounded and KEEP POSTING WE NEED YOU GUYS.

Baller1

Baller1 said:
rabbit,
I am not trying to say that sweetwyne is completly right. I think Idaho would be a better addition because of the rivalry that already exists and the fact that they are a little more competative. I would not as say the negative things that sweetwyne said about your respective Dakota programs. If you could read some of my earlier posts on this issue I would love to see the Dakota schools come in if Idaho were not able too. I think that they WOULD lower the competativeness of the conference for a couple years but being solid programs that aren't in trouble finacially I believe that they could build up and be formatable apponnents in the BSC. And don't get me wrong and I think I"m speaking for everyone who is a regualar on this board WE LOVE HAVING YOU GUYS ON HERE!!! don't feel like you are not welcome because without outside opinions to help ground us it would not be as good of a board as it is. you know how us grizfans are, if it wasnt' for opponents posting we would probably be talking oursleves up so much that we would be posting thing like. "Craig Ochs should be the next pope" or "Levander Segars should run for president" and "the griz need a shot at the BCS champion cause how can we know who the real #1 team in the country is if they don't play each other" So keep us grounded and KEEP POSTING WE NEED YOU GUYS.

Baller1

Baller1 its all good. 8)

I feel just the opposite Rabbit.

Idaho abandoned the Big Sky.
Their program is in shambles.
They draw terrible crowds.
They feel too good for the Big Sky and it would be a step backwards.
Their Kibbie Dome sucks, nobody likes it.

I say screw em' they made their bed now they can lie in it. I would vote to keep them out. NDSU's facilities and program and fans are much more like Montanas than Idahos are.

ronbo said:
I feel just the opposite Rabbit.

Idaho abandoned the Big Sky.
Their program is in shambles.
They draw terrible crowds.
They feel too good for the Big Sky and it would be a step backwards.
Their Kibbie Dome sucks, nobody likes it.

I say screw em' they made their bed now they can lie in it. I would vote to keep them out. NDSU's facilities and program and fans are much more like Montanas than Idahos are.

Thanks ronbo, don't forget us at SDSU (we are a package deal).

Go SDSU!

Living in Western Wyoming I have heard a good bit about Idaho and what will happen to the athletic program there as well as the Utah State issue. What I hear from the Idaho media is that people there would think going back to the Big Sky as huge step backwards. There is also no way that Utah State would even give the BSC as much as a sniff. To think the BSC is going to pick up either of these schools is just silly. There is about as much chance of picking up either of those schools as there is of picking up the Wyoming Cowboys.

They say those things because that is what they have to say so they don't alienate their supporters and make them panic. Truth is, neither may not have a say in the matter if they get forced from I-A. And if they end up in I-AA, where else would they go? They wouldn't be in a geographic anamoly like the Sun Belt. They would keep it regional with rival schools. Utah State, granted, would be a real longshot because they have a 30,000+ seat stadium and have shown the capability to draw crowds on some years since they almost always play either Utah or BYU at home. Idaho is a totally different story. They have a 16,000-seat dome with no certain plans to build a larger outdoor stadium, their attendence is scarce, they can't compete, and they'll now have to play at least one less "money" game because they will have to schedule 5 home games every year against I-A teams beginning in 2004. I want them back in the Big Sky, and so should every Griz fan. Idaho is our second-best rival and they're a close school that wouldcertainly strengthen our conference.

Back